News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Commonwealth Stadium

What should be done with Commonwealth Stadium?

• a) It should undergo a major refresh

Votes: 14 51.9%
  • b) A new stadium should be built

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • c) Upkeep and minor improvements are all that is needed

Votes: 7 25.9%

• Total voters
I believe it is time for a refresh of Commonwealth. It has served us well but it is feeling dated and the fan experience could be improved. With some improvements, I could see it lasting well into the future. This was going to happen if Edmonton won the World Cup bid, so let’s get back onto that train of thought. The 50th anniversary (2028) is coming up, so it would be a fitting time for upgrades. A replacement stadium would probably be cost prohibitive and it would be tough to match what Commonwealth already has in place, some of which is a refreshed LRT station, space for event bus transit, the recreation center and Clarke stadium. It is good to see Edmonton attracting events to Commonwealth and the size of it affords the possibility of those opportunities. With updates, perhaps we can lure even more events. Some of the updates I would like to see, some of which they were talking about for the World Cup, would be updated washrooms and concessions, a wider concourse, removing the track and lowering the field to have fans closer to the action. Yes, we couldn’t hold athletics but it would be better suited to the vast majority of events. A wish item that should be explored would be a partial roof, although I could see that being too costly. Can we use some of the planning that was completed for the World Cup refresh and build on that? Having construction started by 2028 (better yet, completed by 2028) could be a real possibility with a coordinated effort. Although to do it, we will need provincial and federal money and I am not sure what the mechanisms would be to bring that about.

I think some smaller changes could go a long way for Commonwealth. For example, some changes to how the concession and circulation areas mix. I think some more premium type seating or boxes might also help attract future events. The turf will need to be replaced eventually and it would be great if we could get a heated hybrid turf system. More food and beverage variety/experiences would also be a way to reinvigorate things. For example, Rogers Place has several different styles of concessions with some having bars etc. where you can linger for a bit, or maybe just better demarcation where lines are to go. I think this would be very successful at Commonwealth. I would also like to see some more colour brought into the stadium concourse to break up the monotonous concrete/forest green gate experience. Some refreshed signs etc. would be a small addition but make it feel a little bit more modern.

A roof or exterior reclad would be great, but again I don't see the value proposition there. I wonder if some more temporary type seating (think old Rexall Place end zone areas) that could be brought closer to the field to improve the fan experience. I wonder if seating could be removed from other areas of the stadium too in order to make it feel more intimate. For the concessions I wonder if they could add a second level above the current concession area to relieve congestion. This could probably be done with a simple steel frame structure.

Bigger changes are unlikely due to the cost in my opinion, especially in this economic climate if there isn't a specific event that is being hosted. The World Cup was the chance to do it and now I don't know what the options are moving forward. ultimately I think whatever is done should be planned with increased utilization in mind. Figure out how to get more events or even just community usage of the facility.

Last edited:
For me, Commonwealth (which I LOVE) is between a rock and a hard place.

Too large 90% of the time, but amazing for that 10%.

Too far from the field/action, but tons of flexibility for events and concerts

Fighting to provide a quality experience compared to its peers, be it other CFL stadiums or other league offerings

It's a competitive advantage for certain tours, acts, events, festivals and one-off games, but it's a liability given its age and upkeep

Last edited:
I believe it is time for a refresh of Commonwealth. It has served us well but it is feeling dated and the fan experience could be improved. With some improvements, I could see it lasting well into the future. This was going to happen if Edmonton won the World Cup bid, so let’s get back onto that train of thought. The 50th anniversary (2028) is coming up, so it would be a fitting time for upgrades. A replacement stadium would probably be cost prohibitive and it would be tough to match what Commonwealth already has in place, some of which is a refreshed LRT station, space for event bus transit, the recreation center and Clarke stadium. It is good to see Edmonton attracting events to Commonwealth and the size of it affords the possibility of those opportunities. With updates, perhaps we can lure even more events. Some of the updates I would like to see, some of which they were talking about for the World Cup, would be updated washrooms and concessions, a wider concourse, removing the track and lowering the field to have fans closer to the action. Yes, we couldn’t hold athletics but it would be better suited to the vast majority of events. A wish item that should be explored would be a partial roof, although I could see that being too costly. Can we use some of the planning that was completed for the World Cup refresh and build on that? Having construction started by 2028 (better yet, completed by 2028) could be a real possibility with a coordinated effort. Although to do it, we will need provincial and federal money and I am not sure what the mechanisms would be to bring that about.
The track was removed a long time ago, no?

