10123 106 Street | 155.14m | 50s | Westrich Pacific | Arc Studio

What do you think of this project?

• I dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it a lot

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
@Daveography, I want to say that the fire code likely has a role in the design decision -- limited wall openings abutting an alley? Also massing related to adjacent towers/towers-to-be probably played significantly into the vertical scale of the building

I must say, I don't mind the way that this tower looks at all, actually. I do think that the south face of the mid-size tower could be less boring, but besides that, I think this tower is pretty cool! It'll also look cool from the new warehouse park, also.

Sigh, another underwhelming Kennedy/Arc Studio design.

I know the architect only has so much control and ultimately it's what the customer wants, but man, I don't think I've ever been able to say that one of their designs is beautiful. They've made some really questionable design choices over the years, as Daveography has pointed out.

@StopDropandLOL the Symphony and the Pearl are two exceptionally well designed condominium projects from that office and the Glenora addition/reno is exceptionally well designed as well IMHO.

The Symphony's South Elevation looks good, as does the podium's thoughtful integration into the hill with the townhouses. It falls short in my mind at the back, which is a big problem and been my top criticism of BZKA/BKA/Kennedy/Arc designs. When you consider they've designed a good chunk of the recent high rise residential condos in Downtown, their designs aren't cohesive. If you look at the Omega as an example, just look at the back of it. It's like they forgot to finish designing it. The Icons are the same, so are the Foxes, and The Quest seems like they only bothered to design the top 7 floors and just left the rest.

But at the same time, I know the Symphony was designed in the mid 2000s, which was a totally different time in our City. The Pearl set the bar considerably higher design wise, but we still have a long way to go.

Don't get me wrong though, it's just my opinion and I totally respect your viewpoint as an experienced architect.

Last edited:
I completely agree with your points @StopDropandLOL -- I was just trying to point out that not all of their work is faulty, and in some ways, under Brad's (now deceased) tutelage, they have been much more adventurous than other architectural firms, especially in massing and form (current project excepted). They, more than any others in the residential field in Edmonton, have led the way in breaking the oh-so-boring mold of rectilinear architecture that is so common for this City's slate of towers. It is refreshing for me to see designs that knock the hard edges off commonality.

It is. Shouldn't matter, it's a terrible design decision that gave us the backsides of Icon towers.

You can do creative things with blank walls so that they don't take away from a project. A good example is the Charleston in Vancouver and how they used a "splash of paint" to cover up the drab feeling an elevator shaft can create.

499_pacific_street_a.jpg

Back