News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Capital Line LRT

I like the vibe though, time to bring that colour scheme back around!
Everything comes back in fashion, so perhaps it will be soon (or at least probably before the future retail space opens).

Personally I think for public accountability all members of council should be made to stand in front of this sign holding a paper sign with the year on it, take a picture and have to post it on their twitter, or whatever its called now, pages.

Going down 111 St right now is a pain with both 34 and 23 Ave under construction, albeit 34 Ave isn't LRT related. Even though construction proper hasn't started, it sure feels like it.

So with the Exhibition Lands sale, it's safe to say now that the 115 Ave station will become the first infill station in Edmonton's LRT network? I'm quite certain that part of the terms of sale would include a developer investment to match any City funding, as was the case with Brookfield and Station station rebuild.

It's a more proactive approach than building the station and fishing for developers to bite, like with Century Park and Beldevere (and now Blatchford...)

With the imminent teardown of the old Coliseum, has there been any talk of renaming Coliseum Station?
Obvious options: 118 Avenue Station, Exhibition Station, Alberta Avenue Station.

Though I suppose since they never renamed Corona Station despite it's namesake being long gone.....
Edit: It occurs to me, with the new Warehouse Park going in, it would be a good opportunity to finally rename Corona Station for the park. "Warehouse Park Station" ?

Personally they should have renamed Coliseum Station once Rogers Place opened.

How about Northlands Station to replace Coliseum Station? This renaming can represent the historical legacy of Northlands.
There will be another LRT station near the southern end of the Exhibition Lands - it can be called Exhibition Lands Station.

Personally they should have renamed Coliseum Station once Rogers Place opened.

How about Northlands Station to replace Coliseum Station? This renaming can represent the historical legacy of Northlands.
There will be another LRT station near the southern end of the Exhibition Lands - it can be called Exhibition Lands Station.
Very good idea! Adding, in part, the directional identifier north distinguishes it from the Exhibition Lands Station immediately south, yet also keeps the tie in to the site and the Coliseum.

Wonder if they'll do something like Montrose/Eastwood instead. Or whatever the adjacent bus station gets named.

With the imminent teardown of the old Coliseum, has there been any talk of renaming Coliseum Station?
Obvious options: 118 Avenue Station, Exhibition Station, Alberta Avenue Station.

Though I suppose since they never renamed Corona Station despite it's namesake being long gone.....
Edit: It occurs to me, with the new Warehouse Park going in, it would be a good opportunity to finally rename Corona Station for the park. "Warehouse Park Station" ?

Bay station kept its name even when its namesake building didn't, then had Enterprise Square tacked on...

If it's anything like Blatchford, it'll be Coliseum / Exhibition Market and Exhibition Gate.

If the Coliseum is physically gone (as opposed to the Bay Building which is still there and retains some of the Bay images and heritage, but has another name), it would be a good time for the name to be gone too.

If the Coliseum is physically gone (as opposed to the Bay Building which is still there and retains some of the Bay images and heritage, but has another name), it would be a good time for the name to be gone too.
Oh you mean like Corona Station 😏

Of all the things to do, I think renaming Coliseum is a low priority. And, personally, I think it's a cool name that rolls of the tongue nicely with aspirational evocations while paying homage to the history of the area (even if there won't be other remnants). Northlands is much more generic, and Expo could be anywhere. Likewise, renaming Corona (a sharp, snappy name that also pays homage to the area) to the utterly generic "Warehouse Park Station" is a downgrade IMO. These names have gone far beyond the original reference to a specific place and are now more simply the word for a given area of the city. People say "Coliseum area" and "Corona" connotes a specific part of downtown irrespective of if its namesake still exists, so it's not like the words are meaningless.

If we're doing any renaming, it should be getting rid of the absurd preference for hyphenated names. Does the City realize that LRT stations can just be snappy and to the point? South Campus is not near Fort Edmonton (I know this is an old controversy), NAIT/Blatchford Mkt can just be NAIT, etc.

Of all the things to do, I think renaming Coliseum is a low priority. And, personally, I think it's a cool name that rolls of the tongue nicely with aspirational evocations while paying homage to the history of the area (even if there won't be other remnants). Northlands is much more generic, and Expo could be anywhere. Likewise, renaming Corona (a sharp, snappy name that also pays homage to the area) to the utterly generic "Warehouse Park Station" is a downgrade IMO. These names have gone far beyond the original reference to a specific place and are now more simply the word for a given area of the city. People say "Coliseum area" and "Corona" connotes a specific part of downtown irrespective of if its namesake still exists, so it's not like the words are meaningless.

If we're doing any renaming, it should be getting rid of the absurd preference for hyphenated names. Does the City realize that LRT stations can just be snappy and to the point? South Campus is not near Fort Edmonton (I know this is an old controversy), NAIT/Blatchford Mkt can just be NAIT, etc.

Let's say you're new to Edmonton and you are an LRT rider. You look at the LRT map, notice the Coliseum LRT station and assume it is referring to Rogers Place and Ice District, a good draw for tourism and for hockey fans. You hop on the LRT, disembark at the Coliseum LRT station and see Northlands Coliseum empty, shuttered and ready to be demolished. The message you may get from this experience could be "Welcome to Edmonton and Fuck You, Mr. Tourist!" I realize you're not a big fan of tourism in Edmonton, but just these little things can go a long way to making a first impression for tourists, business leaders and other newcomers. That's why the LRT station should have been renamed when Rogers Place opened in 2015.

Back