News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Arc Smart Fare System

Has there been any talk about doing zones? Outside of henday busers should have to pay more than central edmonton users
With the EMTSC being a thing, I'm not sure how fares will look in the next few years. By the end of next year, ETS (local service) will be the only municipal transit service operated separately by any of the EMTSC members. ETS regional service, and every other municipal transit agency, will be absorbed. By the end of 2026, ETS local service, including the LRT, could be added on to that. So let's say that it's January 1 2023, and we have three transit agencies in the region: The EMTSC, ETS, and Strathcona Transit (because Sherwood Park is full of NIMBYers). The EMTSC will decide the fare levels for its entire system, and let's say that ETS and the EMTSC use smart fare systems that are linked up just like the separate transit agencies were planning on doing anyways. How do you think fares should be structured accordingly?

With the EMTSC being a thing, I'm not sure how fares will look in the next few years. By the end of next year, ETS (local service) will be the only municipal transit service operated separately by any of the EMTSC members. ETS regional service, and every other municipal transit agency, will be absorbed. By the end of 2026, ETS local service, including the LRT, could be added on to that. So let's say that it's January 1 2023, and we have three transit agencies in the region: The EMTSC, ETS, and Strathcona Transit (because Sherwood Park is full of NIMBYers). The EMTSC will decide the fare levels for its entire system, and let's say that ETS and the EMTSC use smart fare systems that are linked up just like the separate transit agencies were planning on doing anyways. How do you think fares should be structured accordingly?
Not so much NIMBYs more like cherry pickers.

If they all used the same zone maps and had fares based on 1, 2, and 3 zone rides, that could maybe work?

Zone 1, 156st, yellowhead, 75 street, whitemud.
Zone 2, inside henday
Zone 3, outside henday

Make it $2 in a zone, $3 for 2 zones, $4 for 3 zones.

Great way to encourage living closer to where you work also.

This is Vancouver's
ct_zone_map.png

And london's
4e067b7fe4369bf7b4d6d7242b369e41.jpg

Jon Dziadyk is the councilor for ward 3 which is in the far north end, so of course his constituents are gonna have some concerns about the new network and not having as much service coverage. I have no idea why he's bringing up these concerns now, 18 days before the network launches when there was literal years of consultation with communities. Is it just foolishness? Arrogance? Wanting some brownie points before the municipal election? Who knows...

Not to derail the thread here, but some gaps here and there with community routes, the old 16 and 163 routes seemed to reduce walking times to a bus stop. At least the busses i used to ride. Increased number of transfers as well. Imo Ward 4 is most affected, there is no express service east of 66 street to the Henday that go to Clareview transit station??? Kinda odd. Even an express route from Eaux Clair to Clareview TC down 153rd Avenue, woulda been helpful. It's all the same/similar long winding community routes. These are some issues I brought up during the engagement phase, but who knows what happened to that lol. Interestingly, they did change some things around in the Castledowns area, where I currently live.

The main issue with these new routes is that it doesn't seem to take into account that these suburbs have absolute crap walking connections to bus stops, but ultimately the suburbs gonna suburb lol. They are designed for cars and leisurely walking in large circles (aka ring roads). I'm not entirely sure why that section of the city was neglected so hard, lack of engagement???

Also ain't nobody gonna care about On-Demand Transit, Regional Transit or the SmartPass if their baseline transit options are trash lol. City doing a big disservice to that area.

Not to derail the thread here, but some gaps here and there with community routes, the old 16 and 163 routes seemed to reduce walking times to a bus stop. At least the busses i used to ride. Increased number of transfers as well. Imo Ward 4 is most affected, there is no express service east of 66 street to the Henday that go to Clareview transit station??? Kinda odd. Even an express route from Eaux Clair to Clareview TC down 153rd Avenue, woulda been helpful. It's all the same/similar long winding community routes. These are some issues I brought up during the engagement phase, but who knows what happened to that lol. Interestingly, they did change some things around in the Castledowns area, where I currently live.

The main issue with these new routes is that it doesn't seem to take into account that these suburbs have absolute crap walking connections to bus stops, but ultimately the suburbs gonna suburb lol. They are designed for cars and leisurely walking in large circles (aka ring roads). I'm not entirely sure why that section of the city was neglected so hard, lack of engagement???

Also ain't nobody gonna care about On-Demand Transit, Regional Transit or the SmartPass if their baseline transit options are trash lol. City doing a big disservice to that area.
After the initial year or two of the network the messaging is that things will be tweaked where needed, possibly including the areas you mentioned here.

On the whole suburb thing, it really is disappointing how little (in most neighborhoods) attention was paid to the walking/transit/active transportation crowd in their overall designs. I don't need to say it to you guys, but obviously people who use these modes to get around are valid in our society (and are also a great potential market to cater to in new neighborhoods). Having extremely car-oriented low-density development within the boundaries of a large city like Edmonton is wrong on so many levels.

If they all used the same zone maps and had fares based on 1, 2, and 3 zone rides, that could maybe work?

Zone 1, 156st, yellowhead, 75 street, whitemud.
Zone 2, inside henday
Zone 3, outside henday

Make it $2 in a zone, $3 for 2 zones, $4 for 3 zones.

Great way to encourage living closer to where you work also.
I don’t think zones are being considered, but distance-based fares are. https://www.edmonton.ca/projects_plans/transit/new-transit-fare-options.aspx

Back