News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Downtown

None of that matters if people are afraid to be there in the first place and be walking at various times of the day and night.

None of that matters if people are afraid to be there in the first place and be walking at various times of the day and night.
I disagree, I think safety and design go hand-in-hand. Most businesses and event organizers (event as in festivals as opposed to hockey games) won't want to set up shop in a downtown that's dead, depressing, and has bad pedestrian volumes. Nor would people want to live there; why would they when driving there offers a superior experience anyway? But as well as safety, people won't want to linger in an area that's hard to navigate and feels too unsafe or inconvenient. The city shouldn't try to address crime and perceptions of safety first, just to hold off on these improvements until they think there's enough traffic there. That just means the work will disrupt even more people. These are all tangible things which people here have called for, and studies and statistics show can improve public perceptions of, and time spent in downtown. Protected bike lanes, wayfinding signs, expanded sidewalks, etc. There's no reason this stuff shouldn't be invested in now. It's like that old saying about dressing for success: We should design our downtown around the experience we want it to offer, not the experience that we think it does offer.

The funny thing is that I either look scarier than the criminals, or there is a lot less crime than you actually want us to believe. I walk around downtown almost daily, throughout several areas and different times of the day (and so does my wife), I have been doing this for the past two and a half years, and I haven't once been victim, or witness, to any crime, unless you count crazy people yelling at you (👻boooooooo👻) or asking for money.

I disagree, I think safety and design go hand-in-hand. Most businesses and event organizers (event as in festivals as opposed to hockey games) won't want to set up shop in a downtown that's dead, depressing, and has bad pedestrian volumes. Nor would people want to live there; why would they when driving there offers a superior experience anyway? But as well as safety, people won't want to linger in an area that's hard to navigate and feels too unsafe or inconvenient. The city shouldn't try to address crime and perceptions of safety first, just to hold off on these improvements until they think there's enough traffic there. That just means the work will disrupt even more people. These are all tangible things which people here have called for, and studies and statistics show can improve public perceptions of, and time spent in downtown. Protected bike lanes, wayfinding signs, expanded sidewalks, etc. There's no reason this stuff shouldn't be invested in now. It's like that old saying about dressing for success: We should design our downtown around the experience we want it to offer, not the experience that we think it does offer.
Obviously hand-in-hand and some good work on a variety of fronts but we must improve the level of safety/experience or folks simply won't want to come, linger, spend, relocate, expand or travel to, period.

For those who think that the downtown malaise applies only to Edmonton (and there are a couple on this site) you can be thankful that you are not doing business in Ottawa...

I've noticed that Prairie Fish & Chips was looking empty lately, even during the supper hour. I'm guessing that COVID, the name change and recent supply snafus from BC were factors. For me, the menu was rather sparse, is why I never bothered with this in the first place.

If you want damn good fish & chips near downtown, there's always Brits Fish & Chips on the SW corner of 104 Ave/116 St. To paraphrase Monty Python, their halibut is good enough for Jehovah!

Last edited:
For those who think that the downtown malaise applies only to Edmonton (and there are a couple on this site) you can be thankful that you are not doing business in Ottawa...

Given their significant dependancy on the Feds and visitors, Ottawa is in a really difficult position right now.

Obviously hand-in-hand and some good work on a variety of fronts but we must improve the level of safety/experience or folks simply won't want to come, linger, spend, relocate, expand or travel to, period.
Time for you to read Jane Jacobs' "The Death and Life of Great American Cities" -- and, if you have read it before, it is time for a reread so that you won't end up looking like the stray calf that got lost in the blizzard.

It's within reach, read and a great guide forward.

Places for people are paramount but not without caution.

Please and thank you. The initial 'design' was embarrassing to the namesake and area.

--

Beaver Hills House / Michael Phair Park Enhancements
Budget - The project is currently on budget.

Schedule - The project is currently on schedule.

Scope - The project is within the scope approved in the project charter.

Description:

Beaver Hills House and Michael Phair Parks in downtown Edmonton are being renewed and enhanced. This project will include the concept and preimlinary design of the park and lane interfaces, and explore ways to enhance the vibrancy of these spaces.
Latest Update:

The project is starting the Concept Phase to initiate planning and design. Consultant procurement for design services is underway. Engagement is planned for fall 2021.
Contact Information:

Email: ramsey.hajar@edmonton.ca
Phone: 780-4968-160

Approved Schedule

June, 2022
Forecasted Schedule

June, 2022
Approved Budget

$300,000
Forecasted Budget

$300,000

Back