News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.8K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.9K     0 

Downtown

Since living and working downtown again I’ve really gained a different perspective on it after being very critical of how the City/private enterprise maintains their spaces.

Yes, there are lots that business and property owners that could do better—heck just a quarterly pressure wash job on building frontage and sidewalks would do wonders for most—but the scale of what they’re up against is mind boggling to the point I can understand why some just don’t care or refuse to put money toward it.

Commerce Place along 102 where the old Kasia space were are basically used as urinals. Just reeks of piss and there’s pools of it all over. Quadreal is out regularly washing with soap and water but they finish up and within a few hours it’s disgusting all over again.

Same with garbage. There’s one determined gentlemen who sets up in the alley behind my building regularly. Sometimes it’s everyday for weeks on end. Everyday he accumulates all sorts of crap—tents, tarps, blankets, pallets, carts—plus an almost unbelievable amount of just miscellaneous garbage. Every morning the City comes by and cleans it up. But if the wind is blowing in the right direction, a lot of his crap just blows away everywhere before the City gets there, and things end up looking like shit.

What can be done? It is not like there is no effort being put toward it. But the burden levied on those here in downtown is really unfair given they (plus those in Chinatown, Boyle Street, McCauley, etc) who are bearing the brunt of all the social disorder.
The entrance to my building on 104st and 102 ave is a urinal. The building super does his best to go out and pressure wash but what stops that is 1. he would have to do that every day and 2. property management wont allow pressure washing when its too cold out because of the ice buildup. So as a result we get to walk outside daily to side walk stains both fresh and old.

Never mind the garbage, condoms, needles, and other stuff that regularly welcomes us when leave and then that's just our building.

IMG_0652.jpeg

It looks better up close with painted brick and some nice details.

Looking forward to seeing the lights on in there again.

Isn't the white section original to the building (i.e. the part the contained the old Rigoletto's), but just entirely gutted inside?

AF1QipNvDy56p4Dd2CiSsdkyogND8OZgXPGANh_0NjHP=s680-w680-h510

Since living and working downtown again I’ve really gained a different perspective on it after being very critical of how the City/private enterprise maintains their spaces.

Yes, there are lots that business and property owners that could do better—heck just a quarterly pressure wash job on building frontage and sidewalks would do wonders for most—but the scale of what they’re up against is mind boggling to the point I can understand why some just don’t care or refuse to put money toward it.

Commerce Place along 102 where the old Kasia space were are basically used as urinals. Just reeks of piss and there’s pools of it all over. Quadreal is out regularly washing with soap and water but they finish up and within a few hours it’s disgusting all over again.

Same with garbage. There’s one determined gentlemen who sets up in the alley behind my building regularly. Sometimes it’s everyday for weeks on end. Everyday he accumulates all sorts of crap—tents, tarps, blankets, pallets, carts—plus an almost unbelievable amount of just miscellaneous garbage. Every morning the City comes by and cleans it up. But if the wind is blowing in the right direction, a lot of his crap just blows away everywhere before the City gets there, and things end up looking like shit.

What can be done? It is not like there is no effort being put toward it. But the burden levied on those here in downtown is really unfair given they (plus those in Chinatown, Boyle Street, McCauley, etc) who are bearing the brunt of all the social disorder.
Yes, there is a strong link between the social problems, related disorder and cleanliness problems. Even though you may not see the person or people who did it as they have moved on, garbage strewn about and messes do not just not happen magically. They are caused by someone (or more than one person) and it takes a lot of effort to try clean up and maintain an area when people are there regularly making a mess of it.

Yes, there is a strong link between the social problems, related disorder and cleanliness problems. Even though you may not see the person or people who did it as they have moved on, garbage strewn about and messes do not just not happen magically. They are caused by someone (or more than one person) and it takes a lot of effort to try clean up and maintain an area when people are there regularly making a mess of it.
One of the pieces missing from the conversation about homelessness that directly applies to this is the closure of drop in spaces in the city. Day drop in programs are important places for people with no means to just be. Many of these people are homeless or struggle with functioning in a way that is disruptive to others but in a drop in they can be supported, fed, safe, use a washroom, and be cleaned up after. The Mustard Seed, Boyle Street, Operation Friendship, and Jasper Place Health and Wellness have all closed their day time drop in spaces due to funding changes, only Bissell is left and they push people to be "working on themselves" to be inside. All our other Third Spaces require money and a level of social functioning to access. This leaves people with nowhere to go but outside, mostly downtown or in the river valley, making a mess that needs to be cleaned up by someone.

At the end of the day we will be cleaning up after people who are on the margins of society in one way or another. You can believe that people just need to "get it together" but some people are going to struggle and we have limited social supports/housing/safe spaces for them to be so this is the consequence.

Yes, people who are out on the streets wandering around all day are not there because it is fun. It is because they do not have better choices or can not make better choices and probably often some combination of both.

So, I agree there is a direct link between the garbage strewn about on the streets, the lack of support and how we treat some people as disposable.

Back