News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Downtown

Whyyyyy is the mascot a meatball??? I can't wrap my head around a decision like this.
Do something cute and beloved and local like Charlie the Chickadee or Rudy the Red Squirrel!

Marvin the Meatball, good god...

Whyyyyy is the mascot a meatball??? I can't wrap my head around a decision like this.
Do something cute and beloved and local like Charlie the Chickadee or Rudy the Red Squirrel!

Marvin the Meatball, good god...
Not a meatball, but a meetball!*

*How I imagine the marketing consultant (who is the nephew of the Director of the CoE's marketing dept) pitched it before cashing his $75,000 cheque

Kinda an odd layout and design given that rooftop patios are meant to have expansive vistas and not be walled in... but I suppose that I should try it out first.
The Ice House patio is fantastic. Service is pretty bad (not a big deal for me) and the food is mediocre, but the patio is 10/10. It's got great views and a really nice aesthetic with the firepits, strung lights and astroturf.

*How I imagine the marketing consultant (who is the nephew of the Director of the CoE's marketing dept) pitched it before cashing his $75,000 cheque
The city alsointroduced a mascot, a “fun-loving emoji” called Marvin, that will appear on city branding and advertising this summer.

The Meatball song:

On top of spagetti all covered with cheese
I lost my poor meatball when somebody sneezed
It rolled off the table, it rolled on the floor
And then my poor meatball rolled out of the door
It rolled in the garden and under a bush
And then my poor meatball was nothing but mush.
The mush was as tasty as tasty could be,
And early next summer it grew to a tree.
The tree was all covered with beautiful moss
It grew great big meatballs and tomato sauce.
So if you eat spaghetti all covered with cheesw,
Hold on to your meatball and don't ever sneeze.

Screen Shot 2023-05-11 at 3.18.48 PM.png

It sort of reminds me of something you might see on the street, say left by a dog, so perhaps not the image we want to convey here right now. It doesn't seem well thought out - amateurish and rushed?

It would have also probably been better to have spent a bit less on marketing consultants and a bit more on good graphic designers too.

Back