RW & CO.
HUDSON'S BAY
H&M
(THE) BODY SHOP
BELOW THE BELT
AÉROPOSTALE
AMERICAN EAGLE OUTFITTERS

Yup, that's Downtown REGINA Edmonton...

Their main mall is Downtown, ours is not, but it is still telling. Downtown Edmonton MUST find a way to attract and retail more destination, independent and practical retail.
I agree but still problematic with malls like WEM, Southgate and Kingsway, also South Edmonton Common doesn't help either.
I keep wondering what other services and/or retailer's will give the downtown a bigger boost?

Reference ID:Job No 444707468-002
Description:Interior Alteration
Plan NB Blk 9 Lots 64-66
Applicant:MALT AND MEADOW
Create Date:8/19/2022 2:07:54 PM
Neighbourhood:DOWNTOWN

I agree but still problematic with malls like WEM, Southgate and Kingsway, also South Edmonton Common doesn't help either.
I keep wondering what other services and/or retailer's will give the downtown a bigger boost?
Occurs to me that someone should take a page out of WEM's playbook - WEM had a practice of operating a bunch of stores and smaller scale attractions in spaces that otherwise would have been vacant. I think this kind of coordinated backfill would do wonders for downtown as a whole. Just need a benevolent multi-millionaire who wants to boost the downtown, or have a city agency take this on.

Occurs to me that someone should take a page out of WEM's playbook - WEM had a practice of operating a bunch of stores and smaller scale attractions in spaces that otherwise would have been vacant. I think this kind of coordinated backfill would do wonders for downtown as a whole. Just need a benevolent multi-millionaire who wants to boost the downtown, or have a city agency take this on.
That’s a compelling idea. What are some of your suggestions?

That’s a compelling idea. What are some of your suggestions?
WEM did things like glow in the dark mini golf, souvenirs, go karts... the goal would be just to break even, you could do a bunch of specialty retail, hobby shops, t shirt shops, flag store, escape game, citadel theater ticket outlet, arts and crafts, local makers markets/pop ups, home knickknacks, candy, arcade, unique vending machines, laser tag etc.

WEM did things like glow in the dark mini golf, souvenirs, go karts... the goal would be just to break even, you could do a bunch of specialty retail, hobby shops, t shirt shops, flag store, escape game, citadel theater ticket outlet, arts and crafts, local makers markets/pop ups, home knickknacks, candy, arcade, unique vending machines, laser tag etc.

The city as actually made great strides in making downtown more attractive for people to live and play but it’s also had setbacks, some manufactured, that stifle development. Confusing parking restrictions, high rent costs (relative to the suburbs, not other downtowns), age and incomes of downtown residents, downtown crime, and a shortage of mixed use development, all have factored in to why things like arcades don’t move in.

I think not having a downtown Rec room as an example, is a huge missed opportunity, but I suspect they looked at ice district, saw the price per square foot, and felt risk adverse.

It’s quite a conundrum, but I think we should feel accomplishment for the gains the city has made since the late 2000s in such a short time. It’s only fair considering how critical we are of the blunders we see.

It’s quite a conundrum, but I think we should feel accomplishment for the gains the city has made since the late 2000s in such a short time. It’s only fair considering how critical we are of the blunders we see.
I remember when there were hay bales at 104 Ave +109th-ish in the mid-90s... so yes, it's come a long way

Back