What do you think of this project?

• I neither like nor dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it

• I dislike it a lot

• Total voters
I know, I guess I'm not surprised with the push back but really disappointed with the outcome. I am really disappointed, but hope Beljan counters with another offering if possible.
I hope it's not dead. I can't believe this city, what am I missing with this deal ,what was wrong, progress?

I'm sharpening my pitchfork(s) to protest the next push for sprawl past Henday though, this city sometimes makes me wish I was a Calgarytopian. OK, cancel that !

Man, sad I just moved into this neighbourhood. This is 2 blocks from my house. I would be such a big supporter of more projects like this. Especially with the west lrt sherwood stop 3 blocks west of here and the new bus routes prioritizing 95th ave as a main artery. 1 or 2 ground floor retail bays would be incredible here. And so many of the corner lots are trashy. Run down and abandoned houses. The traffic around here is minimal too, so we could handle the density increase easily.

@cmd who i think is at beljan? If you guys propose something here again and need community support, let me know. A bunch of my friends and I in our 20s have bought here recently and can speak up in support instead of it being all the nimby old timers who want the same boring neighborhoods they've had for 40 years.

I can't believe we still need to debate and fight for buildings like this. A four story building that brings commercial spaces and new residents to the neighbourhood? That should be allowed along every arterial in the city, no debate needed. This is why cities struggle to build missing middle housing, communities fight back against gradual density so developers are forced to only build massive towers downtown, instead of more human scaled developments that some may prefer.

Man, sad I just moved into this neighbourhood. This is 2 blocks from my house. I would be such a big supporter of more projects like this. Especially with the west lrt sherwood stop 3 blocks west of here and the new bus routes prioritizing 95th ave as a main artery. 1 or 2 ground floor retail bays would be incredible here. And so many of the corner lots are trashy. Run down and abandoned houses. The traffic around here is minimal too, so we could handle the density increase easily.

@cmd who i think is at beljan? If you guys propose something here again and need community support, let me know. A bunch of my friends and I in our 20s have bought here recently and can speak up in support instead of it being all the nimby old timers who want the same boring neighborhoods they've had for 40 years.

But, the former TOWN of Jasper Place needs to retain that historic character - old timer residents that remember when Jasper Place only had gravel roads and evening shopping.

...and no sidewalks. Hell, I remember when Delton (where I grew from seedling to sapling) had gravel roads, door-to-door milkmen and breadmen and, from where I grew up, was only two blocks from a street-car. I had a 25-cent/week allowance and it got me into the Avenue theatre and supplied me with a coke plus a bag of popcorn on Matinee Saturdays where we had two feature films, half-a-dozen cartoon shorts, a newsreel and a raucous load of fun. Those were the days of door-to-door encyclopedia salesmen, "Avon Calling", and vacuum cleaner hoofers. Our front and back doors were never locked, I rode my bike to school, and we played pick-up baseball and soccer in the street. A little later Bob Dylan said "the times they are a'changin'" and boy was he right!

Its too bad. The building looks very nice in the pictures and 4 stories is reasonable for the location. It could have added a bit of vibrancy to the neighbourhood, but I suppose some people who live their must really want boring lives.

I have noticed that there is a bit of snobbery or elitism of some home owners to those that live in rental accommodation, but I really doubt a nice new building like this would be full of criminals or gasp ... potentially worse than that poor people.

It is a shame some people are so narrow in their views and allow their fears and prejudices overcome common sense.

Ya, as someone who lives here, many of the houses are rough. Ugly, poorly kept. Its already a 50% rental neighbourhood. So idk what people are concerned about? Here's some pics I took today to show the corner. Accross from it is a school field and a church. Its a perfect location! Ugh.
20210309_173805.jpg
20210309_173807.jpg
20210309_173810.jpg
20210309_173812.jpg
20210309_173817.jpg
20210309_173819.jpg
20210309_173919.jpg

Yes, we were just managing this project on behalf of the landowner. It was too bad that Council didn't think this was an appropriate land use for the area.
Good time to go back to Council - could just mute all the nimbys on Zoom.

Was it basically rejected because of the rental argument and out of scale for the area? Why bother spending money on the LRT if you aren't going to approve developments like this? Short-sighted and downright stupid if you ask me.

So friends. Had a nice walk with one of the guys on the community league last night! Hoping I can join the board soon. Maybe even in primary leadership role as the whole board admits they are old and need some young blood.

We have young friends in the area we want to invite in also.

Enough of the nimbyism and seeing all change as bad. Time for this community to become attractive, family focused, inclusive to smaller dwellings, more walkable and bikeable.

Sadly the community league sounded like all it did was fight proposals. No mention of building community, events, parks, sports. Just "these are the fights ahead."

Wish me luck! Hoping to bring change. This Jasper place neighbourhlld will go through a lot the next 10 years with west LRT and density pressures. Hope we can embrace thoughtful, quality designs and build a vibrant community.

Back