News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Downtown

^Talked to Loblaws security, they are right at the escalator, so they haven't had a lot of problems so far.

With 50% less people Downtown, theft issues, and then Loblaws opening probably didn't make sense for 7-11 anymore.

But again, most active, vibrant cities have ton of convenience stores open all hours and so for me it speaks volumes about the state of Edmonton/core and that Edmontonians are not out and about as much and need more reasons to be, at more hours, more often.

Last edited:
I bet it has a whole lot more to do with lack of office workers/density than what you suggest. This was discussed ad nauseam when 104 Street 7-11 was closed.

Sabor, Evolution Wonderlounge, Maria, Creperie, Old Spaghetti Factory, XO Bistro, Chvrch of John and Smoke BBQ share the same block as the Ultima 7-11 and they have been fairly decent in terms of patronage. So this "not enough people" excuse doesn't really hold water.

Last edited:
Completely different uses, customers and a few of those would DEFINITELY comment about a lack of 'regular traffic'.

Edmonton needs workers back, more events and double the Downtown population ASAP.

You know what's missing from downtown? A decent walk in medical clinic. There are a few in oliver. But apparently none in the downtown core itself. Are there any in the downtown core that I'm not aware of? Seems like medical clinics have been popping up everywhere except the downtown core.
You are right - I needed a walk in last week when we were in the city - and the only one we could walk to was Oliver Medical Clinic on 104th Ave and 114th Street.

I still think this more having to do with 7-11's business practices than your beloved density. The Circle K stores (104 St/99 Ave, Jasper/113 St, 104 Ave/116 St) plus the AM/PM at Jasper/109 St do quite well, whereas 7-11 opened several convenience stores in the core then closed them all down after a few years.

I still think this more having to do with 7-11's business practices than your beloved density. The Circle K stores (104 St/99 Ave, Jasper/113 St, 104 Ave/116 St) plus the AM/PM at Jasper/109 St do quite well, whereas 7-11 opened several convenience stores in the core then closed them all down after a few years.

They are magnets for issues, AM/PM just opened and is just ok, Circle K on 104/99 was my go to and a handy neighbourhood amenity, but often dealing with things.

7-11s were/are important for areas and the fact they packed up and left SHOULD be noted.

But again, most active, vibrant cities have ton of convenience stores open all hours and so for me it speaks volumes about the state of Edmonton/core and that Edmontonians are not out and about as much and need more reasons to be, at more hours, more often.
Downtown has a bit of a chicken and egg problem where nobody is out at night because nothing is open outside of bars and restaurants, and nothing is open because there is not as much regular traffic.

If you want to hang out at a coffee shop after work (that isnt Tim's), Remedy on Jasper closes at 8:00 whereas on 124th they shut out at 11:00. Looking at Google, a lot of other cafés downtown close at 3:00 or 7:00ish. With city centre mall being fairly empty right now there's not much in the way of evening shopping either.

Reference ID:Job No 454459818-002
Description:To install (2) Fascia On-Premises Signs and (1) Projecting On-Premises Sign (ref CSDP:_ (TD ICE DISTRICT)
Plan 1620220 Blk 2 Lot 3
10220 - 104 AVENUE NW
Plan 1425251 Blk 9E Lot 5
10214 - 104 AVENUE NW
Plan 1721523 Blk 9E Lot 9
Applicant:FIVE STAR PERMITS
Create Date:11/17/2022 12:02:26 PM
Neighbourhood:DOWNTOWN

Reference ID:Job No 454303243-002
Description:To install (1) Fascia On-Premises Sign (SOLOMON COLLEGE).
Plan NB Blk 6 Lots 47-50
Applicant:BLACKFLAG PROJECTS INC.
Create Date:11/16/2022 10:01:02 AM
Neighbourhood:DOWNTOWN

Completely different uses, customers and a few of those would DEFINITELY comment about a lack of 'regular traffic'.

Edmonton needs workers back, more events and double the Downtown population ASAP.
Edmonton needs a new Provincial Government that actually cares about people and the city to provide adequate mental health services, shelter and affordable housing funding first. Before that happens, Downtown won't be like you remember pre-Covid. The UCP do not care what happens to Downtown and Edmonton in general.

20221124_193611.jpg

Back