News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.7K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Alberta Politics

It's in the interview here. She talks about getting rid of consumer carbon pricing in Alberta, which as you point out is not something in the provinces control. She then goes on to talk about implementing industrial carbon pricing, which is something Alberta already does. Either she has a very poor understanding of how things actually work or she is feeding into misconceptions to score political points, both of which I find gross.

It's in the interview here. She talks about getting rid of consumer carbon pricing in Alberta, which as you point out is not something in the provinces control. She then goes on to talk about implementing industrial carbon pricing, which is something Alberta already does. Either she has a very poor understanding of how things actually work or she is feeding into misconceptions to score political points, both of which I find gross.

It was Ryan J who inaccurately used the term Alberta consumer carbon tax, not Rakhi.

And maybe because I heard her talk about this live, but we obviously have a different interpretation about what she said and her knowledge on this issue.

She references industrial carbon pricing - she's not suggesting it's a new thing. She said that is where the focus needs to continue to be - industrial.

Last edited:
Can you clarify what exactly she (or whoever) means with the whole focus needs to continue to be on industrial rather than consumer? How does that work when carbon pricing needs to be approved at a federal level, which requires consumer level pricing of carbon output. Is the idea charge more on industrial to provide more subsidies to cover individual consumers?

Can you clarify what exactly she (or whoever) means with the whole focus needs to continue to be on industrial rather than consumer? How does that work when carbon pricing needs to be approved at a federal level, which requires consumer level pricing of carbon output. Is the idea charge more on industrial to provide more subsidies to cover individual consumers?

I don't think she (Rakhi) is saying the 'whole' focus should be on industry at all - although many people don't think enough is. Was that your impression of what she said in her statement?

I think it's really difficult to communicate ideas etc via tweets and someone's interpretation of what was said that then starts a whole chain of other grievances etc etc

I'm sure, in terms of Rakhi, we will be hearing more and hopefully people who are interested will be able to hear it more directly from her rather than my interpretation, haha, as she will be required to explain further as the campaign goes along.

This should clarify things if people have 3 minutes to hear directly from Rakhi on this issue of consumer carbon tax.
She is wanting to start conversation about alternatives like incentives, investments, subsidies etc.

Thanks that makes way more sense 👍 agreed, too much nuance lost in reductionist tweets

Edmonton

$887 million over three years for Edmonton LRT projects

$158 million in 2024–25 in Local Government Fiscal Framework funding to support municipal priorities

$145 million for Yellowhead Trail upgrades to modify three intersections and build new collector roads

$124 million to expand Terwillegar Drive to alleviate traffic congestion and add bus and pedestrian lanes

$75 million over three years for MacEwan University Business School to expand capacity by
5,000 students in high-demand economic sectors

$43 million planning funding for the trades and technology learning facility at NAIT

$20 million over the next three years, including $17 million in new funding, to continue planning for a
standalone Stollery Children’s Hospital

$8.5 million for the expansion and renovation of the Winspear Centre

$69 million over three years for the Gene Zwozdesky Centre at Norwood

$113 million over three years for the Good Samaritan Society Continuing Care Centre

$58 million over three years for the University of Alberta Hospital Brain Centre—Neurosciences Intensive
Care Unit

$31 million over three years for the Ray Gibbon Drive Upgrade Project

$8 million over three years for upgrades at 50th Street

Capture.PNG
Capture2.PNG

$300M for Danni's beloved fLamers arena. Sports has officially become more important than hospitals.

Spelling error? Meant to say Premier’s City? Oil fan no longer Ian? Breathing too much of that YYC suburbs air…..

The reviews of the recent provincial budget are in and they are not so great. I don't think the budget does a good job on saving, cutting taxes or spending.

I find this to be a good analysis of the shortcomings particularly of the hype just in advance of the recent provincial budget.

I wonder what sacrifices the well paid senior level politicians, cabinet ministers, deputy ministers and high level officials are making.

As usual it seems to be our government asking lower level staff and those who rely on government services to make sacrifices.

If only there were billions in investment waiting in the wings for renewable energy projects. It's just so hard to get those off the ground, though, what with all of the permitting and such.

But hey...and I know this is a bit out there...what if we had a specific person in government, maybe even a cabinet position, who is responsible for lowering those barriers to entry. A "Minister of Red Tape Reduction" if you will.

It's wild, but maybe it would offset some of the hardships wrought by the budget.

^
Dale Nally has been the Minister of Service Alberta and Red Tape Reduction since October 2022. Prior to that he was Associate Minister of Natural Gas and Electricity.

Who is the Minister for Increasing Red Tape? Or is that a responsibility shared by all cabinet ministers and the premier.

The current government seems quite good at increasing red tape when they want to make something more difficult.

So I would say so far they have increased red tape as much as or even more than they have reduced it.

Back