News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Canada Soccer

Unfortunately I don’t think we have that kind of leverage.
Oh yeah, I'm not thinking about leverage, just spite lol. I'd feel guilty giving them some of my sparse savings if the rumours hold to be true. I'd rather support local, like FC Edmonton.

Last edited:
So with Edmonton's bid seemingly unfortunately dead, I am beginning to wonder what improvement works will need to happen to Commonwealth regardless of the World Cup. Many of the improvements noted needed to occur anyways as the stadium is aging and is becoming somewhat obsolete, even in terms of those in Canada. Is there any appetite from the City to commit to improvements without a large hosting event? Obviously they may not be as large in scale but something will have to be done to ensure the stadium is competitive long-term.

So with Edmonton's bid seemingly unfortunately dead, I am beginning to wonder what improvement works will need to happen to Commonwealth regardless of the World Cup. Many of the improvements noted needed to occur anyways as the stadium is aging and is becoming somewhat obsolete, even in terms of those in Canada. Is there any appetite from the City to commit to improvements without a large hosting event? Obviously they may not be as large in scale but something will have to be done to ensure the stadium is competitive long-term.

Agree, with 60,000+ fans at the two Garth Brooks concerts coming up, the line-ups for food, beverages, souvenirs, washrooms etc is going to be brutal.
Maybe some of the seats need to be removed as well to create some premium boxes.

Having thought about this more, IF we do get shut out as a host city, I wouldn’t be surprised a bit if Soccer Canada “ throws us a bone” and gives us a tune up game or two ( or more) for Team Canada leading up to the start of the tournament. By doing that they could position this in a way that makes us feel “important” and part of the whole World Cup experience while still extracting big $s out of Edmonton sports/soccer fans leading up to the big tournament. The bridesmaid instead of the bride. The understudy to the star performers. The stunt double to the action hero. Seems to be the way the rest of the country thinks of us.

Having thought about this more, IF we do get shut out as a host city, I wouldn’t be surprised a bit if Soccer Canada “ throws us a bone” and gives us a tune up game or two ( or more) for Team Canada leading up to the start of the tournament. By doing that they could position this in a way that makes us feel “important” and part of the whole World Cup experience while still extracting big $s out of Edmonton sports/soccer fans leading up to the big tournament. The bridesmaid instead of the bride. The understudy to the star performers. The stunt double to the action hero. Seems to be the way the rest of the country thinks of us.
I still think we should decline any attempts to 'throw us a bone' like that. It's just patronizing at this point, given how they didn't even have the courtesy to move the goalposts in advance. If people in Edmonton want to watch soccer, they should support Edmonton FC instead of giving fifa a dime.

Not really surprising given that you want the largest, sexiest, best markets... but this really stung for me and all of Edmonton.

That said, congratulations to all of the host cities.

Screen Shot 2022-06-16 at 4.40.05 PM.png

Not really surprising given that you want the largest, sexiest, best markets... but this really stung for me and all of Edmonton.

That said, congratulations to all of the host cities.
largest, sexiest and best market? Kansas City? This all thing is not about that, but mostly about the demands of the UCP

Back