News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.7K     0 

Downtown Crime

To be fair, this occurred near 96 St (well away from TOE) during a late Saturday night.
CTV is guilty of sensationalistic media.
Yeah, I took a look at this and had the same reaction. From the title you'd expect this to have happened right outside of Churchill Square in broad daylight.

To be fair, this occurred near 96 St (well away from TOE) during a late Saturday night.
CTV is guilty of sensationalistic media.
Poor comment.

96st is downtown and I am not sure why the location or proximity to an event matters more than the actual crime in this case.

To the individual who was stabbed, I dont think he cares if it as 96st, 104st, 112st.

Poor comment.

96st is downtown and I am not sure why the location or proximity to an event matters more than the actual crime in this case.

To the individual who was stabbed, I dont think he cares if it as 96st, 104st, 112st.

Probably because 96 St is in a ghetto area of the city, whereas Churchill Square is not.
But yeah, let's allow CTV to continue with their fearmongering and prevent event goers from attending the Taste of Edmonton.
BTW I haven't heard from Global, CBC, Journal or CityTV on this.

How long do you think the rap sheet of the assailant is? Two or three pages at 12 pt font?

Probably because 96 St is in a ghetto area of the city, whereas Churchill Square is not…
a ghetto area of the city???

96 street/tawatina park is all of 32O metres from churchill square along a street the city has spent millions upgrading over the past few years.

for anyone unfamiliar with downtown or anyone who only goes downtown for special events there are no “warning, ghetto ahead” signs, nor should there be, nor should there be be any reason for people to think there should be.

Probably because 96 St is in a ghetto area of the city, whereas Churchill Square is not.
But yeah, let's allow CTV to continue with their fearmongering and prevent event goers from attending the Taste of Edmonton.
BTW I haven't heard from Global, CBC, Journal or CityTV on this.
Ya you're probably right CTV must have some weird obsession with sensationalizing downtown crime while other media networks wouldnt do such a thing.

Take your tin foil hat off once in a while it might be screwed on too tight.

Last edited:
Really sorry to hear. Do you know how they are getting into your parkade? About 4 years ago we had repeated thefts from our parkade, but there was no visible break in. We ended up checking the scans and we could see somebody was entering our parkade at 2:30am and then again at 2:45am etc. a couple of different times over one week. We checked who that fob belonged to and it was a longtime owner who had 6 fobs assigned to her and who kept losing them. And I guess nobody was aware or tracking that. So all her fobs except the ones she had on her were deactivated. And thankfully we haven't had any issue since. Lots was stolen though.

Prior to dt, you lived in Oliver?
They came in through different means, and we had a 3rd break in last weekend. They followed a car into the parkade and sneaked in behind it, this time. The previous ones were different: in one they pried the garage door open with something and in the other they busted the garage side door (pedestrian access).

Yes, prior to DT I used to live in west Oliver, and had no issues. Unfortunately, my current budget and living arrangement demands didn't allow me to go back there for the time being (2+ bedrooms and 1000+sqft, under $1500/mo, or I'd have to get rid of my furniture), so I am moving to a basement suite in the burbs, which I am not too excited about. The good thing is that it'll allow me to save money and buy something in about a year or so, but I'll likely be looking for something around Whyte or west Oliver, and not DT, unless things change dramatically in the next year or so.

Reactions: TAS
Interesting approach.
---

Edmonton Downtown Business Association

Announcing the Edmonton Downtown Business Association Night Patrol. Operating seven days a week from 12:30AM to 8:30PM, the Night Patrol aims to improve downtown safety and support other public safety efforts through data collection.

Two vehicles comprised of a security professional from Backwoods Security Services Backwoods Security and a peer support worker from Hiregood.ca patrol downtown streets to take a proactive approach to addressing safety concerns.

^ you know what? I like that they're exploring different options and trying things out. Don't know how much two vehicles for all of DT will make a difference but I sure hope it will.

Also what is with the operational hours? Just after midnight till 8:30 pm? They must mean 8:30 AM, no?

EDIT: I clicked on the post and they edited it after the fact to show 8:30 AM.

^ you know what? I like that they're exploring different options and trying things out. Don't know how much two vehicles for all of DT will make a difference but I sure hope it will.
I wish they'd do what they did in my hometown, back in Brazil, that reduced criminality in DT by over 80% in a couple of years. 4k cameras on pretty much all major intersections or points known for criminal activity, and a monitoring centre that dispatches officers to the scene. They only had a few cars patrolling, but the monitoring centre was able to redirect them really quickly.

Copy and paste from the last Chief.

That role is incredibly challenging, often being criticized from all sides and not for the faint of heart.

My experience with Chief McFee was one of a very compassionate, thoughtful and person committed to change at EPS.

---

'Knecht’s leadership style has at times been criticized, with a survey of rank-and-file members of the Edmonton Police Association in 2016 finding 80 per cent of EPS staff said they worked in a “culture of fear.”'

Part of the problem is when the word crime is mentioned, we tend to think of downtown. Yet crime happens throughout the city including various shootings at strip malls and elsehwhere in suburbs perceived as safe.

The article about the violent offender warning is certainly about crime, but actually no where does it specifically mention downtown.

Very true, but also indicative of an uphill battle for YEGDT compared to anywhere else. Perception is that it's not a place anyone wants to really be and that's really sad.

Back