Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Daveography

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
1549913269637.png

The proposed development would allow for a mixed-use building facing 153 Street NW and 95 Avenue NW. The proposal includes:
  • Street-oriented row housing facing 153 Street
  • Four-storey apartment housing with ground level commercial facing 95 Avenue with opportunities for:
    • General retail
    • Restaurants
    • Professional, Financial and Office Services

• FAR 1.6
  • 41 units
  • 5 family-oriented dwellings at grade
  • Minimum 20 secure bicycle parking stalls + 10 public
1549913475243.png
1549913493171.png

https://www.edmonton.ca/residential_neighbourhoods/neighbourhoods/9504-153-street-nw.aspx

Now, this is the stuff that we will need more of if we are to fit 2 million people on the same amount of land we have right now.

I don't have a problem with it. After seeing what Beljan did with that dump of a shopping centre in Lynwood, they really can't do any harm to what's already a drab corner.

@Daveography it really is a shame, though. People living in these areas have to realize that if they were willing to let all those 3-4 storey 1960's and 70's apartments be built, the will have to be more rational when it comes to the possibility of building newer and better designed apartment buildings like this one. I would compare this to how people reacted when Westblock was initially proposed. Like, you are very opposed to this modern and beautifully designed condo currently, yet you opened the doors for Crescent Place be built right across the way. I'm not saying that every proposal should be welcomed with open arms, but that every proposal should be looked at carefully and not brushed to the side right away...

Back at Council on June 17:
http://sirepub.edmonton.ca/sirepub/mtgviewer.aspx?meetid=2264&doctype=AGENDA (3.8 & 3.9)

On March 28, 2019, City Planning met with the applicant, the property owners to the north and community league representatives to discuss the application. The community indicated three options, with the best case scenario having the development comply with the Jasper Place Area Redevelopment Plan. The following is a summary of the options presented:
1. Preferred Option: any supported built form in the Active Edge Housing precinct of the ARP (single/semi/row housing with garden and/or secondary suites, small scale commercial with associated residential uses)​
2. Stacked Row Housing: this would appeal to families​
3. Least Supported: apartment housing, as there have been several issues associated with the existing large volume of apartment buildings in the neighbourhood. Apartments would very reluctantly be accepted if:​
a. all ground floor units are 3-bedroom family units​
b. there is no commercial component (as the multi-family precinct does not allow commercial on sites other than 156 Street NW).​
c. three quarters of parking is underground​
d. surface parking is visually screened from the building and surrounding areas​

The applicant indicated that the proposal would remain as an apartment building with a commercial component, but offered some alterations to the built form and unit size/count in order to encourage more family dwellings.

One month following the meeting, the applicant provided the following revisions from the original proposal:
● reduction in total number of residential units from 41 to 37​
● reduction of Floor Area Ratio from 1.6 to 1.5​
● increase in number of 3-bedroom dwellings from unspecified (likely two) to five at ground level​
● increase in number of 2-bedroom dwellings from unspecified (likely eleven) to fifteen​
● additional 1.7 m stepback for the 4th storey on the north facade​
● limitation to only one Bar and Neighbourhood Pub, Restaurant or Specialty Food Service, with a limitation of maximum 150 m2 of public space or 125 occupants.​

Back