News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Coping with COVID-19

It might only take one week for Omicron to dominate Alberta, it's already 80% of Ontario's covid cases.

^

yes!!!

best christmas ever!!!

according to the premier, "we have to use every possible tool at our disposal to limit spread of the virus".

except, of course, some of the measures we were forced to implement to claw back our health system form the best summer ever's fourth wave.

because we don't really need to be quite as vigilant socializing with unvaccinated albertans in the face of an alarmingly more transmissible variant do we?
Fool me once?

It might only take one week for Omicron to dominate Alberta, it's already 80% of Ontario's covid cases.
Yeah, I wouldn't be shocked either. I just learned today that it's what I have. Seeing as I only bounce between work and campus, aside from the one oilers game I attended with my grandpa, this thing is definitely already heavily prevalent in our communities.

How have you been feeling, @CplKlinger? Hopefully mild symptoms?
Still mild so far, thanks for asking! I'm feeling mostly better actually; when it first started, I'd feel nauseous if I left bed at all. Now I just have a bit of a cough :)

New public health measures​

The new mandatory measures taking effect at 12:01 a.m. on Dec. 24 are:

• For venues in the Restrictions Exemption Program – 50 per cent capacity limit at venues that seat more than 1,000 people. For venues with capacity of between 500 and 1,000 occupants, 500 is the limit.
  • No food or drink consumption in seated audience settings or during intermissions in the above-mentioned venues.
  • There is no impact on venues under 500.
  • Maximum table capacity of 10 people in restaurants, pubs and bars. No mingling between tables.
  • No interactive activities at restaurants, pubs and bars (e.g., dancing, darts and billiards).
  • Restaurants, pubs and bars must stop liquor service at 11 p.m., and close at 12:30 a.m.

Restrictions continue for both indoor and outdoor social gatherings, weddings, funerals, places of worship and businesses. Albertans should also refrain from workplace social gatherings.

Masking remains mandatory in all indoor public spaces, including in facilities participating in the Restrictions Exemption Program. Masks should fit well and be of high quality. Albertans with risk factors for severe outcomes should wear medical masks in settings with those outside of their household.

COVID-19 boosters​

All Albertans aged 18 and older who received their second COVID-19 vaccine at least five months ago can now book a third dose.

Albertans are encouraged to take the first mRNA vaccine available to them for a third dose. Both the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines offer a high level of protection against COVID-19, particularly against severe outcomes.

Pfizer will be offered to Albertans 18 to 29 years of age for booster purposes as a cautionary measure. While there is an increased risk of myocarditis in younger Albertans, especially in males, from Moderna, individuals are much more likely to experience myocarditis from COVID-19 infection than the vaccine.

All Albertans aged 18 and older can book appointments for third doses online with participating pharmacies or AHS by using the Alberta vaccine booking system or by calling AHS at 811.

At-home rapid test kits​

In addition to ongoing orders for rapid tests from the Government of Canada, Alberta’s government will directly purchase up to 10 million rapid tests for anticipated delivery in January, allowing Albertans to secure immediate supplies.

More than 2.5 million rapid tests, or 500,000 rapid test kits, have already been made available to Albertans in the broad rollout that began on Dec 17. Additional supplies have been received from the federal government and are being shipped to participating AHS and pharmacy locations. If you have not already picked up your kit, visit alberta.ca/CovidRapidTests to find the location nearest you with available stock, as many locations still have supplies available.

Growing COVID-19 concerns prompt extra safety measures​

December 21, 2021

With the recent increase in new cases of COVID-19, protecting Edmontonians from the threat of COVID-19 is more important than ever, which is why the City of Edmonton supports the Government of Alberta’s newly introduced health and safety measures.

The severity of the Omicron variant is not yet known, but it is clear that there is an increased risk of transmission. Out of an abundance of caution, and in an effort to protect Edmontonians from this virus, the City’s New Year’s Eve fireworks show has been cancelled. In addition, the City of Edmonton is ready and willing to support the provincial government in protecting Edmontonians by making City facilities available to Alberta Health Services for vaccination sites, should they require it.

