7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Cycling and Active Transportation in Edmonton

it me

Cold snaps, icy roads fail to deter winter cyclists
With extreme weather warnings and icy roads, winter is the time to put Edmonton’s bike lanes to the test.

Chris Nelson, the Edmonton Weather Nerdery blogger, said a typical Edmonton winter, ranging from November to February, will have only 20 days that are -20 C or below, and 50 to 60 days with temperatures above freezing.

temperatures-edmonton-decembre.jpg

Daily high temperatures in Edmonton for the December from 1998-2017. Data collected from Environment Canada.CHRIS NELSON / EDMONTON WEATHER NERDERY

Most cyclists will bike during those cold snaps without a problem. To date, 1,100 cyclists are biking this winter, according to Anna Ho, director of Paths for People.

“I think that is substantial for a city that is still growing and learning about biking infrastructure,” she said.

Dave Sutherland, 38, has been biking in Edmonton for 12 years. His commute takes him from Holyrood, just west of 75 Street, through the river valley. He arrives at his downtown workplace in 25 minutes on winter days.

During cold snaps, the only problem he faces is foggy glasses.

For the past year, he has been attending the 7 a.m. Friday morning coffee at Ezio Faraone Park where commuters gather to talk about infrastructure, politics or random events.

“We formed a little community of people that are passionate about making Edmonton a better place. It’s tight-knit and we all look out for each other.”

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/local-news/cold-snaps-icy-roads-fail-to-deter-winter-cyclists

Where I can usually be found on Friday mornings.

Edmonton's barista bike keeps the caffeine and camaraderie flowing
“I love coffee and I love to share it,” says Dr. Darren Markland, having just finished riding his barista bike to Constable Ezio Faraone Park, in order to make early morning coffees for members of Edmonton’s cycling community.

Markland and members of the social media group Coffee Outside meet at the park between 7 a.m. and 9 a.m. every Friday morning, for caffeine and the camaraderie of their fellow coffee fuelled cycling commuters.

Video: http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loc...ke-keeps-the-caffeine-and-camaraderie-flowing

(I was actually interviewed for this as well, but apparently hadn't had enough coffee to be coherent yet as my bit didn't make the cut)

Give two wheels a whirl on International Winter Bike to Work Day
February 7, 2018

Take your bike out for a spin this Friday and participate in Winter Bike to Work Day. The City of Edmonton’s bike street team will be out greeting cyclists on the High Level Bridge with hot chocolate, giveaways and fun activities to celebrate your winter cycling commute.

Date: Friday, February 9
Time: 7 - 9 a.m.

Winter Bike to Work Day is a worldwide, friendly challenge where cities can compete by tracking trips taken that day online. Whether you’re new to winter cycling, or an experienced all-season rider, stop by and join in the fun and learn about cycling safely and comfortably year round. Don’t forget to wear warm layers, put on a helmet and cycle smart as you head out for your commute.

For more information:
edmonton.ca/wintercycling

Media contact:
Kristi Bland
Communications Advisor
780-495-9904

see quite a few ride by my office everyday. I only get out on the weekends. 20 below is my limit, the bike gets slow even with cold weather lubricants.

@Airboy Yeah my shifters gum up below -20, but in those cases I just take the new funicular up into downtown so I'm not slogging up Grierson. Tomorrow I'll probably do Mill Creek -> 83 Ave cycletrack -> HLB (for the free coffee from the city) and avoid most hills altogether.

Where do we roll from here?
October 23, 2018

The City of Edmonton is creating a new Bike Plan to improve and grow the bike network and bike riding opportunities.

The City wants your feedback about the existing bike routes and where they should go in the future. Share your ideas about bike infrastructure and end-of-trip facilities. How can the safety and convenience of biking be enhanced?

From daily commuters to those who never bike, your feedback is welcome at one of our upcoming engagement sessions. Sessions take place in October and November at various locations around the city. To see a full list of sessions, please visit edmonton.ca/BikePlan.

Feedback will help shape a high-level strategic plan that will guide Administration and City Council as they continue to improve and grow the bike network.

Get involved. Be heard. Help us decide where we roll from here.

For more information:
edmonton.ca/BikePlan

Media contact:
Mary-Ann Thurber
Communications Advisor
780-442-1698

The Bike Plan is rolling along!
October 24, 2019

The draft network map for the Edmonton Bike Plan is almost complete, but we want to know your key priorities so we can make biking an easier, more enjoyable choice for more Edmontonians.

Date: Saturday, November 2
Time: 10 a.m. - noon
Location: Mill Woods Senior and Multicultural Centre, 2610 Hewes Way NW

Date: Tuesday, November 5
Time: 6 - 8 p.m.
Location: Commonwealth Recreation Centre, 11000 Stadium Road NW

Date: Wednesday, November 6
Time: 6 - 8 p.m.

Workshops will be interactive, hands-on, roll-up-your-sleeves events. You will have a chance to share your input on the draft map and learn about how we’re proposing to move forward in areas that support biking, such as wayfinding and education.

Child care and fun activities for children are available. Register for the workshops on Eventbrite.

The Edmonton Bike Plan will guide how biking fits into our city in the future, talk about our shared needs and values and support the City’s vision of a connected, healthy and accessible city.

Didn't even know this was a thing... i am very interested in any sort of bike plan as a ride a bike quite regularly.
unfortunately I don't have a copy but i'll second the question if anyone has this plan and can share!
edit: found this map on a Global News Article from january 2020. deffs not a plan but gives some insight:
1599361503447.png

I went to a few websites looking for stuff, all i could find were articles from a couple years ago advocating for lanes that now exist. One interesting note, in the Jan 2020 Global News article, they mention an increased focus on physically separate bike lanes. they also have an infographic that breaks down mileage of existing bike infrastructure.
1599361954918.png

Sorry i don't have anything real to answer your question, it would be lovely if we could at very least see the delayed plan they had but oh well.

Last edited:
I moved last year from Edmonton (where I grew up) to the GTA. Hope to move back to Edmonton's core soon though (was living in Grandin in the Hendrix). I really believe Edmonton could improve its biking infrastructure and has some great potential thanks to the river valley's promotion of biking for leisure. Seeing some of the biking infrastructure in Toronto has made me a huge fan. Would love to hear people's take on the challenges for biking be used for commuting. What do you think would help encourage more people to bike in the core?

Back