News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Downtown Crime

Not just Edmonton... there is a malaise globally related to vandalism and crime... COVID frustration!
Remember when that lady and that weird Italian (I think?) guy who were both middle age were caught smashing bus stations here? Bus stop vandalism is pretty high up on my scumbag list.

A man and woman who are together subject of 80 arrest warrants are in custody after the pair were stopped by officers at a downtown Edmonton convenience store for not wearing a mask, police say.

Edmonton police say officers were patrolling the area of 103 Street and 103 Avenue just after 10 p.m. on Jan. 31.

They approached the maskless pair and identified and arrested Michelle Ulrich, 31, who police say is subject to 77 criminal warrants and is now facing seven more criminal charges for possessing another person’s identity documents.

Her male companion, who police say is 22-year-old Ousman Gilbert, sparked a foot chase when he fled the scene.

Police say he pointed a sawed-off shotgun at officers before later being arrested with the help of Air 1 and an EPS canine unit.

Gilbert was arrested on three outstanding warrants and now faces 11 additional charges, including numerous firearms charges and two counts of obstructing a police officer.

Your downtown, ladies and gentlemen, where the criminals have become so brazen they don't even think twice about pointing a sawed off at the police and others walk around freely with 77 outstanding arrest warrants.

At what point is there going to be a serious change?

It's disturbing and starting to push current residents away from the area.

Our condo has requested a meeting with EPS as we had another attempted B&E yesterday. I've heard the same from other buildings in the area.

It's absurd.

^^Pointing a gun at a police officer is certainly going to get the individual with serious charges, not to mention having the weapon in the first place.

For the other person with 77 warrants, we don't even know where they're from or what the situation is. EPS have said there's about 200 folks doing about 80% of the crimes in the core, all with social workers, all unable to be held for a variety of reasons related to the rules in our provincial justice system.

For condos/buildings in the area - good lighting, motion activated lighting, good cameras (HD), signage that there are cameras, security patrols, keeping the outdoor areas really tidy (e.g. no leaves, gravel, litter), no lock boxes outside the place, doors secured after hours, and tactical interventions like music and removing big door handles, metal security plates on all doors, calling police every time there is an incident, all these can help.

^^Really good list. Until something is done to properly address the issue, it unfortunately ends up falling on home owners and individuals to do their best to deter criminal activity.

Sadly, there are enough people who are determined enough/don't care about these deterrents who will go ahead and commit crimes anyway. Similar to IanO's experiences, my Oliver condo building has had to change door locks multiple times, despite cameras, lights, etc. because people force their way in. One dude used a crowbar to pry the building's back door open and ended up damaging the frame and destroying the lock altogether, just so he could get in and take a nap.

I maintain my position that, regardless of this being a symptom of a much larger disease, we still need to treat it. Just like over the counter cold meds don't kill the virus, but you still take them to feel better.
We need a more ostensive police presence in Downtown and adjacencies, put beat cops out with freaking assault rifles, for all I care. Put cameras on all intersections to speed up preventive measures and deployment...

At what point is there going to be a serious change?
When it becomes a serious issue, at least according this interesting take 😂
Superheros.PNG

Downtown Recovery Task Force had a good chat with Chief McPhee yesterday and some of his staff. City Manager report coming out on Downtown safety in a week or so with recommendations. Our group continues to push for a comprehensive plan on improving safety in Downtown.

Transit safety report from admin unfortunately isn't going to be ready until March or so. That report needs to come sooner if those using transit are to return to the office sooner rather than later.

Back