News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.7K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Commonwealth Stadium

What should be done with Commonwealth Stadium?

• a) It should undergo a major refresh

Votes: 14 51.9%
  • b) A new stadium should be built

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • c) Upkeep and minor improvements are all that is needed

Votes: 7 25.9%

• Total voters
Looking at the awarded contract it looks like maybe a washroom upgrade. Looks like a 244,000 contract.

Screen Shot 2023-11-29 at 10.25.45 AM.png

A good example again of why the stadium is a competitive advantage for the city.
The Stadium is a “thing” for sure. Its also wildly problematic.

We should all be able to agree the track component of the stadium degrades nearly all other entertainment experiences.

We should all be able to agree that every ancillary service provided by the stadium, other than a chair to sit in, is sub par.

I attended last year but not this year. Judging by what I saw the crowd was smaller than what they had last year which was too bad as it is a fun event. Some thoughts:
  • If the crowd size was important they should have lowered prices I think it was minimum $50 or $60 to get in (certain age of child were free with adult I believe though)
  • They did a much better job with the jump itself this year for the athletes making it bigger so they could safely complete their jumps (there were some complaints last year)
  • The orientation of the jump was better for viewing having a bit of a side view for more folks (last year they were jumping straight towards you)
  • They did a lot of advertising on youtube I noticed but it remained quite vague which I felt was a negative. I want to hear about the competitors involved, which Canadians to look out for, jump specs, etc...
Freestyle snowboarding while great for all ages certainly has a strong youthful demographic but to expect big crowds of youth showing up at those prices is asking a lot. I understand this is a big expense event for Explore Edmonton and love the idea but outside of Olympic years it's a pretty niche sport. I wish they could save the expense of trucking in snow and building the big scaffold ramp and do this event at an existing ski facility like Snow Valley or Rabbit Hill and build up a festival atmosphere out there. You could still get thousands watching along the hill and at the bottom. Another thing to consider is getting more use out of it by perhaps bringing in a freestyle skiing big air to pair with it.

Just a few thoughts I had rattling around about it.

Attendance was down from last year but the actual event and the conditions were better, an organizer reported on TV. He said Edmonton's weather is perfect for this event and he also addressed attendance saying that was less of a concern versus their TV audience they get which supports their sponsors/provides revenue.

I love it at the stadium. Another cool location would be the Edmonton Ski Club (with City backdrop) but not sure you'd have enough vertical there.

I love it at the stadium. Another cool location would be the Edmonton Ski Club (with City backdrop) but not sure you'd have enough vertical there.
You would have to build out a massive jump as well. Even the old ski jump would have to have been extended.

Back