News   Apr 03, 2020
 8K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 9.1K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3K     0 

Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) in Edmonton

Similar to the Skytrain cost per km, but with higher operational costs. Bridge might be cheaper.

You could build like 3-5 Valley Line spurs for the price of something like that. The Metro Line North extension has the worst cost/benefit of all possible expansions. It's probably worse than Gorman.

For the cost of the bridge alone you could build a KC style streetcar in Strathcona/Garneau connecting the VL to Capital/Metro Line. This would be heavily used immediately.

Building expensive lines that won't drive significant day 1 ridership can't be the path forward.

Similar to the Skytrain cost per km, but with higher operational costs. Bridge might be cheaper.

You could build like 3-5 Valley Line spurs for the price of something like that. The Metro Line North extension has the worst cost/benefit of all possible expansions. It's probably worse than Gorman.

For the cost of the bridge alone you could build a KC style streetcar in Strathcona/Garneau connecting the VL to Capital/Metro Line. This would be heavily used immediately.

Building expensive lines that won't drive significant day 1 ridership can't be the path forward.
If you are suggesting the metro line north cannot justify the cost I could agree with you. There are so many other projects that in my mind could get a better bang for our buck. However I don’t see how going up 127 or 97 street alignment would benefit.

The Metro Line alignment should've never directly crossed the CN yards, so foolish. It should've always gone up either 97 St. or 127 St. where the yards narrow considerably, as that crossing would likely cost $250 - $500 million alone now.
years ago I recall something being designed for 97th, hence why it's so wide, may have been BRT or LRT, don't remember all the details...

Back