News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Downtown

When a few of us were walking around a few weeks ago, we commented on how some key areas that was receiving cleaning looked like it had not been touched in a very long time, if at all...

Downtown cleanliness is not about what it was 10 years ago, a place with a lot of people and a few absent minded dropping a candy or food wrapper.

The current problems are closely related to the bigger social disorder problems with people who have no better place to go. Lets just say they make a huge mess and destroy a lot of things.

Its like having a heard of elephants around, so yes you would need a lot of people to follow and scoop up after them.

I seem to recall the Premier recently saying she was standing by to help Edmonton. Really? Every time we ask for something, we seem to get a no from her.

Hire Good is out 7 days a week in the 'key' areas that IanO talks about. I would debate that these are actually pretty clean most of the time. But agree with sentiment that most of the issues are as a result of social disoder and you can clean an area now and 20 minutes later someone empties garbage can onto the street. It requires constant vigilance.

Downtown cleanliness is not about what it was 10 years ago, a place with a lot of people and a few absent minded dropping a candy or food wrapper.
I would also argue that Businesses/Landlords have taken a less active role in maintaining the cleanliness of their properties in favor of blaming the city. IMO they used to take a greater degree of pride/responsibility for cleanliness but it definitely seems like they have reduced their cleaning staff to cut costs. I can empathize with them somewhat as it does seem like the problem is greater and continuing to pay for cleanup would get tiresome but as was said earlier "you get what you tolerate". I think at least to some degree this fits into the greater trend of businesses offloading costs to increase their profitability.

Speaking of cleaning, Community and Public Services Committee just recommended to continue to fund the City Centre Optimization Pilot, which is the enhanced cleaning that was funded by the province last year. So a small win for 2024.
They're going to "stretch the program to October 2024." But of course any future funding were "but the applications were unsuccessful" with the AB gov't.

I went for a walk downtown tonight between 8 PM and 10 PM. I started on 109th St. and made my way to 99th St. and walked up and down between 103rd Ave. and Jasper Avenue. I am pleased to report that the graffiti on the old Birks building on 104 Street Has been cleaned up. It was of course very quiet downtown but until I crossed 101st St. things were pretty clean with little graffiti except for that annoying tag on the new law office building on 108 Street and 102 Avenue. But once you cross 101 Street and get closer to Churchill Square it was quite sad to see all the homeless people. Some were completely passed out some were in mental distress and a lot of small groups doing I don’t know what. Several kids all in red riding their bikes around. Very sad to see that part of downtown like that.
IMG_7699.jpeg

City opens applications for Downtown Vibrancy Fund​

April 9, 2024

News media are invited to join Councillor Anne Stevenson and Tom Girvan, Director of Downtown Vibrancy and Safe City, and downtown partners for an announcement on the City’s Downtown Vibrancy Fund, which continues to support projects led by businesses and organizations in the heart of our city.

Date: Wednesday, April 10
Time: 9 a.m.

For more information:
edmonton.ca/Downtown

Media contact:
Courtney Bettin
Communications Advisor
Urban Planning and Economy
780-288-5922​

I went for a walk downtown tonight between 8 PM and 10 PM. I started on 109th St. and made my way to 99th St. and walked up and down between 103rd Ave. and Jasper Avenue. I am pleased to report that the graffiti on the old Birks building on 104 Street Has been cleaned up. It was of course very quiet downtown but until I crossed 101st St. things were pretty clean with little graffiti except for that annoying tag on the new law office building on 108 Street and 102 Avenue. But once you cross 101 Street and get closer to Churchill Square it was quite sad to see all the homeless people. Some were completely passed out some were in mental distress and a lot of small groups doing I don’t know what. Several kids all in red riding their bikes around. Very sad to see that part of downtown like that. View attachment 554860
Groups of kids "all in RED," eh? Yup, we all know who they are.......

Back