News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Downtown

Let's face it, gentrification is mostly a problem in NYC (where the term originated). So much of Edmonton needs so much capital invested, desperately, to even get close to where NYC or other cities are at in terms of urban experience, that we are no where close to their problems. We need quite a bit more gentrification, we are starved for it, just look around at the burnt out east end.

I hope you have the confidence to go to these communities and tell them this verbatim. Just because things are not New York level does not mean there isn't gentrification here. Anything that displaces already marginalized people so that wealthier classes can move in and profit from that displacement is bad. The callousness of this post is not great.
Are people on this thread honestly arguing that shelters are "good"? Even their advocates recognize they were only supposed to be a temporary solution, until we can get folks into permanent supportive housing. It is a tragedy that they have become a permanent fixture and speaks to failure of society.

I don't think anybody is suggesting that? There's a difference between acknowledging the presence of shelters and the desire of capital to push through them with gentrification and saying shelters are great. They aren't. They exist because other supports do not. Ideally, those in shelters should have access to safe and adequate housing and that is something we need to do, imo. But bulldozing sites where the unhoused congregate or otherwise alienating them, as profit driven real estate often resorts to, back up by the police, is an inadequate solution and further marginalizes such folks.
I would rather see yesterday's market-built luxury homes become today's affordable housing, rather than specifically building affordable housing, which can look bad and harm the cityscape. Let the older stock serve as a natural form of affordable housing.

All this requires to work is ongoing market housing built today to meet demand.

This is separate from supportive housing which is desperately needed today (i.e. w/ social supports built in).

This is a very North American mindset. Public and affordable housing is often designed to exist only for those who truly have no other options and will be less likely to complain about inadequate shelter. In other places in the world, affordable housing can be beautiful.

Vienna:
Karl-Marx-Hof_2009.jpg

via https://images.jacobinmag.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/09120836/Karl-Marx-Hof_2009.jpg

Brussels
Arch2O-worlds-3-most-successful-public-housing-projects-6-1536x1047.jpg

via https://www.arch2o.com/successful-public-housing-projects/

Asturias (Spain)
stringio.jpg

via https://www.archdaily.com/153189/so...ource=search&ad_medium=search_result_projects

Amsterdam
amsterdam-2000px-3.jpg

via https://assemblepapers.com.au/2018/12/13/amsterdam-social-housing-a-primer/

Last edited:
The misunderstood axiom of Capitalism -- "if you lift up the bottom, the top also rises". At one point in my life (thankfully many years ago) an error in judgement caused me to lose everything. I can tell you from personal experience that when you are "down" -- and I mean really down -- it is e-x-t-r-e-m-e-l-y difficult to lift yourself back up again. Every avenue of opportunity closes itself off. Bankers show you the door; institutions look past you and call out "next!", and even family can look upon you as some kind of pariah. With guidance across a broad spectrum, we should be individualizing solutions on a case by case basis, helping the downtrodden to find solutions -- it might include counseling, it certainly should include attending to basics -- food, shelter, and a map to opportunity. This shouldn't even be an argument.

Last edited:
Had the ICEHOUSE BURGER last night at Rocky Mountain Ice House and it blew me away how delicious it was. I didn't snap a pic, but you need to try this burger.

(Grilled Alberta sirloin beef, arugula, tomato, red onion, pickles & our signature burger sauce, toasted brioche bun with bacon and cheese)

Had the ICEHOUSE BURGER last night at Rocky Mountain Ice House and it blew me away how delicious it was. I didn't snap a pic, but you need to try this burger.

(Grilled Alberta sirloin beef, arugula, tomato, red onion, pickles & our signature burger sauce, toasted brioche bun with bacon and cheese)
Omg me loves a good burger like that 🍔 throw off the tomato and I’d like it even better 🍅🙅‍♂️

Description: To construct Interior Alteration - Quesada Burritos & Tacos
Permit date: February 8, 2021
Type: Building Permit
Subtype: (03) Interior Alterations
Category: Commercial Final
Class: Restaurants and Bars (540)
Address: 10834 - JASPER AVENUE NW
Neighbourhood: DOWNTOWN
Zoning: JAMSC
Value: $140,000.00

Description: To construct Interior Alteration - Quesada Burritos & Tacos
Permit date: February 8, 2021
Type: Building Permit
Subtype: (03) Interior Alterations
Category: Commercial Final
Class: Restaurants and Bars (540)
Address: 10834 - JASPER AVENUE NW
Zoning: JAMSC
Value: $140,000.00
Love it! Close to home!!!

Looks like a new HK style cafe?

Reference ID: Job No 386021553-002
Description: To install (1) Fascia On-Premises Sign(s) (PHOENIX DINER)
Plan 1222211 Blk 8 Lot 46A
Applicant: LED PROS LTD.
Create Date: 2/8/2021 2:54:06 PM

Looks like a new HK style cafe?

Reference ID: Job No 386021553-002
Description: To install (1) Fascia On-Premises Sign(s) (PHOENIX DINER)
Plan 1222211 Blk 8 Lot 46A
Applicant: LED PROS LTD.
Create Date: 2/8/2021 2:54:06 PM
The more Hong Kong food we have in town, the better!

It could also mean HugsKisses, Hard Knocks, Harmon/Kardon, Hostile Kids, Housekeeping, and the list goes on... I too didn't get the Hong Kong reference since the food is not Asian in any context (at least not outside of the Philippines). I think Ian just wants us to think of him as a "hip" world traveler and that there is no deeper reference than that (HK means Hip Kid)... or -- in abbreviated style -- a SAWTHKE 🧐

Last edited:
ummmm mmmkay.

Sure acronyms are vague at times, but HK is almost always Hong Kong folks.

ummmm mmmkay.

Sure acronyms are vague at times, but HK is almost always Hong Kong folks.
ummmmm mmmkay... i would hazard a guess that there is a pretty large contingent of canadians - and an even larger contingent of americans - that would be using hk as an acronym for heckler and koch before hong kong.

Back