News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Arc Smart Fare System

Where are they giving out the cards? I want to grab one, but, in three trips each to the Coliseum and Churchill stations, I have yet to see anyone giving them out.
They were at Century Park and Southgate yesterday, Belvedere and Clareview today. So they'll probably be at Coliseum/downtown soon.

Reactions: rmp
Judging by the number of people disinterested in grabbing a free Arc card, there might be an uphill battle for adoption.

Would cancelling tickets and passes in the near future help Arc card adoption or hurt transit ridership?
Maybe I missed it, but I wish ETS would tell us where they're giving out free cards. I went to Corona on Monday and there was no sign of them and the security had no idea either.

Just my anecdotal observation at Clareview Station. There were a couple of people grabbing a free card but dozens just walked on by. I think people should just grab a card now even if they're not comfortable with using it yet.

But I looked into Compass Card roll out in Vancouver and this was the timeline:
  • 2013 - Beta testing started
  • Spring 2015 - Limited public release to West Coast Express commuters which immediately saw their old fare and pass system discontinued (West Coast Express fares work on bus, Seabus, and Skytrain, but not the other way around. With 12,000 trips a day, it was an easy group to roll out to.).
  • Summer 2015 - Compass U-Pass issued to post secondary students for the new school year.
  • October 2015 - Full public release. The new fare gates at Skytrain and Seabus stations remained opened.
  • January 2016 - They stopped selling physical monthly passes and faresaver tickets.
  • June 2016 - Fare gates at Skytrain and Seabus officially closed without a valid Compass card or ticket.
So this Young Padawan (me) needs patience.

Translink never wanted turnstiles stating that the $100 million dollar cost to install them at 49 stations made no sense with the estimated $5-9 million estimated lost to fare evaders each year. But they were forced to or risk losing funding. The federal government paid $40 million and BC government paid $30 million so Translink was on the hook for $30 million for the gates plus $70 million for the smart fare card when all was said and done.

We could have put fare gates at Capital and Metro Line stations but I think it will be difficult to implement on Valley Line.
There’s also likely just 10ish stations that could most benefit from this, but others where it’s not an issue as much (mckernan for example likely doesn’t need them).

More for security and safety than for fare evasion

Maybe I missed it, but I wish ETS would tell us where they're giving out free cards. I went to Corona on Monday and there was no sign of them and the security had no idea either.

I've taken the LRT twice, but just not on Monday. Maybe it was a one day thing, because I haven't seen any free cards being given away.

I would get one of those if I could. However, I do not want to pay an additional fee to get one. In that case, I will just stick with what I am using now.

Edmonton Transit Service - ETS November 23, 2022 1:17 PM Arc outreach teams are handing out complimentary Arc cards during the afternoon commute until 4 p.m. at the following transit stations: West Edmonton Mall, Mill Woods and Century Park. Look out for our orange vests and get your Arc card today! Quantities are limited.

Edmonton Transit Service - ETS November 23, 2022 1:17 PM Arc outreach teams are handing out complimentary Arc cards during the afternoon commute until 4 p.m. at the following transit stations: West Edmonton Mall, Mill Woods and Century Park. Look out for our orange vests and get your Arc card today! Quantities are limited.
Oh, that explains it. I don't travel to those three stations.

Finally.

Arc outreach teams are handing out complimentary Arc cards this morning at the following transit stations: West Edmonton Mall, Mill Woods & Century Park. In the afternoon, look for the orange vests at Lewis Farms, Northgate & Southgate. Card quantities are limited.
Load your card and learn more at www.myArc.ca
#LoadTapGo #ArcTransit #YEGTransit

Edmonton Transit is doing a poor job announcing where the Arc Card Street Team is going to be each morning. Yesterday was the first day they announced anything.
I hope they are doing this for a while, like at least several weeks because so far I have totally missed it. I don't take transit at that time in the afternoon, but generally in the mornings.

Look for the orange vests of Arc outreach team members giving complimentary Arc cards out at the following transit stations: Eaux Claires, Clareview & Westmount from 11-3 p.m. & at West Edmonton Mall, Century Park & Mill Woods from 1-7 p.m. (while quantities last)

Well I have a feeling that many don't actually realize what the cards are for.
I got mine today at Millwoods.
I had an extra one, so I offered it to two people on the bus. The first one immediately said no, and I wonder if he thought it was some sort of scam (I made sure to emphasize the word free a few times though). The second understood what it was after a little explanation, and once he confirmed that it's reloadable, he accepted it. Just anecdotes, but I think you're right about that lack of understanding.

Back