News   Apr 03, 2020
 8K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 9.1K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3K     0 

Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) in Edmonton

I don't think any of us know when there will be funding for the Metro Line NW extension. If there is BRT along 97 Street, it will be a popular route.

Metro Line LRT still wins hands down.

I am worried that any new BRT to Castle Downs could undermine future LRT. Thoughts?
Probably. That bridge will cost more than a Valley Line Spur that would serve all of 124th Street. I'd rather see expansion in the central areas of the city unless the feds/province step up big time with funding.

Regarding the planned B6 Ambleside-UofA BRT route: I was hoping that such a route might have a station at 53 avenue in order to capture ridership from the northern part of Riverbend. But looking at the Terwillegar-Whitemud interchange construction plans, there will only be a bus-only lane from 53 avenue to Terwillegar Drive southbound. Buses going northbound from Terwillegar Drive won’t be able to access 53rd Ave due to the way the interchange is set up (Terwillegar entrance ramp going onto the Whitemud is just after the 53rd Ave exit). So I suppose this route will bypass 53rd Ave going northbound, but will take the 53rd Ave exit southbound in order to use the bus-only lane onto Terwillegar.

Not the end of the world because the 703 bus is already unimpeded by traffic from 53rd Ave to South Campus (the only time it isn’t in a bus lane is during the short segment on the Whitemud, and that segment is an entry/exit lane which doesn’t back up in my experience). And the stops between 53rd Ave and South Campus are seldom used, so the 703 is already pretty "express" on this segment. But the 703 bus can be delayed sometimes due to traffic earlier on the route on Riverbend Road. I would welcome the conversion of the northbound parking lane on Riverbend Road into a bus lane.

With Calgary's Green Line in chaos - the vibe seems to feel like BRT will be the only feasible way forward with this government (if at all).

The Metro Line alignment should've never directly crossed the CN yards, so foolish. It should've always gone up either 97 St. or 127 St. where the yards narrow considerably, as that crossing would likely cost $250 - $500 million alone now.
A train up either of those main arterial roads would cause havoc on the road system. Don't think either of those would be a legitimate option.

A train up either of those main arterial roads would cause havoc on the road system. Don't think either of those would be a legitimate option.
Agreed I hate to think how one would navigate the train through that traffic. Many tunnels and new bridges to avoid conflicts

I am worried that any new BRT to Castle Downs could undermine future LRT. Thoughts?
I'm not sure I understand why it could undermine the LRT.

My thought was that a good BRT implementation could potentially spur transit ridership in general leading to more public desire for LRT.

I think generally I'd rather have good transit in progress than great transit continually 10+ years away, especially with Calgary's green line debacle souring provincial waters.

Back