News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Downtown

^^^^ The "Initial Design" was in place before you were born and bears no resemblance to what is there now.

Well aware. I should have specified that comment was for Michael Phair Park.

My bad.

my concern isn't necessarily with either parklet per se but the fact that this is administratively a full-blown project.

does anyone know how many full-blown projects are currently underway and in the planning stages for downtown, never mind city wide?

Let me guess -- enough to want to hire more Planners, Engineers and Supervisory Staff when in fact the City should be downsizing these groups.

my concern isn't necessarily with either parklet per se but the fact that this is administratively a full-blown project.

does anyone know how many full-blown projects are currently underway and in the planning stages for downtown, never mind city wide?
Technically, anything can be a 'project'. Even going to the grocery store involves, planning, execution and follow-up... I'd rather a project management model be used for even 'minor' things like these park enhancements than have no organization, monitoring, etc. utilized.

Technically, anything can be a 'project'. Even going to the grocery store involves, planning, execution and follow-up... I'd rather a project management model be used for even 'minor' things like these park enhancements than have no organization, monitoring, etc. utilized.
i'm not suggesting that there shouldn't be any organization, monitoring, etc. but as projects with the full public consultations and reporting to committee and council that comes with their being "projects", that could organization and monitoring should be able to part of regular operating and maintenance procedures a lot quicker and a lot less costly than everything having project status.

Is there a City budget for trying alternative/non-conventional downtown attractions, maybe even in partnership with private partners?

It was brought up earlier this year that a futsal court would be an interesting way to get people downtown. I have to wonder if a city-funded, NPO and volunteer-organized effort to get one could generate some micro-economic interest with such an implementation, or with a micro-level project that involved physical activity or sports (e.g. basketball courts, skate park, etc.).

I'm thinking something in the way of a new facility/field/experience that fits in a smaller urban area (downtown), draws people to the area, and isn't already implemented in Edmonton (something as a net-new experience).

Just wondering out loud.

Is there a City budget for trying alternative/non-conventional downtown attractions, maybe even in partnership with private partners?

It was brought up earlier this year that a futsal court would be an interesting way to get people downtown. I have to wonder if a city-funded, NPO and volunteer-organized effort to get one could generate some micro-economic interest with such an implementation, or with a micro-level project that involved physical activity or sports (e.g. basketball courts, skate park, etc.).

I'm thinking something in the way of a new facility/field/experience that fits in a smaller urban area (downtown), draws people to the area, and isn't already implemented in Edmonton (something as a net-new experience).

Just wondering out loud.
PM me. I have ideas and MAYBE the way to bring them up with entrepreneurs and city administration

Back