News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Arc Smart Fare System

@westcoastjos Well... I'm sorry to hear that you've had a bad experience with the system, but when you put things into perspective the delays and issues start to make more sense. The network is shabby because (A) the routes and capacities are outdated and when you compound that with the fact that (B) all bus systems have certain imperfections and flaws, whether it be due to city planning, environmental conditions, etc. then it can be understood why the service here isn't optimal. However, when you take into account the Bus Network Redesign which will now value higher capacity and faster travel (along with more direct routes) AND the LRT expansion, I'm actually very hopeful for the future of ETS and am looking forward to being an avid and satisfied user of it in the near future!
It will take a period of sustained and demonstrated improvement before ETS win back myself and others to the bus system.

so it looks like the delay is the installers can't cross the border from the US, meaning they can't come here and do the work? Is that the only holdup? i don't understand what the big issue is? no one in Canada can do this?
Others likely could, but it is probably a proprietary system and the city is probably under contractual obligation with the company. I doubt they can break the contract easily.

I don't know about you guys, but having a contract with a large municipality to carry out a project this big seems like a pretty essential reason to cross the border. It isn't like the contractors are going for a vacation, this is actual important work!

I don't know about you guys, but having a contract with a large municipality to carry out a project this big seems like a pretty essential reason to cross the border. It isn't like the contractors are going for a vacation, this is actual important work!
Smart cards aren't supporting critical infrastructure. They are incremental improvements at best. Full rules for cross border travel here:

Took a 7 and a 128 bus today, both had the smart card hardware installed (1 at the front door, 2 at the rear door). First time I've seen it.
20200911_182843.jpg

Smart cards aren't supporting critical infrastructure. They are incremental improvements at best. Full rules for cross border travel here:

I understand that the rules say otherwise, and I guess should clarify that I was speaking more out my general frustration with this than out of a super logical position. there's just something about this delay situation that grinds my gears is all.

After reading that latest article I do wonder bout the reasons for not hiring a Canadian company. Also though, how many techs would they need to have here to install the test system.
One other thing too though, he article said they will conduct more lab testing to ensure the system will properly work, is this not a proven system already or is ETS trying out an unproven system from a company that says they can deliver a functioning product? Hmmm where have I heard that similar storyline and was that story a success for ETS? 🙄

Back