News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.7K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.8K     0 

Downtown

The road grade drops heading west from 109 down to 111th. I think they should consider alternative crosswalk markings to to improve the visiual experience and hide the grade slop at the 4 corners of 109. The one below is from Austin.
When I drive through there, it seems perfectly visible. It's just a spot where impatient drivers who want to get out of/through downtown tend to coalesce, and all of their ignorance and belligerence comes out.

It makes more sense than 104st...
These two intersections alone have set back public acceptance of scrambles by years. I personally love scrambles, but even I have grown to loathe these two as useless. Its infuriating to regularly wait twice for scrambles that have almost no usage, especially on the major through route on the north end of downtown! I can't for the life of me understand why in the 2020s these couldn't be built so they become scrambles during events when needed and act like regular lights the rest of the time. /rant

These two intersections alone have set back public acceptance of scrambles by years. I personally love scrambles, but even I have grown to loathe these two as useless. Its infuriating to regularly wait twice for scrambles that have almost no usage, especially on the major through route on the north end of downtown! I can't for the life of me understand why in the 2020s these couldn't be built so they become scrambles during events when needed and act like regular lights the rest of the time. /rant
The Jasper Ave and 104 St isn't great, but isn't terrible. It's at least a consistently busy pedestrian intersection with a fair flow of turning traffic. The ones up by the Ice District (103 Ave and 103 St, 104 Ave and 104 St, 104 and 102 St, 105 Ave and 105 Street) are a bit weird. Some of these are intersections that either have very little traffic outside of extremely limited circumstances, or the traffic is almost entirely in one direction with almost no turning traffic.

The Jasper Ave and 104 St isn't great, but isn't terrible. It's at least a consistently busy pedestrian intersection with a fair flow of turning traffic. The ones up by the Ice District (103 Ave and 103 St, 104 Ave and 104 St, 104 and 102 St, 105 Ave and 105 Street) are a bit weird. Some of these are intersections that either have very little traffic outside of extremely limited circumstances, or the traffic is almost entirely in one direction with almost no turning traffic.
Sorry, yes. My ADHD brain read IanO's comment as 104 ave. Those are the two I hate. The one on 104 st and Jasper is just fine.

PS, your username is awesome.

Last edited:
Confetti Fourdays, June 4-7 in Michael Phair Park.
  • June 4, 12pm-1pm - DJ Kris Harvey
  • June 5, 12pm-1pm - D'orjay + Bramwell
  • June 6, 12pm-1pm - Brasstastics
  • June 7, 12pm-1pm - Pherome Killz & Stretcher H
  • June 7, 4pm-7pm - Confetti Happy Hour beer garden featuring DJ Mr. Kou and Drift food truck.
Confetti Fourdays is a summer event series featuring live music and entertainment in the downtown core, organized by Michael Phair & friends. Join us as we come together as a community in a fun, positive way. On Friday we celebrate Michael's namesake park with a beer garden and entertainment before the park is closed for 2 years of renewal.

Confetti Fourdays-General Post-1080x1080-Colour 3.jpg

Confetti Fourdays, June 4-7 in Michael Phair Park.
  • June 4, 12pm-1pm - DJ Kris Harvey
  • June 5, 12pm-1pm - D'orjay + Bramwell
  • June 6, 12pm-1pm - Brasstastics
  • June 7, 12pm-1pm - Pherome Killz & Stretcher H
  • June 7, 4pm-7pm - Confetti Happy Hour beer garden featuring DJ Mr. Kou and Drift food truck.
Confetti Fourdays is a summer event series featuring live music and entertainment in the downtown core, organized by Michael Phair & friends. Join us as we come together as a community in a fun, positive way. On Friday we celebrate Michael's namesake park with a beer garden and entertainment before the park is closed for 2 years of renewal.

View attachment 567496

It seems off that Warehouse Park is starting from scratch and is significantly larger and will supposedly take 18 months to finish but this project with Beaver Hills takes two years.

'This weekend also marks the first weekend of the new entertainment district at Rice Howard Way, which will be activated on Saturdays from 11 a.m. to 12 a.m. from June until September.

Edmontonians can purchase alcohol from restaurants within the district and drink them within a permitted pedestrian-friendly outdoor area.'

Sohi release

Well, it looks like "SlapShot" bar and grill is open on 104th street - at least until they get sued by the Oilers for copyright ??? lol.

It already has a review on Google, a 5 star review. Someone (I'm not saying it's the owner...) clearly used ChatGPT to write it. Hilarious... I mean, come on?

There is so much competition in this area, it's literally sandwiched between several other very well established bars. Best of luck to these owners but yeah, so far not really winning me over with what I've seen.

hahaha.jpg

Back