News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Arlington Site | ?m | 33s | Kota Contracting | Der+Associates

arlington 2.jpg

It's been about 16 years since The Arlingon fire and it's stayed that way since then, which is completely unacceptable. There is a municipal election coming up - I want to ask Sohi, Watson and Krushell if their platforms will address derelict sites such as the Arlington (plus the Tower 101 and Emerald sites).

It's been about 16 years since The Arlingon fire and it's stayed that way since then, which is completely unacceptable. There is a municipal election coming up - I want to ask Sohi, Watson and Krushell if their platforms will address derelict sites such as the Arlington (plus the Tower 101 and Emerald sites).

You should really ask Kenney. They are the ones who scuttled the City Charters that would have actually allowed cities like Edmonton to do something meaningful about sites like this.

I know very little about the Municipal Government Act, existing bylaws and the scuttled Charters, etc., but the powers that the CoE currently has over developers/properties like this are obviously next to nothing, and developers fully understand this. (or the CoE is doing nothing to exercise those powers). These "developers" are saving a ton of money on property taxes, insurance costs, building maintenance, security costs and utilities (cost of the commodities themselves (esp natural gas for heat) plus significant costs related to the fixed/delivery charges for power, gas and water) by sitting with an empty site rather than an empty building. I fear that we are going to be stuck with many of these derelict sites unless something significant changes in the near future (increase in CoE powers, significant upturn in the market, sale of property to a motived buyer).

Back