News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) in Edmonton

Captain Obvious (me) came up with the idea and Captain Obvious has no relations with 'Lincoln Ho'. It looks like the idea is more obvious than Captain Obvious thought! 😲

From the City website: https://www.edmonton.ca/city_government/initiatives_innovation/bus-based-mass-transit

Building off the mass transit study work, we are now in the strategy stage for the 3 identified city-wide BRT routes:
  • Castle Downs to Century Park via 97 Street and Gateway Boulevard/Calgary Trail
  • West Edmonton Mall to Bonnie Doon via Quesnell Bridge and Whyte Avenue
  • Ambleside to University via Terwillegar Drive (already partially under construction as part of the Terwillegar Drive expansion)
Details at this stage include:
  • Confirming route alignments (along which streets the routes will run)
  • Outlining, at a high level, how the streets with BRT mass transit might look
  • Identifying station locations
  • Developing a staging plan with the order each route will be implemented

All 3 of these corridors should have rapid transit and although I think LRT should be the endgame for them all, I'm not against BRT now. It can be deployed quicker and give people better transit sooner while demand increases until such a time that LRT is warranted, like we've seen in Vancouver and Ottawa.

Last edited:
I think any BRT will need to include service to Edmonton International Airport, although the Century Park to Leduc/EIA could also be expanded.

BRT route starting at Meadows to Meadows Rec Center, Millwoods Town center, millwoods rec center, south edmonton common, century park, rabbit hill road, terwillegar rec center, ending in Windermere, with purhaps a couple other stops at high traffic transfer points could be pretty useful I'd think.

BRT route starting at Meadows to Meadows Rec Center, Millwoods Town center, millwoods rec center, south edmonton common, century park, rabbit hill road, terwillegar rec center, ending in Windermere, with purhaps a couple other stops at high traffic transfer points could be pretty useful I'd think.

23rd Ave and 137th Ave are very ideal candidates for BRT.

Route 56 is a crosstown route with 15 minute frequencies: https://webdocs.edmonton.ca/transit/route_schedules_and_maps/sc3/RT056.pdf

I think certain segments of it can be upgraded. For example, bus lanes along 23 Avenue

I keep forgetting, but whatever happened to the proposed downtown/airport direct bus route?

It's in the story you posted. City is looking for cost sharing partners as council doesn't want to add further to the 2023-26 tax increase that implementing this service would do.

"Council agreed to Stevenson's idea last month, and asked administration to report back with the options this fall."

Or am I misreading your question?

Thanks, @TAS - I wasn't sure if there were any changes to this route since that article was published.

It's in the story you posted. City is looking for cost sharing partners as council doesn't want to add further to the 2023-26 tax increase that implementing this service would do.

"Council agreed to Stevenson's idea last month, and asked administration to report back with the options this fall."

Or am I misreading your question?
I find it so deliciously ironic that they're crying about needing regional partners to help pay for airport service when they just shot down a regional transit service that would have done exactly this, because it didn't benefit Edmonton enough in their eyes. I say regional partners shouldn't pay more than they already are - Edmonton can't have its cake and eat it too.

Back