“The City of Edmonton is ready to adapt to changing public health orders at a moment’s notice, and I send my gratitude to all Edmontonians who do the same,” said Andre Corbould, Edmonton’s city manager. “Although these measures could impact some of your choices over the holidays, I encourage everyone in Edmonton to change their plans towards the safe, outdoor alternatives available to them throughout our city.”

There are many ways Edmontonians can enjoy outdoor spaces and continue protecting themselves, their families, and their friends from COVID-19, including:

Recreational fireworks are still allowed in neighbourhoods for small groups within Edmonton provided a permit is obtained and all safety guidelines are followed.​

Screen Shot 2021-12-21 at 7.49.50 AM.png

Alberta takes steps to safely return to normal​

February 08, 2022 Media inquiries
Provincewide public health measures will be gradually lifted as the fifth wave of COVID-19 subsides and pressure on the health-care system eases.
Alberta will begin a careful and prudent plan to phase out public health measures, starting Feb. 8. The three-step approach will begin with lower-risk activities while maintaining protections for the health-care system, including continuing care facilities.
Beginning Feb. 8 at 11:59 p.m., Alberta will move to step one, which includes the removal of the Restrictions Exemption Program and capacity limits on venues under 500 capacity, including libraries and places of worship, and allows for food and beverage consumption in seated audience settings for large events and entertainment venues. Mandatory masking for children and youth in schools, and for youth aged 12 and under in any setting will end Feb. 13 at 11:59 p.m.
“The last two years have taken a significant toll on Albertans’ overall health, social and economic well-being. Now that we are through the worst of the fifth wave and have achieved high vaccination rates, it is time to shift to a balanced approach where we are able to live with COVID-19 and return to normal.”
Jason Kenney, Premier
“The vast majority of Albertans are now fully vaccinated. It’s a major factor that now allows us to ease restrictions, but we will do so only as conditions show that our health system’s capacity is recovering. Albertans can help make that possible by getting every vaccine dose they are eligible for.”
Jason Copping, Health Minister
Subsequent steps will see changes to working from home, masking requirements, large venue capacity limits and indoor social gathering limits, with a final step removing isolation requirements and COVID-specific measures in continuing care settings. The lifting of restrictions will progress once pressures on the health-care system have sufficiently eased.

Step one​

Effective Feb. 8 at 11:59 p.m.:​

• Restrictions Exemption Program (REP) ends, along with most associated restrictions.
  • Entertainment venues will continue to have some specific rules in place:
    • Restrictions on sale of food and beverages and consumption while seated in audience settings will be removed.
    • Restrictions on closing times, alcohol service, table capacity in restaurants and interactive activities will remain in force.
  • For all businesses, venues and facilities – whether they were previously eligible for the REP or not – capacity limits are removed, except for:
    • Facilities with capacity of 500 to 1,000, which will be limited to 500.
    • Facilities with capacity of 1,000-plus, which will be limited to 50 per cent.

Effective at 11:59 p.m. on Feb. 13:​

• Masks will no longer be required for all children and youth in schools.
  • Masks will no longer be required in any setting for children aged 12 and under.

Step two​

Effective March 1:​

• Any remaining provincial school requirements (including cohorting) will be removed.
  • Screening prior to youth activities will no longer be required.
  • Capacity limits will be lifted for all venues.
  • Limits on social gatherings will be removed.
  • Provincial mask mandate will be removed.
  • Mandatory work from home removed.

Step three​

To be determined based on hospitalization rates continuing to trend downwards​

• COVID-specific measures in continuing care will be removed.
  • Mandatory isolation becomes a recommendation only.
Additional details on all restrictions and measures in place will be released prior to each step at alberta.ca/CovidMeasures.

Related information​

Multimedia​

Media inquiries​

Justin Brattinga

780-203-0177
Press Secretary, Office of the Premier

Steve Buick

780-288-1735
Senior Press Secretary, Ministry of Health

Back