News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Downtown

See... it also mis-numbered or allocated the number of Starbucks locations -- Google is falling apart.

Just got out of Winterval and on the Valley Line rn and that was a great initiative! Downtown was pretty busy in the Ice District and 104 St and Rice Howard!

The ice sculptures on 104? Brilliant, we need more of those types of things around downtown during the winter months.

The only thing is that there were people loitering in both the Churchill and 102 St stations and once again, no Peace Officers, Security or EPS. The people loitering were pretty harmless, but were crowded around station entrances. I understand people being hesitant when they see them though, and I think that should be something that should be considered when attracting more off peak ridership on LRT lines. (I mostly ride off peak hours)

I’ve got to say though, it’s much less than what it was last year from my experience. If they keep this momentum up with more residents/events in the next year or two? I’m quite optimistic at downtown moving forward.

Just got out of Winterval and on the Valley Line rn and that was a great initiative! Downtown was pretty busy in the Ice District and 104 St and Rice Howard!

The ice sculptures on 104? Brilliant, we need more of those types of things around downtown during the winter months.

The only thing is that there were people loitering in both the Churchill and 102 St stations and once again, no Peace Officers, Security or EPS. The people loitering were pretty harmless, but were crowded around station entrances. I understand people being hesitant when they see them though, and I think that should be something that should be considered when attracting more off peak ridership on LRT lines. (I mostly ride off peak hours)

I’ve got to say though, it’s much less than what it was last year from my experience. If they keep this momentum up with more residents/events in the next year or two? I’m quite optimistic at downtown moving forward.
Saw no cops tonight during 4hrs at winterval. You’d think they’d have a presence… library had dozens of people inside and out that were on drugs and not doing well, pretty discouraging. Winterval was a big success though imo and for a new event launch, should be very proud.

Wild to see the difference between All is Bright on 124th street and this though. 10% of the turnout. And ironically, the parking and traffic would have been better downtown than all the people helplessly driving around westmount for non existent street parking ahah. Likely speaks to the perception issues sadly.

Saw no cops tonight during 4hrs at winterval. You’d think they’d have a presence… library had dozens of people inside and out that were on drugs and not doing well, pretty discouraging. Winterval was a big success though imo and for a new event launch, should be very proud.

Wild to see the difference between All is Bright on 124th street and this though. 10% of the turnout. And ironically, the parking and traffic would have been better downtown than all the people helplessly driving around westmount for non existent street parking ahah. Likely speaks to the perception issues sadly.
Cops got their salary funding settlement, they’re back to doing below the bare minimum once again! Wooooo

But I’m in complete agreement, Winterval was a great success for its first year! 104 and 103 St were quite alive. I’d say that All is Bright just has stronger name recognition, but the perception issues do play a strong role. Again, it doesn’t help that there aren’t really as much EPS or Peace Officers on foot today. Still, with events like these, I truly believe downtown is on an upward trajectory finally.

Big point on the traffic/parking lmao. Transit connections to Winterval are much better (hence why I took the Valley Line). There just needs to be a stronger promotion of this next year and I think it’ll be another success! Personally hoping that all of 104 St north of Jasper gets pedestrianized during this festival.

All is Bright on 124th street and this though. 10% of the turnout.
All is bright was particularly busy this year. From a visual perception point, looked like 3x or more the usual turnout.
I guess weather played a major factor. Temperatures were above freezing even at night, for All is bright.

All is bright was particularly busy this year. From a visual perception point, looked like 3x or more the usual turnout.
I guess weather played a major factor. Temperatures were above freezing even at night, for All is bright.

Winter Whyte Light Up was the week after the 124st event and also didn't have near the numbers.
The weather wasn't as good but I also think it speaks to All is Bright being a 'cooler' event that included being out on the street for a few blocks closed to vehicles, open shops and various fun activities.

Glad to hear Downtown had some activity and folks meandering.

'Saw no cops tonight during 4hrs at winterval. You’d think they’d have a presence…'

I simply do not get this at all. In any other Downtown you regularly see officers, beats and a presence, but I rarely, if ever, see officers in the core and on foot.

Glad to hear Downtown had some activity and folks meandering.

'Saw no cops tonight during 4hrs at winterval. You’d think they’d have a presence…'

I simply do not get this at all. In any other Downtown you regularly see officers, beats and a presence, but I rarely, if ever, see officers in the core and on foot.
Sister in laws dad is one of the top dogs at EPS. And his wife used to work high up in ETS. Talking with them both was mind blowing. Absolutely not the right attitudes and perspectives to fix our problems and honestly explained a lot.

Oh, and they live in St. Albert 🙃

Downtown Winterval had a ton of private security and new Downtown Ambassadors. Likely having cops wasn't necessary.

All is Bright it was 12C that day. I heard some on Whyte were disappointed with numbers at their light-up but also heard media reports it's been busier overall on Whyte this year due to the nice weather.

Hard to tell numbers for Winterval as it was a bit more spread out and over 2 days not 1 but likely not quite as busy. There was at least 500 for each headliner each night.

Downtown Winterval had a ton of private security and new Downtown Ambassadors. Likely having cops wasn't necessary.

All is Bright it was 12C that day. I heard some on Whyte were disappointed with numbers at their light-up but also heard media reports it's been busier overall on Whyte this year due to the nice weather.

Hard to tell numbers for Winterval as it was a bit more spread out and over 2 days not 1 but likely not quite as busy. There was at least 500 for each headliner each night.
I think we would need to see an event like WInterval happening every day and night in order to really boost downtown. One-offs are nice, but the benefit doesn't stick around. I'm not sure how we make more of a permanent attraction DT on the same scale?

Sister in laws dad is one of the top dogs at EPS. And his wife used to work high up in ETS. Talking with them both was mind blowing. Absolutely not the right attitudes and perspectives to fix our problems and honestly explained a lot.

Oh, and they live in St. Albert 🙃

Are you able to elaborate on this?

Back