News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.7K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.8K     0 

Downtown

IMG_1983.jpeg

I am curious who the landlord is for this property and why this was the direction they chose to go.

I guess their main sign is permanent? Looks like the "Now Open" sign is giving them a bit of trouble. I feel bad for these folks because I don't wish anything bad on anyone, but I just know in my heart that this business has almost zero chance of success and it makes me sad for them. I had a failed restaurant when I was younger and it's awful, but I will say it made me stronger for going through it. Hopefully they come out on the other end better off for it.

I checked out the entertainment district at Rice Howard Way, and once again, why isn’t this all weekend and a Friday??

It’s quite busy (on top of the drag festival) in this area of downtown as a result. Like it seems like a massive missed opportunity not to expand the area and scope of this.

Nothing wrong with more food and drink options.

I think it depends on the type of restaurant. Bernadette's has opened just a few steps down from this one and looks amazing. They did such a wonderful job of it and it is a very unique and welcome addition to the neighbourhood. I think it will do well. This, on the other hand, doesn't really add anything to 104. I have no idea what their menu is (because I can't find it online) but I am guessing it will mostly be frozen foods warmed in a deep fryer, like Mccain fries, chicken wings from costco business, etc. I imagine that nothing will actually be cooked on site, just taken out of a freezer and thrown into a deep fryer. If I am wrong, then I will eat my words, but I have seen these types of restaurants pop up before. Northern Chicken was an example of something that really added a lot of value and character to the neighbourhood but they couldn't make it. I don't see how this place brings anything that Northern Chicken didn't bring.

By the way, I will still check it out and support them by buying a couple of beers. I want to see all businesses on 104 succeed! If the owner happens to read this, don't let me discourage you - prove me wrong.

I am curious who the landlord is for this property and why this was the direction they chose to go.

I guess their main sign is permanent? Looks like the "Now Open" sign is giving them a bit of trouble. I feel bad for these folks because I don't wish anything bad on anyone, but I just know in my heart that this business has almost zero chance of success and it makes me sad for them. I had a failed restaurant when I was younger and it's awful, but I will say it made me stronger for going through it. Hopefully they come out on the other end better off for it.

All of the hallmarks...

Sip, sip, hooray! New Entertainment District launches downtown​

June 1, 2024

Downtown is about to get livelier on Saturdays this summer, thanks to the city’s first-ever Entertainment District in the heart of our city. The City has partnered with the Edmonton Downtown Business Association (EDBA) to create a block-long street patio on Rice Howard Way that will be filled with events, live music and extended patios, where visitors can stroll with a beer or cocktail in hand.

“As summer patio season heats up, I’m excited to see this great new space where people can gather and enjoy some of our local businesses,” said Anne Stevenson, Councillor Ward O-day'min. “Creating opportunities for greater community connection and art activation makes our entire downtown feel more lively. I’m grateful to everyone who has made this initiative possible.”

The Entertainment District is open on Saturdays throughout the summer months from 11 a.m. until 10 p.m. During that time, Rice Howard Way will close to vehicle traffic between 100 Street and 100A Street, allowing pedestrians to walk freely along the block. Food and alcohol from participating businesses – Rosewood Foods, Sherlock Holmes Pub, Bianco, Craft, Dalla Tavola Zenari and Often Restaurant and Bar – can be purchased and consumed within the District’s boundaries.

Kicking off with this year’s Downtown Spark Block Party, the Edmonton Downtown Business Association will provide a range of local programming and entertainment every week, including performances, art installations and other activations.

“We are so excited to partner with the City and our Rice Howard Way businesses to bring this new Entertainment District to life,” said Puneeta McBryan, CEO of the Edmonton Downtown Business Association. “We’ve seen initiatives like this take off with great success in other cities, and we can’t wait to see how Edmontonians and visitors to our city enjoy the space, discover new favourite small businesses, and celebrate and enjoy live music and the other great cultural programming that we have in store.”​

For more information on the Entertainment District:
edmonton.ca/EntertainmentDistrict

For more information on Saturday programming:
edmontondowntown.com

Media contacts:
Melissa Lovatt
Director
Urban Planning and Economy
City of Edmonton
780-719-0544

Tracy Hyatt
Director
Marketing and Communications
Edmonton Downtown Business Association
780-426-8579​

Went to Craft at 7pm and things felt pretty quiet for a summer Saturday plus spark. Anyone go earlier in the day or after 9pm? Was it better?

I support the entertainment district for sure (why we went with friends). But was a bit disappointed by the vibe and lack of life. Brought friends from deep suburbs and they didn’t seem too impressed sadly. 2/3rds of picnic tables empty, couple dozen people wandering a very large road.

Went to Craft at 7pm and things felt pretty quiet for a summer Saturday plus spark. Anyone go earlier in the day or after 9pm? Was it better?

I support the entertainment district for sure (why we went with friends). But was a bit disappointed by the vibe and lack of life. Brought friends from deep suburbs and they didn’t seem too impressed sadly. 2/3rds of picnic tables empty, couple dozen people wandering a very large road.

I wonder with Oilers game Friday night and so many people downtown and then again tonight, if it had some impact.

It was pretty busy at around 3-4 PM when I went! But there probably could've been more stuff there.

I’m thinking if we didn’t have the Oilers cup run going on now….then yeah…..evenings would be more balanced. Plus, it was the first nice weekend we’ve had all year we had 25+ folks over at our house for the our first bbq get-together of the Summer

Back