News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) in Edmonton

I find it so deliciously ironic that they're crying about needing regional partners to help pay for airport service when they just shot down a regional transit service that would have done exactly this, because it didn't benefit Edmonton enough in their eyes. I say regional partners shouldn't pay more than they already are - Edmonton can't have its cake and eat it too.

Council is not looking for regional partners according to the article but moreso business partners in the dt and so on.

Council is not looking for regional partners according to the article but moreso business partners in the dt and so on.
During the budget debate, I thought I remembered hearing councilors talk about how this would benefit the region too, and they were wondering if other municipalities (aside from Leduc) could be convinced to chip in. That being said, I can't find it right now since the presentation for it didn't take place at the same time they voted on it. Perhaps I misremembered and the discussion didn't go there - if I did, that's my bad. I'll keep poking around at some point to see if I can find the part where administration presented that idea and council discussed it.

IMG_6177.jpeg

From Michael Janz^

I was hoping for LRT down Whyte, but I think BRT will be a positive for the City and will (hopefully) encourage further TOD. I’m especially hoping for denser development in Old Strathcona.

Last edited:
I was hoping for LRT down Whyte, but I think BRT be a positive for the City and will (hopefully) encourage further TOD. Im especially hoping for denser development in Old Strathcona.
The nice thing about BRT is that it is much easier to convert it to LRT than say a regular street later down the track. I'm in the camp that LRT needs to be put in a tunnel under Whyte however to be competitive with driving (or the current bus routes). I don't mind BRT down Whyte whatsoever as of right now, and as someone who takes the 404 down Whyte back and forth everyday, it would hopefully shorten my morning commute significantly.

Some problems with Whyte Ave is it is already congested with local traffic, parking, commuters and others using it. There are also large a number of intersections with other streets with lights.

Also whatever you do, the fundamental problem remains there is no other major east west route fairly directly connecting the U of A area with the eastern and suburban area of the city.

It is a very heavily used road, so I think any solution that does not involve an new route will just exacerbate other problems.

Given that Council has voted down first the EMTSC and then the airport bus service expansion, should people expect a three-peat with the proposed BRT network?

Given that the Number 4 (Bonnie Doon-WEM) is a popular route, I dont think it would need much more resources.

I think the challenge with Route 4 is that is has a lot of stops (and traffic lights) along Whyte Avenue, which is compounded with bad weather. Perhaps having priority signals on Whyte Avenue could speed up buses.

I wonder if the B2 could run from Bonnie Doon along Whyte Avenue west with stops at 91, 99 and 104 Street. The bus could continue west to 109 Street and turn south, continuing to 76 Avenue, There could be a stop at 114 Street (McKernan/Belgravia Station) and the bus could continue south to South Campus Station. The bus could continue west along Fox Drive/Whitemud like the proposed B2. There would be LRT access to the University Hospital and University of Alberta, and a lot of time savings bypassing the University.

The 4 could continue as an east-west route. The route from West Edmonton Mall to the U of A could continue the same, and the east segment could take a similar route to Sherwood Park's 414, taking 87 Avenue and Walterdale east to 98 Avenue. One of the stops could include the stop next to the Muttart Station. The bus could continue east to Capilano. The 8 (Abbottsfield-University) offers 12 minute service along Whyte Avenue, including OWL Service.

Last edited:
With the 4 / B2, it could be a quick win to implement something like what Vancouver had on Broadway with the 9 / B99 combo.

On the other hand, the City might be aiming for something more substantial like Calgary's Max Purple, with dedicated BRT lanes and more substantial stops.

That being said, I am still opposed to the inclusion of 114 St. That corridor is already the bottleneck for LRT and piling on buses will only make things worse, particularly since it's the only access to University from the south. It's also deeply discouraging to see Whyte in the list of "areas that will never get LRT".

Either way, May is just a few months away -- we'll see then.

As well, maybe it would be better to have the B1 continue to the airport instead of selling the CBD-YEG bus as a standalone service?

Last edited:
The bus lane elements in the Future Base Scenario include:
● Peak direction bus lanes on 97 Street between 118 Avenue and Yellowhead, SB from135 to 125, and NB at 137 into Northgate TC. There is also a peak direction laner eversal south of Yellowhead Trail. (Used by BNR routes and by B1 in options A and B)
● A combination of NB bus lanes on 109 Street operating in peaks and all day. (Used byBNR routes)● Bus lanes on Fox Drive and connecting through to South Campus. (used by BNRroutes, the SWBRT in the base scenario, and B2 and B6 in Options A and B)
● Peak period bus lanes on Jasper Avenue between ~120 Street and ~110 Street.
● Bus lanes on Whitemud and Terwillegar Drive between Fox Drive and Windermere Blvd(used by the SWBRT in the base scenario and by B6 in Options A and B).
● Several dedicated bus lanes on various downtown blocks – because of high volumes of buses stopping – and at approaches to various transit centres around the city.
These elements are the starting point for Options A and B. Both options include:
● Peak direction, peak period lanes extended on 97 Street to Eaux Claires TC, converted from existing lanes;
● Bus lanes added to 153 Avenue from just east of 97 Street to Castle Downs;
● NB bus lane converted from an existing lane on Gateway Boulevard, from 23 Avenue to63 Avenue;
● SB bus lane conversion on Calgary Trail from 63 Avenue to 23 Avenue;
● Peak direction, peak period bus lane on 82 (Whyte) Avenue from 99 Street to 112Street;
● Peak direction, peak period bus lane on Whitemud from 159 Street to Fox Drive; and
● Peak direction, peak period bus lane on 23 Avenue from Calgary Trail to 111 Street.Bus lanes tested in the model generally assumed reallocation of existing street space rather than widening.

Back