The BIG MOVE -- this is outside-the-box-thinking but I recall back in the '60s and '70s of the last century Edmonton had no problem filling the Stadium with CFL football fans and the Coliseum with Hockey Fans. Now we have a City with 1.5 million people and growing rapidly, a super-bright future with Oil products including Hydrogen, and Agricultural Products, and Forestry Products, and Mining Products that go beyond oil. Edmonton has probably got the best future of any Canadian City, partly a function of circumstance, partly a function of attitude (with some notable exceptions), and partly a function of "frontier-ism" and Northern sensibilities.
Thinking out loud, I would really like to see Katz and company assemble the land north of 105th Avenue between 108th street and 105th street for a new stadium with an operable roof and with apartment/condo buildings and an hotel building taking up the site corners. This with the possibility of commandeering in some form or other the Edmonton CFL franchise and an MSL (soccer) franchise. I fully suspect that the OEG will be angling for an NBA franchise -- it could have the double effect of reducing hockey ticket prices, and adding 50 event seating possibilities to the new Arena -- bringing sporting events to 150+ days out of the year and at the same time making the ICE District viable for all kinds of Hospitality and Retail outlets that spark the downtown scene in (frankly) unimaginable ways. The new Sports Field would free up Commonwealth Stadium to go for the "X" sports and for "outdoor Super-concerts".
A list of fair-weather late-Spring through early-Fall events that can sustain Commonwealth Stadium with a new mantle of concepts might include appointments such as:
1. Waterfall Kayaking: 130-foot drops -- building water platforms and up-air pools that allow for competitive X-factor diving vertically (wow -- would this be a powerful Global draw!).
2. Down-hill biking/Mountain biking (part of the same build-out that sustains item 1.).
3. BASE jumping.
4. Zip Lining (for people who want to experience the height and view of the Edmonton skyline).
5. Zip tow-line for water skiing and skateboarding (needs a rivulet creation in the area that once held track lanes).
6. White-water Rafting/Kayaking (opposite side for track transitioning).
7. Zorbing (by converting some of the seating on the north-east section of the stadium to Zorbing events).
8. Skydiving (targeted X-factor locating).
9. ATV races (around the perimeter of the track/field conversion).
10. Parasailing.
11. Rock-Climbing.
12. Flow-boarding.
13. Bungee Jumping.
14. Slacklining.
15. Bouldering.
16. Blobbing.
17. Xpogo.
18. Skateboarding.
19. Parkour.
20. Abseiling.
21. Wingsuit Flying.
22. BMX Racing.
23. Harcourt Bike Polo.
24. Motocross.
25. "Themed" Music concerts
The winter-time conversion (late Fall to early Spring) leads to these additional sporting/social events:
W-1. Ice-climbing.
W-2. Ice Swimming.
W-3 Snowmobiling/Snowcross.
W-4 Bobsledding.
W-5 Snowboarding.
W-6. Skeleton.
W-7. Freestyle Skiing.
W-8. Zip Snow-kiting.
W-9. Ski Jumping.
W-10. Ice-Cross Downhill.
W-11. Show Kayaking.
W-12. Snow Shovel Racing.
W-13. Ice Diving.
W-14. Ice Hockey (Outdoor Classics)
W-15. Dog Sledding (winter Rodeo)
W-16. Snow Polo.
W-17. Skijoring.
W-18. Snow Scooting.
W-19. Ice-cross Downhill.
W-20. "Fat" Biking.
W-21. Ice Sculpting.
W-22. Ice Driving.
W-23. Outdoor Winter Music Concerts (stage provided with Infra-red Heat).
The foregoing would envision converting Commonwealth Stadium into an entirely new venue, sustainable in its own rights with a world-class/world-wide imprimatur for sustainability and financial success. The Clarke Stadium portion of the complex could remain as combination Junior Football, Soccer Field, Winter Polo Field. The X-factor, in my opinion, would quickly reach world-class prominence.

