News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Downtown Real Estate

This is the Westrich owned demolition and DP for surface parking of the old Emergency Relief Society building. It was posted in the Downtown thread.

I thought the Westrich tower was going up where the Emergency Relief Society building is currently standing, rather than the parking lot across the street?

^No. They have told me it's not a priority site for them. Could be quite a few years off. In the meantime they have an approved permit to demolish the back of the building for surface parking.

^No. They have told me it's not a priority site for them. Could be quite a few years off. In the meantime they have an approved permit to demolish the back of the building for surface parking.

Ok. Let me explain my confusion. The address in the demolition permit is for here: https://www.google.com/maps/place/1...526!4d-113.4997624!16s/g/11ggs9p2g7?entry=ttu

But the website for the tower shows the property across the street: https://westrichpacific.com/introducing-ice-tower/

Thanks for the help!

Oh weird! I think I got that wrong. My bad. But that site is just a surface parking lot, so I can't imagine what they're demolishing let alone altering. The 'Henry' part refers to Henry Mah. Maybe it actually is the Impark kiosk.

Yes, this is quite confusing about demolishing a site whose address is a parking lot. If so, I suppose it should be an easy demolition.

And, if the intention is to build first on this parking lot, rather than tear down other existing nearby buildings, bonus!

IMG_1794.png

"

Edmonton is gathering momentum. Businesses and investors should take note and take advantage.

The downtown office market ended 2023 positively, with vacancy dropping 100 bps in a single quarter to 22.9% in Q4, thanks to 158,160 sq. ft. of net absorption. It was the best quarter for absorption in nearly three years."

Good to see vacancy drop. I was fearful it might go up as leases expire and tenants take up smaller footprints. Still hear so many stories of folks that used to be full time in the office still only going about once per week.

We are definitely in a period of adjustment as people return to the office, but some continue to work from home.

Fortunately, we are not really building any new office space downtown now, so over time I expect as the city and economy grows, the surplus will be absorbed.

Back