News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Capital Line LRT

Looks like the city is considering winterizing surface LRT stations, with BelMac and South Campus stations seemingly the priority; the report is going to Community & Public Services Committee on Sept 30:
  • Winterizing the McKernan/Belgravia and South Campus/Fort Edmonton LRT stations, which are most exposed to the elements, could cost up to $300,000 to fully enclose and heat.
  • Removing the existing waiting shelters at the two stations and installing larger shelters could cost anywhere from $1.2 million to $2 million.
  • Heating and enclosing all waiting shelters on the 10 ground-level LRT stations could cost up to $1.5 million.
(Item 6.4)

Really confused by this. Mckernan was closed all summer for platform repairs (isn't thing only like 10 years old?) and South Campus is still really new. why wasn't this considered when they were built? I mean, these upgrades sound like a great idea, and necessary in our climate, but this seems really soon for a retrofit or rebuild of station facilities. I can't open the meeting item to see details, but i wonder what 'heated' entails? like, is that rebuilding the single-pane shelter buildings and adding a heating system, or is it just bolting an IR heater to the ceiling to take the edge off?
IDK. our LRT needs stuff like this but 300k to fix a pretty basic design flaw in a new facility is frustrating to see.

So I'll admit I'm a bit bored before going to sleep tonight, so I got to wondering about one long lost proposal, the extention north east to Gorman. If this were to get done would it not be good to look at it at this time again? In the 10 years since it was proposed, the area has grown hasn't it? Wouldn't this tiny extension be one of the easiest to build. Could they ever consider building a temporary station like NAIT or the original Clareview temp station to start getting ridership from residents of that area. Add another park n ride purhaps?

Why don't they name the Station "Manning" after Manning drive and Manning Town Centre in that area? 🤔

I know the Gorman name has historical associations with the area, i vaguely remember it being some industrial complex or company that was big there at one point. Manning Town Centre or something along those lines would make sense for a name! I mean, this area is the least-underserved area of the suburbs in terms of LRT, so i think this extension can wait personally, but it would be cool to see happen sometime, given how relatively easy it would be to build and operate, and how it would improve accessibility to the North End and Fort Sask. IDK. a fun hypothetical!

So I have been driving past the Ellerslie Rd, Heritage Valley transit centre relatively regularly lately. I'm glad it was built but am very disappointed how under used it is. It seems there are barely a couple dozen cars there most of the time. Definitely they need to get the LRT the so that people will make that station/transit centre a destination.

So I have been driving past the Ellerslie Rd, Heritage Valley transit centre relatively regularly lately. I'm glad it was built but am very disappointed how under used it is. It seems there are barely a couple dozen cars there most of the time. Definitely they need to get the LRT the so that people will make that station/transit centre a destination.
Multiple factors are gonna make it more used, like as you mentioned the future LRT, Covid ending and people going places again, and actually building some mixed-use TOD there. A sea of 1000+ cars could only fill 2-3 trains, and nobody travels to a parking lot to do things. Not to mention that the land will become super valuable once the LRT starts operating there.

New stadium station starting to take shape
B01E7DD2-65BC-4989-8596-957CEAC092E0.jpeg

Big news!

Executive Summary
The City of Edmonton has received funding commitments from the provincial government for the Capital Line extension south of Century Park. This is part of the $1.47 billion previously committed to the City of Edmonton by both the federal and provincial governments for light rail transit expansion. The application is currently with the federal government for review and submission to the federal Treasury Board by the fall of this year. This project supports the strategic goals of The City Plan and ConnectEdmonton to create a Healthy City, vibrant Urban Places, support Regional Prosperity and Climate Resilience.

Administration has advanced the design for the extension of the Capital Line from Century Park to Ellerslie Road and is ready to move to the procurement phase. Based on the size and scope of the work, the recommended approach would be a “construction manager at risk” procurement, similar to what is currently being used for the Metro Line extension into Blatchford. The scope would include an additional 4.5km of LRT service from Century Park to the Heritage Valley Park and Ride at Ellerslie Road, a station at Twin Brooks, a new LRT Operations and Maintenance Facility (OMF) and the purchase of 24 Light Rail vehicles.

The timing of final funding approvals will influence whether construction is able to begin in the Spring/Summer of 2022.

Screen Shot 2021-06-05 at 8.40.20 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-06-05 at 8.40.54 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-06-05 at 8.41.50 AM.png

Back