News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Capital Line LRT

So there will be a station at Twin Brooks after all, interesting.

Given the kerfuffle with the Green Line, I'm surprised that McIver hasn't raised much objection to this. A billion dollars for 4.5 km of rail seems steep compared to Valley Line but if it's grade separated I guess it makes sense.

I also noticed that they're cutting the mini garage that's part of the Metro Blatchford extension to fund this? It's a fair trade-off, but does that mean the high floor lines won't be running at full frequency until this opens?

How much is of the money is for the LRT vehicle storage facility, and the bridges across Henday and Blackmud Creek?
I'm just trying to piece things together here, I don't have any new info to back this up unfortunately, but here's what I think is happening with funding. but i believe the $1.47 billion is a pot of money made available to the city for all of it's LRT extensions; and most of it is the $950 million the province contributed for the Valley Line West, and some of it is also going towards the Metro Line NW into Blatchford. i remember when council approved this Soutg extension in 2019 (the vote where they decided to use any new funding towards the South instead of NW) the cost was pegged at $700 million total. That may have changed a bit, but i think it's somewhere in that ballpark.
I'm betting the OMF won't come cheap, and passing over the Henday is gonna be pricey too. also, an Elevated station is gonna be steep. this line is short but still really fancy. IDK, it will be interesting to see what costs what and gets built where when, given how these extensions seem to be drawing off a shared pot of money.

When this gets built this park n ride will go from very little used to becoming a major stop. Good news indeed. One hurdle closer towards getting to the airport.
The Capital Line won't run to the airport. The City Plan envisions a dedicated heavy rail line along the CPR ROW south from Old Strathcona along Highway 2 to the airport instead.

The Capital Line won't run to the airport. The City Plan envisions a dedicated heavy rail line along the CPR ROW south from Old Strathcona along Highway 2 to the airport instead.
Well that may be a hope too, although you have to admit that LRT still has a better chance getting there and would make way more sense. If it were to be an LRT line connecting the airport to many parts of the city or one train station at the airport connecting to one station at Old Strathcona, I would pick LRT.

Also too, if we actually see funding and preliminary construction start happening for a heavy rail line then I might feel hopefully of that plan actually happen. As it stands right now though LRT is light years ahead of this other proposal, where as the proposal for the train line would unfortunately fit into the category of projects like the Edmontonian. I suspect we could see the river valley Gondola built before we'd see a heavy rail line move forward. Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see it happen, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

I think, as development goes further south, the LRT will follow. The LRT to the airport likely won’t beat direct transportation downtown, but it will be helpful for people working at the airport, or those coming in late at night.

Back