Blatchford Development | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

Blatchford is having another block party to showcase what is happening!

Love it!

Hope they can make this happen soon!

Screenshot_20240829_101340_Gallery.jpg

Well, we do actually have subsurface infrastructure there now, and a MUP connection to the station.
Since our Blatchford residents on this forum haven't been providing much for pics/updates, I thought I would ride over and take some.🙂

This pic is taken from the bike path at Blatchford lrt station. Will be connected soon.
20240830_170532.jpg

Further north along the bike path is this connection that isn't open yet, but further along than the first one.
20240830_170344.jpg

Landscaping is well done (although could use some weeding) and will be very mature by the time many residents move into the community.
20240830_173419.jpg
20240830_173048.jpg

View of downtown from southern edge of neighbourhood.
20240830_172904.jpg

Finally, some bike racks that won't see any bikes for a few years at best. I'm envious because I can't get the city to put a bike rack up at Ezio Faraone Park, haha. I messaged again last month. I usually use a sign post for my bike when I do stairs there and I've seen others using a tree. How can they have none!?
20240830_171829.jpg

Last edited:
Alright - I'll post some pictures of the construction that's going on right now. But people really should check out the event next Saturday for a better look.

Landmark is taking a more deliberate approach - they seem to have completely finished the first row of four townhomes before starting this second one. Landmark's pre-fab approach lets them finish everything quickly once they do get going though...
IMG_9990.jpg

Crimson Cove is plugging along - now framing the last of their 17ish townhomes on Cedric Mah Road. About half of these have garage suites and some also have basement suites.
IMG_9991.jpg

Encore seems to really be in a rhythm now - they broke ground on 11 townhomes on one side of Alpha Blvd earlier this year and have made a lot of progress. They are now pouring foundations on the other side of Alpha. Again - about half these units have garage suites. Not sure about basement suites...
IMG_9994.jpg
IMG_9992.jpg
IMG_9993.jpg

NXBuild has a showhome open now and seems to be pretty close to completion on 12/15 of the units. For some reason, they are just framing up the 3 last units now.
IMG_9996.jpg

Streetside is not messing around - by my count they have about 20 units under construction right now with about 5 of them looking pretty close to ready.
IMG_9997.jpg

And finally, there isn't much to see right now, but the Pilot project is going full out with a lot of underground work. With this being 90 purpose-built rentals, my guess is financing is all in place and they will be able to go full steam ahead.
IMG_9998.jpg

Crimson Cove has been hinting for a while that they are gonna start 4-6 storey apartments soon - my understanding is that they have purchased 3 apartment/condo lots and have applied for the DP already on one project. There is also a DP approved for a 70ish unit condo/apartment project beside the Pilot project that I have no info on...

I guess this Blatchford thing will never get off the ground and we should all admit it is a failed experiment... [sarcasm]

Alright - I'll post some pictures of the construction that's going on right now. But people really should check out the event next Saturday for a better look.

Landmark is taking a more deliberate approach - they seem to have completely finished the first row of four townhomes before starting this second one. Landmark's pre-fab approach lets them finish everything quickly once they do get going though...
View attachment 592634

Crimson Cove is plugging along - now framing the last of their 17ish townhomes on Cedric Mah Road. About half of these have garage suites and some also have basement suites.
View attachment 592635

Encore seems to really be in a rhythm now - they broke ground on 11 townhomes on one side of Alpha Blvd earlier this year and have made a lot of progress. They are now pouring foundations on the other side of Alpha. Again - about half these units have garage suites. Not sure about basement suites...
View attachment 592636View attachment 592637View attachment 592638

NXBuild has a showhome open now and seems to be pretty close to completion on 12/15 of the units. For some reason, they are just framing up the 3 last units now.
View attachment 592640

Streetside is not messing around - by my count they have about 20 units under construction right now with about 5 of them looking pretty close to ready.
View attachment 592644

And finally, there isn't much to see right now, but the Pilot project is going full out with a lot of underground work. With this being 90 purpose-built rentals, my guess is financing is all in place and they will be able to go full steam ahead.
View attachment 592647

Crimson Cove has been hinting for a while that they are gonna start 4-6 storey apartments soon - my understanding is that they have purchased 3 apartment/condo lots and have applied for the DP already on one project. There is also a DP approved for a 70ish unit condo/apartment project beside the Pilot project that I have no info on...

