News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Alberta Politics

That nuclear letter went pretty nuclear. Started on one topic, shifted to another, then ended up in totally different dimension.

Mark Carney, who the federal Liberals have been courting for a long time, would be someone I would like to see as PM. This was interview from the weekend.

He comments on Alberta situation with UCP as well as other current issues - inflation/interest rates/climate change.

Carney, like Freeland can claim Alberta roots, for what it is worth and not having a PM named Trudeau would probably also give the Federal Liberals a 5% to 10% boost in Alberta. Not sure if this would really matter in other parts of Canada outside the west though.

Carney doesn't have any real political experience and sounds a bit glib to me. He seems like Paul Martin without as much experience and even more vocal about climate change than Trudeau, so I have a feeling any initial appeal might rub off quickly.

so our premier has tweeted that she has been banned from facebook “for a few days” although she doesn’t say why.

she does, however, complain in her tweet about how “big tech and government censorship is becoming a danger to free speech around the world”.

and then she cc’d her tweet to @elonmusk. which would make it a tweet from big government to big tech would it not???

so our premier has tweeted that she has been banned from facebook “for a few days” although she doesn’t say why.

she does, however, complain in her tweet about how “big tech and government censorship is becoming a danger to free speech around the world”.

and then she cc’d her tweet to @elonmusk. which would make it a tweet from big government to big tech would it not???

Maybe its Trudeau's fault, that is one of her go to excuses for anything bad.

Yes, I see the point about big tech and government censorship, although she probably didn't intend for it to be about herself.

So perhaps much like a broken watch, while she is generally not that useful or accurate, occasionally she is right.

“She’s calling it censorship and the irony of that is just how many Albertans she has blocked from her Twitter account. I find that an interesting parallel, where she’s complaining about being banned from Facebook while she has blocked so many Albertans from Twitter,” he said. “The whole thing is quite curious. And it sounds like we’re drifting in towards American-style culture wars.”

and then there’s this cute little restaurant for sale in high river..

the same one our premier was washing dishes in the other today and tweeting her image as just another every day working lady.

and silly me, i always thought senior elected officials were supposed to be independent of private business interests and were supposed to use blind trusts for those investments they haven’t disposed of…

How many ways can one person demonstrate she doesn’t understand how our system is supposed to work?

Last edited:
and then there’s this cute little restaurant for sale in high river..

the same one our premier was washing dishes in the other today and tweeting her image as just another every day working lady.

and silly me, i always thought senior elected officials were supposed to be independent of private business interests and were supposed to use blind trusts for those investments they haven’t disposed of…

How many ways can one person demonstrate she doesn’t understand how our system is supposed to work?

Not sure why you're upset. She's selling the restaurant. She's getting out of private business and focusing on being a "senior elected official."

If the NDP hadn't run such a crappy campaign, Notley would be sitting in the premier's office right now and Smith would probably have hung onto the restaurant (since she almost certainly would have been tossed overboard by her UCP caucus). You can't blame her for hedging her bets.

There are plenty of communities across Alberta in which "senior elected officials" own businesses and have interests outside politics. A lot of mayors and reeves, for example, are part-time and have day jobs. There are rules to ensure they don't cast votes or get involved in issues that would directly affect their own interests, but they aren't disqualified from holding office just because they happen to own a coffee shop or a hardware store.

Not sure why you're upset. She's selling the restaurant. She's getting out of private business and focusing on being a "senior elected official."

If the NDP hadn't run such a crappy campaign, Notley would be sitting in the premier's office right now and Smith would probably have hung onto the restaurant (since she almost certainly would have been tossed overboard by her UCP caucus). You can't blame her for hedging her bets.

There are plenty of communities across Alberta in which "senior elected officials" own businesses and have interests outside politics. A lot of mayors and reeves, for example, are part-time and have day jobs. There are rules to ensure they don't cast votes or get involved in issues that would directly affect their own interests, but they aren't disqualified from holding office just because they happen to own a coffee shop or a hardware store.
i’m not upset, I’m sad…

i have good friends who have served as elected officials at all levels of government and know the difference between party time reeves and senior government positions.

i have one friend who ran for the ucp in this election who took a leave and resigned from all of his board positions - including charity boards - so there wouldn’t be even a perception of conflict of interest and this was just to run! danielle has been premier since last october and an elected member of the legislature since last november. she has had more than enough time to get her house in order.

and to be clear, i don’t necessarily have an issue with her “helping in the kitchen in an emergency”. i do have an issue with her business profiting from that financially while she profits from that politically in something that looks more like an orchestrated photo op meant to achieve both of those objectives and certainly been handled like that even if it wasn’t orchestrated.

ps. i agree that the ndp campaign was not as good as it should have been in a number of areas. i disagree that danielle was just hedging her bets here - that ship sailed last fall when she won. you might hedge your bets until you win the first time, not the second or third or fourth.

and, in other news, it would seem that danielle - and/or those people that she allows to post on her page as if they are danielle - appear to have “misspoken” yet again. :(

and, in other news, it would seem that danielle - and/or those people that she allows to post on her page as if they are danielle - appear to have “misspoken” yet again. :(
It would seem so, at best she is confused about being banned. You just know after a bit more of this Alberta will become even more of a national laughingstock.

UCP playbook
IMG_0343.jpeg

Back