News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Arlington Site | ?m | 33s | Kota Contracting | Der+Associates

in some areas either of both of those might make some things easier but using that as an excuse to do nothing is a cop out.

the city is able to enact zoning and land use criteria without a big city charter or changes to the mga and they have the ability to enforce those criteria. they simply need to be prepared to grow up and act like a big city we are charter notwithstanding.

how about simply enacting a bylaw that says that "any undeveloped vacant lot facing a public roadway shall be graded such that no portion of the lot shall vary more than 18" above or below municipal grades at the property line and all sides of an undeveloped vacant lot facing a street or a lane shall have a minimum landscaped setback of 7.5 metres which shall include a minimum of one deciduous boulevard tree with a minimum caliper size of 15 cm every 7.5 metres..."

if the city can enforce grading and noxious weed bylaws etc. on more than 200,000 single family lots in edmonton, surely they could enforce something like this.

Agreed, and having bylaws that layout minimum standards that positively impact the community for hoarding, fencing, and street access similar to how Edgar approached this on the MacLaren would be a positive step for lot developments in this city. Part 2 of this is actually following through with timely and effective enforcement, something the city obviously has not done in several instances.

in some areas either of both of those might make some things easier but using that as an excuse to do nothing is a cop out.

the city is able to enact zoning and land use criteria without a big city charter or changes to the mga and they have the ability to enforce those criteria. they simply need to be prepared to grow up and act like the big city we are charter notwithstanding.

how about simply enacting a bylaw that says that "any undeveloped vacant lot facing a public roadway shall be graded such that no portion of the lot shall vary more than 18" above or below municipal grades at the property line and all sides of an undeveloped vacant lot facing a street or a lane shall have a minimum landscaped setback of 7.5 metres which shall include a minimum of one deciduous boulevard tree with a minimum caliper size of 15 cm every 7.5 metres..."

if the city can enforce grading and noxious weed bylaws etc. on more than 200,000 single family lots in edmonton, surely they could enforce something like this.

if they wanted to get really creative, the city could even insist that the boulevard trees and other landscaping elements be such that they would form the basis of an urban orchard using fruit trees and bushes and the plan would need to include raised gardening beds for vegetable and/or flower gardens.
Like I said... there is a Council Directive for the site that was started, never completed and never checked up on.

Absolutely. I've personally done it ~2109 times.

How it is permitted to be left like that astounds me. Weeds, dumping grounds, a pit, safety concerns, debris and litter...

Nobody cares or follows up.
Oh, I wouldn't bother with that. I think sometimes it is just a way to occupy citizens until they give up. The old fashioned contact councilors and the mayor is probably a better approach. If there is no adequate response, at least you know the problem is not with the bureaucracy.

We need to bring this up with mayoralty hopefuls Sohi, Watson and Krushell. Have them make promises what to do about the Arlington. Whoever is new mayor, hold their feet to the fire on the promises made. Also need to do likewise with Scott McKeen's replacement and other new councilors.

Yes, an election is a good time to get the attention of candidates on lingering problems such as this.

I think for whatever reasons the last council was sometimes timid or not very creative in dealing with issues like this. Unfortunately, a few problems properties can really undermine the whole area. As was already pointed out, they have more power than they perhaps realize.

Many owners keep their property in reasonable condition, but there is always the few that rules and enforcement are needed for.

Funny/not funny this had been brought up. I happened to drive by the site the other day and commented that after all these years nothing has been done.

Or, and broken record level of times, ENFORCE the Council order to 'level, sod and make safe this site' from ~2013.
Yes, exactly. It would could actually look quite decent if that was done and improve the area considerably.

Sorry, penalties are not going to work here. I suspect the owner is like the guy who has a big collection of traffic tickets on his dash already. He will ignore another one.

The father is the principle owner since as long as I can remember during the 90s. I recalled 'W5' did a coverage on him for cheating renters of their deposits and other factors around 1991/92ish.

ACCIDENTAL FIRE...*NOT* IMO.

It might have been 'The Fifth Estates' but definitely one of those once weekly national investigative news programming.

Back