News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.7K     0 

Downtown Crime

The only one I know takes transit regularly is our City Manager Andre Corbold. We have several councillors that ride their bike to city hall daily and why we got $100m for bike lanes. Imagine we had 2 or 3 taking transit what kind of advocates we’d get out of that.
I don't have an issue with them using bike lanes, but it might do a world of good if those councillors actually took transit more often.

So I challenge every councillor (and the mayor too) to actually regularly use transit, particularly in the evening or weekends.

Because I feel at this point they are still not realizing or missing the extent of a number of problems.

However, I agree crime problems sometimes are sensationalized. We can not control where murder happens. If it is in front of some small suburban strip mall, it is quickly forgotten about, if it is in or near transit it is talked about a lot.

But if transit was or felt safer, I also feel that sensationalizing would be less likely to happen. The greatest danger is all this enforces existing perceptions and makes people lose confidence in or less likely to use transit.

Stuff does come back to bite us in the ass. Had my car broken into somewhere between Wednesday and yesterday, inside the goddamn underground parkade.
Hate that man. I’ve been parking outside on a concrete lot just off 109 and Jasper for the past year and a bit and incredibly only had my window smashed once but even that is way more than it should ever be

Last night it was the second time in less than a week that they broke into our underground parkade and stole good from people's cars. This time they didn't even wait for the parkade to be empty, and almost got to one of the residents, who fortunately was able to get to the secured area of the building.
Today I am going looking for rentals in other places, against all that I believe in, because I am not gonna stay here waiting for more of this to happen. I am actually REALLY upset to be leaving downtown, but the tradeoff between the convenience of downtown living, the costs and the safety (especially after how much I'm spending to replace the window they smashed, and the stuff they stole) is not worth it anymore.

^
I suppose you have to have a certain amount of respect for the technical analysis being reported:

“Jones said a true measure of a community getting safer is the CSI trending downwards in tandem with the number of arrests.”

““If you have that, you actually have crime going down, you’re not going to have that weeble-wobble effect,” he said.”

yes, the dreaded weeble-wobble effect! :)

Last night it was the second time in less than a week that they broke into our underground parkade and stole good from people's cars. This time they didn't even wait for the parkade to be empty, and almost got to one of the residents, who fortunately was able to get to the secured area of the building.
Today I am going looking for rentals in other places, against all that I believe in, because I am not gonna stay here waiting for more of this to happen. I am actually REALLY upset to be leaving downtown, but the tradeoff between the convenience of downtown living, the costs and the safety (especially after how much I'm spending to replace the window they smashed, and the stuff they stole) is not worth it anymore.

Really sorry to hear. Do you know how they are getting into your parkade? About 4 years ago we had repeated thefts from our parkade, but there was no visible break in. We ended up checking the scans and we could see somebody was entering our parkade at 2:30am and then again at 2:45am etc. a couple of different times over one week. We checked who that fob belonged to and it was a longtime owner who had 6 fobs assigned to her and who kept losing them. And I guess nobody was aware or tracking that. So all her fobs except the ones she had on her were deactivated. And thankfully we haven't had any issue since. Lots was stolen though.

Prior to dt, you lived in Oliver?

We had more incidents between 2019 and 2022 than everything since 2005 and lost multiple residents who were afraid to walk in their own neighbourhood or had multiple break-ins.

I'm not right in the downtown core, but close by. Had at least two parkade break ins, the first one some things taken from vehicle, second time everything valuable removed.

I think after the second incident the building figured out the problem/improved security. Luckily no damage to vehicle such as smashed windows, but I have had windows smashed while parked on the street elsewhere in Edmonton and in other cities too. It is probably worse downtown, but really a problem elsewhere too.

Back