News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Arc Smart Fare System

Debit/credit right at the tap machine without having to worry about vending machines would be good. It's good they have an Arc machine at the airport but what if they're somewhere that doesn't have one? Not everyone wants to pay $6 to get a card, even if they have to spend more paying the cash fare, although maybe there can be signage indicating that it takes just 8 trips to recoup that initial $6 cost.
In Vancouver you have to pay for a Compass card and same in the GTA with Presto, so I think people are just used to paying an upfront small cost for a card that you can technically keep forever. I have both a Compass and Presto which I paid for and use them whenever I visit either region.

What's the theory behind letting people on in the front and back?

My experience in other countries is that there's enough peer pressure for most people to still tap even if they alight from a rear door.
I think making sure the bus driver essentially "screens" everyone coming in has some pretty positive safety implications.

Wow. This is fabulous! First city in Alberta with transit tap cards. Having this system will make a huge difference for tourism and in the crucial visitor perception for the city.
Not by a long shot.
Lethbridge, Medicine Hat, Red Deer and Grande Prairie all use tap cards. That left Fort Murray, the Edmonton Region and Calgary region without them.

I was expecting the banner in Corona, but not an ad on my BBC app lol. It's nice they're getting the word out, hopefully the launch goes well and first-time users want to stick with it.

Screenshot_20221118-074815_BBC News.jpg 20221116_083619.jpg 20221116_083708.jpg

Not by a long shot.
Lethbridge, Medicine Hat, Red Deer and Grande Prairie all use tap cards. That left Fort Murray, the Edmonton Region and Calgary region without them.
Okay, first major city in Alberta. Plus first regional integration (to the best of my knowledge). Correct me if I'm wrong, but still a great achievement!!

Okay, first major city in Alberta. Plus first regional integration (to the best of my knowledge). Correct me if I'm wrong, but still a great achievement!!
The regional thing is especially nice since it means smaller municipalities can benefit from having Edmonton's resources when developing it. None of these other card systems have fare vending machines, you can't order their cards online and get them delivered, and one system even has the cards expire every 1-5 years (depending on your fare group) and makes you get a new one from one specific city building. Our website looks pretty good in comparison, and even people in Spruce Grove and Beaumont are getting a really flashy system; if they developed smart fare on their own, it'd likely turn out more similar to the other card systems in AB.

The regional thing is especially nice since it means smaller municipalities can benefit from having Edmonton's resources when developing it. None of these other card systems have fare vending machines, you can't order their cards online and get them delivered, and one system even has the cards expire every 1-5 years (depending on your fare group) and makes you get a new one from one specific city building. Our website looks pretty good in comparison, and even people in Spruce Grove and Beaumont are getting a really flashy system; if they developed smart fare on their own, it'd likely turn out more similar to the other card systems in AB.
Yes, I'm quite sure that the other agencies are using pretty basic commercial off the shelf technology while Edmonton is a lot more custom (Arc Machines I recall were a brand new design that was created from scratch, rather than something Vix already had available).
What I think could be really useful is a Province-wide standard. At the very least, it would be neat if Calgary adopted Arc.

Bow Valley also has smart cards, but, more limited like the smaller agencies around Alberta.

Anyone have insight on timelines for digital wallets? I only carry 2 cards (ID & credit) on the back of my phone and everything else is phone/watch. It would be super helpful for these to be on phone wallets.

And is credit card/debit tap on the horizon soon? or another 3 years? For tourists/visitors, I think this is key, and is quickly becoming the norm in most global cities

Anyone have insight on timelines for digital wallets? I only carry 2 cards (ID & credit) on the back of my phone and everything else is phone/watch. It would be super helpful for these to be on phone wallets.

And is credit card/debit tap on the horizon soon? or another 3 years? For tourists/visitors, I think this is key, and is quickly becoming the norm in most global cities
ETS has said they are planning on doing credit card tap (which would be the same time as digital wallets) after this rolls out to all users (youth, discounted users, etc), so it sounds like all the physical tech is up to snuff.

Back