News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8.1K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.7K     0 

Downtown

That is a very good point. Maybe to elaborate on this a bit, due to the decline of people coming to downtown for work, it is hard for the remaining retail businesses to remain viable just on the diminished Monday to Friday business. I am sure the exact numbers are different in various cities, but the concept is the same.

So, a proactive idea would be to encourage people to travel downtown to shop on the weekend, particularly Saturdays. Having to pay for parking deters people from shopping downtown. I realize it is not the only problem, but it is one thing the city has more control over and can easily change. I suspect currently they are not making much on it after paying for the cost of patrolling, etc... If the city took a leadership role on this, they may be able to encourage owners of some private lots to join in.

Something like two free hours on Saturdays could encourage more people to come. Of course, like any idea you never know how well it will work until you try it, so it could be done on a trial basis (say a couple of years). If it doesn't seem to have much effect, probably not much lost, but it could make a big difference to some struggling businesses in a struggling area.

Make parking $ or free for an hour or two Sat and Sunday, period.

But all the free parking in the world won't bring people if it not safe, clean and amenity filled.

Yesterday I walked much of Downtown.

The good:
-More normalized use; more people out and about
-Rice Howard Way felt good and was quite busy.
-Dalla - such a great look and feel on that corner
-ICE District was busy, clean, well lit and felt very big city

The bad:
-Upkeep of all public spaces, broken or damaged things everywhere
-CIBC's two sad trees (not even straight or aligned) out front of their branch
-7243 YEGDT signs

The ugly:
-Jasper Avenue from 100-103st - my lord
-How many places have vinyl or window coverings to prevent folks from seeing the current reality out there

Uh oh…..apparently Canada Place is going to sit empty for at least 1 more year. As JT has given his workers 1 more year to get their affairs in order before he mandates his back to work….

People who don't care about the downtown need to realize this key point from the column:

"There is also a financial implication for all municipal taxpayers if downtown withers. Commercial property taxes are based on the value of the buildings. And the value of the buildings are based on the leases that tenants pay. Empty buildings generate lower tax revenues for the city."

I had a dental appointment in town last Tuesday. It’s a bit of a trek from my place, so I thought, as I shelled out $15 for three hours of indoor parking, why not make a day of it?

Too bad about the art gallery being closed. Lots of security personnel in Edmonton Centre, so it felt pretty safe, but there wasn’t a lot to do there. The Bay is long gone. No more Papyrus, no more Chapters. Winners looks like it’s on its way out too. Alas, no more Holt Renfrew cafe. I ended up at wonderful old Bistro Praha and had it all to myself.

A lot of the pedways seem to be closed, and three elevators were out of order, so I got a lot of exercise. Thank goodness I didn’t need to find an open washroom. The Artworks was open and welcoming, but Tix on the Square keeps its door locked now and you have to knock to be let in. That made me feel like a nuisance.

My day downtown was a bit of a bust. Yes, I know I come off as a privileged, whiny snot, complaining about nowhere to buy fripperies or have a decent latte. But the likes of me used to throng downtown. And our urge to shop and do lunch and enjoy the bustle helped make it a happening place. Now it’s a place that looks like it’s under siege.

“Sorry for the inconvenience,” so many signs said. “Closed, keep out,” is what the vibe says. Well, I will from now on, I’m afraid.

J.M. Furlong, St. Albert

My takeaway is that there are many individuals like this that might have a negative experience which will give them no reason to return for a while. On top of that negative experience they might influence others in their conversations not to come back. Anecdotal of course but I believe there are more people having conversations encouraging people not to go downtown than there are the opposite.

My take - I don't believe this person was looking for an enjoyable afternoon but moreso to find unpleasant things they could write about, which of course you can easily find.
But no visit to RAM? Could easily fill an hour or longer. How about the downtown library - definitely worth checking out. Ice District? No comment on it? How about 104 st? Audrey's books on 107st?

Shopping? Very limited. Very true.

Last edited:
My take - I don't believe this person was looking for an enjoyable afternoon but moreso to find unpleasant things he could write about, which of course you can easily find.
But no visit to RAM? Could easily fill an hour or longer. How about the downtown library - definitely worth checking out. Ice District? No comment on it? How about 104 st? Audrey's books on 107st?

Shopping? Very limited. Very true.
I think it's interesting.... because the ones who know DT know how to navigate it, where to go, and what to expect.
This letter is coming from St Albert, their idea of shopping was going to the mall (which makes sense), and the mall is definitely a misrepresentation of the whole DT at this point but the most hurt.

I do think that whatever is happening with security presence lately is an improvement on 3 months ago.

I agree with this, anecdotally they've beefed up security presence in the mall a lot and have fenced off areas where the homeless used to congregate in the LRT tunnels. The only places to sit and eat are monitored by security as well, and if you do try and loiter the guards are on you in minutes.

I'll go for a take and say that security at City Centre isn't really an issue anymore, it's the lack of stores, but that is a problem for the whole of the CBD. Downtown as a whole is a lot better than when I first moved in, but still has a while to go.

I think it's interesting.... because the ones who know DT know how to navigate it, where to go, and what to expect.
This letter is coming from St Albert, their idea of shopping was going to the mall (which makes sense), and the mall is definitely a misrepresentation of the whole DT at this point but the most hurt.
The mall is perhaps the most visible manifestation of the terrible decline of downtown over the last few years, but really street front shopping isn't much better in this area either. For instance, no street facing stores or anything remaining in Manulife on 102 Ave and that is supposedly a premiere building.

There are many empty street facing store fronts on Jasper Ave close to this area too. Even two 7-11's have closed. Normally, I am a glass half full type of person, but I think in this case we have to face up to how bleak things are at this point, because denialism will just lead to more complacency and inaction.

I am one of the ones who know DT well, I am there almost every day and walk around it regularly. I have to say while we could quibble about their suburban perspective, they are not at all wrong.

but I think in this case we have to face up to how bleak things are at this point, because denialism will just lead to more complacency and inaction.

Inaction and denalism of the provincial government and the opposition? Inaction and denialism of the city? Inaction and denialsim of some downtown property owners? Inaction and denialism of the people who know about these issues and call it out and don't really do anything about it beyond that?

I guess we could all write letters to the EJ about the lack of shopping downtown and other concerns, all of it is true and I think fairly well documented. Same with this particular thread - well documented. We're all pretty aware I think - but also complacent and inactive?

Last edited:

Back