Reactions: TAS
The BIG MOVE -- this is outside-the-box-thinking but I recall back in the '60s and '70s of the last century Edmonton had no problem filling the Stadium with CFL football fans and the Coliseum with Hockey Fans. Now we have a City with 1.5 million people and growing rapidly, a super-bright future with Oil products including Hydrogen, and Agricultural Products, and Forestry Products, and Mining Products that go beyond oil. Edmonton has probably got the best future of any Canadian City, partly a function of circumstance, partly a function of attitude (with some notable exceptions), and partly a function of "frontier-ism" and Northern sensibilities.
Thinking out loud, I would really like to see Katz and company assemble the land north of 105th Avenue between 108th street and 105th street for a new stadium with an operable roof and with apartment/condo buildings and an hotel building taking up the site corners. This with the possibility of commandeering in some form or other the Edmonton CFL franchise and an MSL (soccer) franchise. I fully suspect that the OEG will be angling for an NBA franchise -- it could have the double effect of reducing hockey ticket prices, and adding 50 event seating possibilities to the new Arena -- bringing sporting events to 150+ days out of the year and at the same time making the ICE District viable for all kinds of Hospitality and Retail outlets that spark the downtown scene in (frankly) unimaginable ways. The new Sports Field would free up Commonwealth Stadium to go for the "X" sports and for "outdoor Super-concerts".
A list of fair-weather late-Spring through early-Fall events that can sustain Commonwealth Stadium with a new mantle of concepts might include appointments such as:
1. Waterfall Kayaking: 130-foot drops -- building water platforms and up-air pools that allow for competitive X-factor diving vertically (wow -- would this be a powerful Global draw!).
2. Down-hill biking/Mountain biking (part of the same build-out that sustains item 1.).
3. BASE jumping.
4. Zip Lining (for people who want to experience the height and view of the Edmonton skyline).
5. Zip tow-line for water skiing and skateboarding (needs a rivulet creation in the area that once held track lanes).
7. Zorbing (by converting some of the seating on the north-east section of the stadium to Zorbing events).
10. Parasailing.
11. Rock-Climbing.
12. Flow-boarding.
13. Bungee Jumping.
14. Slacklining.
15. Bouldering.
16. Blobbing.
17. Xpogo.
18. Skateboarding.
19. Parkour.
20. Abseiling.
21. Wingsuit Flying.
22. BMX Racing.
23. Harcourt Bike Polo.
24. Motocross.
The winter-time conversion (late Fall to early Spring) leads to these additional sporting/social events:
W-1. Ice-climbing.
W-2. Ice Swimming.
W-4 Bobsledding.
W-5 Snowboarding.
W-6. Skeleton.
W-7. Freestyle Skiing.
W-8. Zip Snow-kiting.
W-9. Ski Jumping.
W-11. Show Kayaking.
W-13. Ice Diving.
W-16. Snow Polo.
W-17. Skijoring.
W-18. Snow Scooting.
W-20. "Fat" Biking.
W-21. Ice Sculpting.
W-22. Ice Driving.
The foregoing would envision converting Commonwealth Stadium into an entirely new venue, sustainable in its own rights with a world-class/world-wide imprimatur for sustainability and financial success. The Clarke Stadium portion of the complex could remain as combination Junior Football, Soccer Field, Winter Polo Field. The X-factor, in my opinion, would quickly reach world-class prominence.
Always like your vision. Would be exciting.

3. BASE jumping.
10. Parasailing.
11. Rock-Climbing.
12. Flow-boarding.
13. Bungee Jumping.
14. Slacklining.
15. Bouldering.
16. Blobbing.
17. Xpogo.
18. Skateboarding.
19. Parkour.
20. Abseiling.
21. Wingsuit Flying.
22. BMX Racing.
23. Harcourt Bike Polo.
24. Motocross.
W-1. Ice-climbing.
W-2. Ice Swimming.
W-4 Bobsledding.
W-5 Snowboarding.
W-6. Skeleton.
W-7. Freestyle Skiing.
W-8. Zip Snow-kiting.
W-9. Ski Jumping.
W-11. Show Kayaking.
W-13. Ice Diving.
W-16. Snow Polo.
W-17. Skijoring.
W-18. Snow Scooting.
W-20. "Fat" Biking.
W-21. Ice Sculpting.
W-22. Ice Driving.
I can’t imagine Edmonton getting an NBA team in most of our lifetimes. Vancouver and Calgary would first.

After the Failure of the Vancouver Grizzlies, it is unlikely that that City will get an NBA franchise for a l-o-o-o-ng time. Edmonton, historically, has been a better sports City than either Calgary or -- and especially so -- Vancouver.

The Grizzlies were a massive failure in Vancouver and Calgary isn't quite the enthusiast on any sports other than Hockey, for the most part. For whatever reason, I believe the chances of Edmonton getting an NBA franchise higher than theirs, albeit still highly unlikely.
If Canada does get a second team, my bet would still be Montreal.

3. BASE jumping.
10. Parasailing.
11. Rock-Climbing.
12. Flow-boarding.
13. Bungee Jumping.
14. Slacklining.
15. Bouldering.
16. Blobbing.
17. Xpogo.
18. Skateboarding.
19. Parkour.
20. Abseiling.
21. Wingsuit Flying.
22. BMX Racing.
23. Harcourt Bike Polo.
24. Motocross.
W-1. Ice-climbing.
W-2. Ice Swimming.
W-4 Bobsledding.
W-5 Snowboarding.
W-6. Skeleton.
W-7. Freestyle Skiing.
W-8. Zip Snow-kiting.
W-9. Ski Jumping.
W-11. Show Kayaking.
W-13. Ice Diving.
W-16. Snow Polo.
W-17. Skijoring.
W-18. Snow Scooting.
W-20. "Fat" Biking.
W-21. Ice Sculpting.
W-22. Ice Driving.

Two questions:
1. Would the new stadium proposal be part of a Ice District Phase 3?
2. What will be the cost and who will be paying for it? I assume a CRL will be involved.

Back