News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8.1K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.7K     0 

Alberta Politics

I can't believe the province doesn't listen to what it's own health experts say in terms of their approach to this issue.

"Overdoses requiring an ambulance have hit a new high for the second week in a row in Alberta, and an advocate is pushing for changes to the province’s recovery-centred model of addiction treatment amid what he calls an “unmitigated disaster.”

And we've got an $11B surplus and we still underfund homelessness, too, which is just going to cost more in the long run in terms of money and people's lives/quality of life. Businesses, communities etc all feeling the effects.

I'm not one for conventional wisdom when it comes to politics and I realize rigorous analysis went out of style a long time ago in our now bare bones, struggling mainstream media.

Braid might have a point, but his weak ending "Somewhere in the large NDP caucus there may be a leader who can do all that.", kind of refutes the whole argument he is trying to make here.

Until whoever that "someone" is becomes clearer I don't think there will be a change.

If there is a change in election boundaries, I think Edmonton and Calgary will get more legislature seats.

If there is a change in election boundaries, I think Edmonton and Calgary will get more legislature seats.
Good point. While rural Alberta has dominated Alberta politics for many decades, I feel we are very close to the tipping point where it will not anymore.

When that happens, that will also change the political calculations of who is electable considerably.

It also used to be the case that Sherwood Park and St. Albert were hardcore conservative communities, partly because of the split between NDP and Liberal. Even though the UCP won some of these seats, they were by 55-45 or 60-40 margins.

I want to see a Fort McMurray riding separated from the Wood Buffalo riding. I find it a bit amusing that the NDP always has a head start with the Fort Mac votes until the UCP jumps ahead with the win based on the rural votes.

The majority of First Nations also vote NDP.

I agree, there should be a more pronounced representation between urban and rural constituencies, where possible. Keep gerrymandering to a minimum.

Notley was seen as the more trustworthy candidate by the majority of Albertans, but inertia is a greater force than reason in this province. Braid's chief complaint is that there is not enough appeasement towards an untrustworthy government, and he ignores the gains that have given the province a legitimate alternative for the first time, possibly, ever. Smooth-brained clickbait.

I am getting quite annoyed that the NDP are calling themselves the Opposition. According to Westminster convention, they are the Government-in-Waiting and members are Ministers in Waiting. How intimidating would it be for Rachel Notley to start calling herself the Premier in Waiting!

^
In Canada “The party with the most elected candidates forms the government. Its leader becomes prime minister. The leader of the party that wins the second greatest number of seats becomes the leader of the Opposition; their party becomes the Official Opposition or His Majesty’s Loyal Opposition.”

i’m not sure that “government in waiting” is appropriate where the governing party holds a majority of the seats and a change can only occur through an election but perhaps when government is formed by a minority party that could be changed by a realignment of minority interests within the current elected members…

Back