News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Cycling and Active Transportation in Edmonton

I think one of the biggest missed opportunities to encourage cycling is the lack of clearing of "painted" bicycle lanes. It's not just about clearing the dedicated lanes.
Insofar as we continue to rely on painted bike lanes in low density areas, then we must provide them with appropriate maintenance to justify their existence.
Routes such as 114 Ave and 92 St in Alberta Ave/Mccauley; the 92 St segment in Mccauley is part of their currently under construction neighbourhood renewal, and is considered to be a major cycling connection. But the actual infrastructure is only a one-way road for cars and a painted yellow line.
Separated bike lanes get some sort of dedicated clearing, eventually. But these painted neighbourhood bike lanes never get cleared, and end up with the same rutted hard to ride on ice pack as any other residential road.

To me, this "infrastructure" is basically purposeless, and really only acts as generalized wayfinding.
Functionality wise, these are quiet roads with low traffic, the fact that there isn't a separated lane isn't actually a big deal, and I ride on them lots, but with no maintenance in the winter they're as good as non-existent, and I see this all winter as many bike commuters migrate onto the sidewalks despite the "bike lane".

I think one of the biggest missed opportunities to encourage cycling is the lack of clearing of "painted" bicycle lanes. It's not just about clearing the dedicated lanes.
Insofar as we continue to rely on painted bike lanes in low density areas, then we must provide them with appropriate maintenance to justify their existence.
Routes such as 114 Ave and 92 St in Alberta Ave/Mccauley; the 92 St segment in Mccauley is part of their currently under construction neighbourhood renewal, and is considered to be a major cycling connection. But the actual infrastructure is only a one-way road for cars and a painted yellow line.
Separated bike lanes get some sort of dedicated clearing, eventually. But these painted neighbourhood bike lanes never get cleared, and end up with the same rutted hard to ride on ice pack as any other residential road.

To me, this "infrastructure" is basically purposeless, and really only acts as generalized wayfinding.
Functionality wise, these are quiet roads with low traffic, the fact that there isn't a separated lane isn't actually a big deal, and I ride on them lots, but with no maintenance in the winter they're as good as non-existent, and I see this all winter as many bike commuters migrate onto the sidewalks despite the "bike lane".
I feel like painted lanes are just seasonal here at this point. That’s why we need real infrastructure.

My bigger beef is clearing SUPs. They get a lot worse than bike lanes due to walking in the winter. The way the snow packs is brutal vs bike lanes, yet we wait 4-5 days to clear SUPs and do bike lanes immediately. With so many SUPs making up our bike path grid, this needs to change.

GC49rj9bkAAH0vn

GC49rj9bIAAZncM

GC49rj5bYAAKxlL

GC49rj9b0AAMhnr

Still crickets on the bike plan and 100mil that got approved 14 months ago…?

Whatever they drop better be incredible for it to be taking this long. Sort of laughable when they already had the bike routes designated in the bike plan… They haven’t even done engagement or anything yet. At this rate, there won’t be any new infrastructure for the 2nd summer after this approval…

Still crickets on the bike plan and 100mil that got approved 14 months ago…?

Whatever they drop better be incredible for it to be taking this long. Sort of laughable when they already had the bike routes designated in the bike plan… They haven’t even done engagement or anything yet. At this rate, there won’t be any new infrastructure for the 2nd summer after this approval…

IMG_5915.jpeg

Posted earlier in the thread.

Looking forward to engagement and construction starting this year!

Last edited:
View attachment 531356

Posted earlier in the thread.

Looking forward to engagement and construction starting this year!
Yeah, I got this timeline from a buddy in a councillor’s office. But it still feels a bit sluggish. Groups like paths for people, EFCL, bike Edmonton, etc haven’t been involved at all yet. Hopefully full steam ahead this year I guess!

It's also about attitude.

Last time I was in Edmonton EPS was parked in the middle of the bike lane on 103st, even though there multiple spots/option open on the roadway parking or the alley. I get that they were responding to something, but they had plenty of options and that's not the first time I've seen that. Sure, in an emergency situation, take what you need, but this was rolling up and going to talk to building managers.

No different than folks who use it to kiss and drop if street spots are full.

Little respect or care.

But conversely, I'd say 30% of riders I see do not use the actual lanes (not couriers).

Glad my ride down 83rd Ave was counted! 😂

I didn’t realize they tracked ridership each day. Very cool! Is there a link to this data?
Open data city portal! It’s not perfect, but is decent. 60% of my rides never get tracked because of counter locations, but this at least shows the key routes.

Last edited:
Anyone know if there are cheaper tickets available out there? Would love to go, but it’s pretty pricey to go casually vs it being a work related expense like I’m sure it is for most attendees.

There's a non-profit rate of $225. You should email brian@everactive.org who is coordinating the event and ask if you qualify as part of your community league executive.

CA$225.05incl. CA$14.33 Fee / incl. CA$10.72 GST

Sales end on Feb 16, 2024

This rate is to support Canadian non-profit organizations with annual budgets under $300,000 CAD.

Back