I guess this Blatchford thing will never get off the ground and we should all admit it is a failed experiment... [sarcasm]

Thanks for sharing. Agreed - people should check out the neighbourhood.

@fjordgard it seems the Landmark townhomes don't have as many sold as the other builders. Do you know why that might be? It looks like price point is $610,000+ for 1,500 sq ft home with unfinished basement, which has potential for a suite.

I thought I would ride over and take some.🙂
Funny, I had the same thought yesterday. The pics that you two shared are great, so I'll just supplement with some different views of the path connection.

The incomplete path connection, right by the NAIT/Blatchford Market stop
20240830_152411.jpg

The nearly-completed connection, which is a little further from the station (as shown in the third picture)
20240830_152705.jpg
20240830_152712.jpg
20240830_152742.jpg

A little further down from that, the first road connection on the east side is coming along too
20240830_153031.jpg
20240830_153005.jpg
20240830_153021.jpg

And lastly, a little peek at the roadwork going on in the eastern area
20240830_152554.jpg

Off topic, but I also noticed that the nearby streetlights and traffic lights still have the red warning lights for low-flying aircraft, and I just thought it was cool.
20240830_154216.jpg
20240830_154231(0).jpg

Thanks for sharing. Agreed - people should check out the neighbourhood.

@fjordgard it seems the Landmark townhomes don't have as many sold as the other builders. Do you know why that might be? It looks like price point is $610,000+ for 1,500 sq ft home with unfinished basement, which has potential for a suite.
I don’t really know why Landmark is selling slower than other builders. The price point isn’t that different from similar products in the neighbourhood. They are the only builder using air source heat pumps. I would have thought that would be more attractive to some people but who knows…

View attachment 592634

View attachment 592635

View attachment 592636View attachment 592637View attachment 592638

View attachment 592640

View attachment 592644

View attachment 592647

This is an awesome update. Thanks for taking the time to share. Very cool.

I don’t really know why Landmark is selling slower than other builders. The price point isn’t that different from similar products in the neighbourhood. They are the only builder using air source heat pumps. I would have thought that would be more attractive to some people but who knows…
They look pretty bland imo vs some other models. Might be why? Not the strongest front facades.

They look pretty bland imo vs some other models. Might be why? Not the strongest front facades.
When the other half and I were looking, we liked the Landmark homes and it was down to them and Encore. The Landmark home was nice, and very reasonably priced, but we got more of what we wanted out of the Encore. The basement suite, for instance, was finished from the get-go and has a fully separate entrance. Having a large patio to hold COVID-safe social gatherings has also been a boon. Also, Landmark's approach of not connecting to the District Energy system is probably fine, but we figured the District Energy approach will probably outperform Landmark's in winter because the latter would have to fall back on plain old resistive heating any time the temperature falls to -20C.

But also, probably about half of it came down to timing. Because Encore had houses in several stages of completion, we could get one at a stage where we could still customize the finishes and certain features (we added HEPA and UV-C filtration to our air circulation, for instance), and get into it this summer, while for Landmark we were looking at this new series of builds and that would still be a while.

Funny, I had the same thought yesterday. The pics that you two shared are great, so I'll just supplement with some different views of the path connection.

The incomplete path connection, right by the NAIT/Blatchford Market stop
View attachment 592683

The nearly-completed connection, which is a little further from the station (as shown in the third picture)
View attachment 592680View attachment 592682View attachment 592681

A little further down from that, the first road connection on the east side is coming along too
View attachment 592686View attachment 592689View attachment 592688

And lastly, a little peek at the roadwork going on in the eastern area
View attachment 592690

Off topic, but I also noticed that the nearby streetlights and traffic lights still have the red warning lights for low-flying aircraft, and I just thought it was cool.
View attachment 592692View attachment 592693
I was out doing a bit of recce before riding to the downtown market, and took a lot of the exact same pictures yesterday because of course we're all looking for the same sorts of things. At night I've noticed that there's a whole line of approach lights that actually light up along the approach line for old Runway 30, extending well SE of the traffic lights.

Last edited:

Back