News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) in Edmonton

The recent interim update report has further refinements to what was quoted, along with a concept plan showing the upgrades that would be needed to enable these routes (mostly repurposed lane space). All things considered, it is fairly achievable within the target date of 2030 -- provided that funding is available in the next budget cycle.

MTP 1.25M.pngMTP BL 1.25M.png

Looking at B1, the north corridor (north of downtown) could be very good considering its proximity to residential, business and intersecting different bus routes. The south corridor on Calgary Tr/Gateway Blvd doesn't seem as promising considering there are very few bus routes that intersect B1, and mainly business but not as much residential to feed this part of it. Who know, maybe I'm mistaken but Gateway/ Calgary Tr section would be way better for an express route not BRT unless they improve the intersecting routes.

Looking at B1, the north corridor (north of downtown) could be very good considering its proximity to residential, business and intersecting different bus routes. The south corridor on Calgary Tr/Gateway Blvd doesn't seem as promising considering there are very few bus routes that intersect B1, and mainly business but not as much residential to feed this part of it. Who know, maybe I'm mistaken but Gateway/ Calgary Tr section would be way better for an express route not BRT unless they improve the intersecting routes.
There's not a lot of residential, but there are business to be visited/worked at and, long term, this will make commuting to them less complicated and lengthy, which might open job opportunities for people who don't drive (for whatever reason).
This might also help spur some denser forms of development along the corridor, will certainly benefit the hotel's along it (thinking people visiting for the World Cup, for example), etc...
Think of the North/Downtown corridor as feed and south corridor as destination. It will also make it easier to connect to shopping destinations such as the South Edmonton Common (as much as I hate the very existence of it) and provide a faster way to get to and from YEG from the north end of the city, which currently involves taking a regular bus to an LRT station, riding to Southgate and hopping on another bus.

I am interested how this statement in the N/S Route will be addressed "will require an exclusive river crossing from the Centre City to Whyte Avenue." On an existing roadway and bridge or a new bridge? Anyone have insight on the plan?
The dedicated river crossing included in this route proposal may be a new facility (bridge) or the future expansion (or repurposing) of existing bridges to create dedicated transit-only space.

I doubt the public's appetite for new river crossings -- rebuilding / widening of existing bridges is the only real option, and the Walterdale is the easiest since it was built with an extra lane in mind.

Honestly, I think it's a missed opportunity that the proposed High Level rehab doesn't include mixed bus / streetcar lanes on the top deck. I understand that fully loaded LRT trains might be too much for the old gal, but surely buses are comparable in size and weight to streetcars?

Last edited:
I would want BRT to be set up as a precursor to LRT, with the idea that a given line would be "upgraded" to rails when passenger volumes and money made it feasible. This is exactly what Ottawa has done--some of its LRT routes are former Transitways. You could set up BRT to funnel people into the existing LRT network.
  • Windermere to Century Park LRT. Part of me still wishes the Capital Line South extension were going to the Currents Drive area instead of Heritage Valley, but I accept the need to have the future hospital on the line.
  • Harvest Hills/Watt Common to MIll Woods LRT.
  • Lago Lindo to Canada Place: I would have preferred the Metro Line to be a straight shot down 97 Street instead of zigzagging through KIngsway and Castle Downs.
  • Jensen Lakes to NAIT/Blatchford Gate LRT
  • Schonsee to Belvedere LRT
  • Klarvatten to Stadium LRT

I think that Express Lines could be the precursor to BRT. A route like 137 Avenue would probably never be an LRT route because it’s low density and a crosstown route, but it does cross one (ultimately two) LRT routes and at least four key arterial roads.

The way this survey tiptoes around the term 'BRT', presumably to avoid political noise relating to the BRT debate for VLW, is something to behold. I kinda hate that we have to be so choosy with words to discuss something as effective as BRT. I look at these plans and they look great! I wish they were dreaming bigger, especially in areas like the SW, which are growing fast, need better transit, and have wide road ROWs where dedicated lanes could be added easily to provide very high quality service. I just wish the discussion around transit in Edmonton as a whole had the maturity to discuss BRT as a viable option without the whole 'BuT WHy NoT MAkE thE LRT a BRt?!' noise. it shouldn't be one or the other, but both. everywhere. ideally.

Back