What do you think of this project?

• I neither like nor dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it

• I dislike it a lot

• Total voters
So friends. Had a nice walk with one of the guys on the community league last night! Hoping I can join the board soon. Maybe even in primary leadership role as the whole board admits they are old and need some young blood.

We have young friends in the area we want to invite in also.

Enough of the nimbyism and seeing all change as bad. Time for this community to become attractive, family focused, inclusive to smaller dwellings, more walkable and bikeable.

Sadly the community league sounded like all it did was fight proposals. No mention of building community, events, parks, sports. Just "these are the fights ahead."

Wish me luck! Hoping to bring change. This Jasper place neighbourhlld will go through a lot the next 10 years with west LRT and density pressures. Hope we can embrace thoughtful, quality designs and build a vibrant community.
Good luck. Hopefully you don't have to fist fight any boomers. ;)

Good luck. Hopefully you don't have to fist fight any boomers. ;)
I like to find the connection points, then go for the wooing. We'll see it it works! One guy did an mba, another said he was a cyclist....so I'm finding common ground to get ins with haha.

Anyone have books recommendations I could share with the board eventually? I was thinking Happy Cities as an easy start to give them something to learn about good city design and policy.

So friends. Had a nice walk with one of the guys on the community league last night! Hoping I can join the board soon. Maybe even in primary leadership role as the whole board admits they are old and need some young blood.

We have young friends in the area we want to invite in also.

Enough of the nimbyism and seeing all change as bad. Time for this community to become attractive, family focused, inclusive to smaller dwellings, more walkable and bikeable.

Sadly the community league sounded like all it did was fight proposals. No mention of building community, events, parks, sports. Just "these are the fights ahead."

Wish me luck! Hoping to bring change. This Jasper place neighbourhlld will go through a lot the next 10 years with west LRT and density pressures. Hope we can embrace thoughtful, quality designs and build a vibrant community.

Great to hear your enthusiasm, I think most people on their forum will think it's a great idea.

But, just to play devil's advocate...this specific project serves as a good cautionary tale. From what I have heard it was the old show a pretty picture, get your upzoning on the land, flip the land with no intention of actually building it.

The things I heard about this particular project may be wrong...but the lesson is don't judge the whole project (for better or worse) by the pretty picture

I like to find the connection points, then go for the wooing. We'll see it it works! One guy did an mba, another said he was a cyclist....so I'm finding common ground to get ins with haha.

Anyone have books recommendations I could share with the board eventually? I was thinking Happy Cities as an easy start to give them something to learn about good city design and policy.
In my experience, I've found that a lot of the boomer types respond better to financial arguments when it comes to city building. If you can convince them of the financial need to stop sprawl and densify mature neighbourhoods, that's a very good first step. From there it's a lot easier to convince them of other important city building aspects and start chipping away at the NIMBYism.

Maybe try giving them some strong towns stuff, or other easy to read jumping off points.

In my experience, I've found that a lot of the boomer types respond better to financial arguments when it comes to city building. If you can convince them of the financial need to stop sprawl and densify mature neighbourhoods, that's a very good first step. From there it's a lot easier to convince them of other important city building aspects and start chipping away at the NIMBYism.

Maybe try giving them some strong towns stuff, or other easy to read jumping off points.
This is key in my experience. The average person doesn't (think they) care about whether denser cities are more liveable and more environmentally sustainable. Arguing those views usually only gets emotional responses about how much they like their yard, don't mind driving everywhere, and don't want more neighbours. However people are usually more open to conversations about how the neighbourhood they live in is financially unsustainable and depends on new suburbs being built to pay for their infrastructure. It's a much more quantitative discussion and easier to rationalize for most people since it doesn't depend opinion, or what seems like opinion. There's plenty of qualitative research showing denser cities lead to people being happier and healthier, but telling people that often just leads to discussions about their personal experience/opinion since it's a more abstract discussion, "well I'm perfectly healthy right now, and I don't think it would make me happier"

@cmd uw any chance this rezoning or project would come back on the books with WVLRT advancing and the upcoming city zoning changes?
I hope that if not this one, more pop up in the area. Logical and beautiful projects like this which add amenities to struggling areas like this have basically no reason to be shot down like this one has (unless something really is off/wrong about the proposal).

I hope that if not this one, more pop up in the area. Logical and beautiful projects like this which add amenities to struggling areas like this have basically no reason to be shot down like this one has (unless something really is off/wrong about the proposal).
The Jasper Park community league has started a petition against a similar proposal. So im starting a counter petition haha.

Would love if you guys could sign this and send to a few friends each! Time to fight the nimbys at their own game! https://chng.it/t7HSsnLHpd

Back