News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Canada Soccer

From insiders in Vancouver, FIFA's choice had a lot to do with the lack of club seats at Commonwealth. Don't forget, FIFA is about money, and they needed/wanted space for their sponsors at games. FIFA looked at that fact, looked at BC Place, which has a good number of club seats, and pushed for Vancouver to get back in.

From insiders in Vancouver, FIFA's choice had a lot to do with the lack of club seats at Commonwealth. Don't forget, FIFA is about money, and they needed/wanted space for their sponsors at games. FIFA looked at that fact, looked at BC Place, which has a good number of club seats, and pushed for Vancouver to get back in.

Interesting that Toronto's BMO Field has 0 club seats like Commonwealth Stadium, and that's after they add seats to make FIFA's minimum standard of at least 40,000 seats.

Toronto was planning to add about 700 more luxury seats than Commonwealth, but overall they will still have more than 10,000 fewer seats per game than Edmonton would have had - that's a lot of revenue.

I still think the biggest factor is who and where Canada's soccer officials and our FIFA reps reside.

#1 reason - Provincial demands - don't bite the hand that feeds
#2 Stadium condition - lack of VIP
#3/4 - Lack of 4 star hotels and YEG - Lack for VIP
#5 distance from other markets/games

BrettB nailed it though. Similar to F1, these events are designed for the top 2% of folks, sponsors, VIPs, top-tier 'fans'.

Lots of 'inside' info and a case can be made based on various fronts about what happened.

Keith Gerein of the EJ had some different perspectives from his 'inside' info.

He reached out to Soccer Canada and didn't get a response back.

That's one of the frustrating things about this process - we supported the bid for Soccer Canada as a needed site and willingly invested in the process at their encouragement and we can't even get a proper debrief from them as to what happened? It's inside info from this person and an insider told me this and so on.

Even the decision for Canada was leaked before the announcement and nowhere else was that the case.

Not well managed by Soccer Canada after the fact (and during) and not a proper way to treat a partner.

Last edited:
Where's the best place to catch a game in the City. The Voyageurs are having a viewing party at the Pint off Whyte but is there anywhere else? I would imagine a place like Sherlock's or Duggan's Boundary would be a good place?

Kelly's, Shelock's, 1st Round, Obyrne's, Rocky Mountain Ice House, Pint Downtown (but the real supporters are at the one above).

Canada came out firing, but man o man, hit the net and finish something. Nerves, inexperience, a Belgium team shutting them down.

Disappointed that they did not try to put something together in the last 15 seconds.

A bunch of amateur errors as well, but you can't not be pleased with the effort.

Canada came out firing, but man o man, hit the net and finish something. Nerves, inexperience, a Belgium team shutting them down.

Disappointed that they did not try to put something together in the last 15 seconds.

A bunch of amateur errors as well, but you can't not be pleased with the effort.
Wait what? I’ve heard the complete opposite! I didnt watch the game but have been told my many many fans that we outplayed and outchanced them by a “yuge” margin…..are they wrong?

Back