News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Alberta Politics

The UCP governement has been an absolute disaster from their attempt to destroy parkland for Australian mining to the multi-billion dollar botching of the Keystone XL project and the decimation of education and healthcare (In the middle of a pandemic!!). One would think that most Albertans would see that the UCP experiment has been a failure on all counts. However I don't think we can ever underestimate the power of just voting Conservative without thinking or doing any research because that's what they've always done. Now don't get me wrong the NDP isn't perfect but they sure as hell are better than the alternative. Hopefully we can right the ship and get back on track before Jason can grift us even more for the benefit of his friends in the insurance and oil industries.

I'm inclined to agree with @Platinum107 that the Alberta Party should try to forge themselves a place comfortably in the centre, and perhaps that could be made easier by merging with the moribund Liberals. The biggest issue I can see is that the provincial NDP aren't actually very far left, at least when compared with their federal counterparts. It would take some clever manoeuvring on the part of the Alberta Party to avoid their base abandoning them in favour of the "safer" NDP.

I'm usually very skeptical of the idea of voting for an opposition party simply out of spite, but I can say with full confidence that any of the other major provincial parties would form a better government than the UCP. At this point though, the NDP is the only credible opposition and we should do everything in our power to deliver them a firm majority in the next election.

15 of 26 cabinet positions prior to this shuffle were filled from Calgary constituencies. 6 of the 8 sworn in today are from Calgary constituencies. In the meantime, we have a provincial government that says "Edmonton doesn't understand us". Unfortunately, I think Edmonton understands them all too well - this is a government that has absolutely no desire to understand Edmonton. I'd be embarrassed to stand in front of Government House in Edmonton to make this particular announcement.

8 of the 9 MLAs in the region immediately around Edmonton are also UCP so saying Edmonton’s love MLA is in caucus so that’s all we deserve is no excuse. Klein may have been the right person for the job when he first got it but ultimately he was a terrible Premier from Edmonton’s perspective in his favouritism for Calgary. Kenney is worse - it’s not simply favouritism, it’s vicious and it’s mean. When you look at things like what is happening to the U of A, he seems to be prepared to sacrifice the whole province on that sacrificial altar he reserved for those who don’t agree with him. Or, more accurately, those he does not agree with or understand. It’s Kenney against the world whether you’re a Prime Minister or a nurse and this circling of the Calgary wagons to defend that just reinforces that.

Anyone can be appointed to cabinet you don’t have to be elected.

The governor-general appoints to the Cabinet persons chosen by the prime minister—John A. Macdonald once half-jokingly listed his occupation as cabinet maker; while there are no legal qualifications of the potential ministers, there are a number of conventions that are expected be followed. For instance, there is typically a minister from each province in Canada, ministers from visible minoritygroups, female ministers and, while the majority of those chosen to serve as ministers of the Crown are Members of Parliament, a Cabinet sometimes includes a senator, especially as a representative of a province or region where the governing party won few or no ridings. Efforts are further made to indulge interest groups that support the incumbent government and the party's internal politics must be appeased, with Cabinet positions sometimes being a reward for loyal party members.[citation needed]
If Kenney really wanted to balance the representation of ministers in his cabinet he could appoint his friend in Edmonton Mike Nickel. Or preferably someone more thoughtful just to demonstrate that he cares.

Anyone can be appointed to cabinet you don’t have to be elected.
The federal cabinet can draw on senators from time to time, but the provincial legislature does not have an upper house to draw from. Also, established constitutional convention requires ministers to be members of the legislature, and therefore accountable to it. That fact can result in the situation we find ourselves in, but it does stop "just anyone" from being made a minister. The best solution to the current lack of representation in the cabinet is a new government.

^
calgary’s gordon dirks as education minister and edmonton’s stephen mandel as health minister were both appointed to jim prentice’s cabinet without being elected mlas.

this isn’t to disagree with your best solution, just to point out that kenney had lots of options if he was interested. of course that would have meant fewer salary increases to calgary mlas that he’s trying to get alberta nurses to offset.

Huh, didn't know that. I have heard of the odd federal minister being appointed without first sitting in Parliament, but I believe the convention is that they must try to gain a seat as quickly as possible in a by-election. If Kenny wanted to go that route, he wouldn't have a safe seat in Edmonton (or very many other places) to give. Regardless, I'm not so sure anyone good would accept an invitation to become a UCP minister at this point. Not anyone this forum would like, anyway.

Quote of the day brought to you by the rickshaw guy and his dog.
2021-08-02 003.JPG

Last edited:
The UCP is showing to be more relentless in its pursuit of this 'war room' than in dealing with COVID, homelessness, opioid crisis etc etc

Haha unreal. The next election cannot come soon enough. But I guess you cant call an election if you cant find the Premier right?

1630521211238.png

Is it 2023 yet? Please someone save us.

I know it's dangerous to try and get into the head of the UCP and Kenny, but are they holding off on passports until after the federal election? Do federal PC's fear losing more support to People's Party of Canada in Alberta if we make the move before the election?

Passports are clearly happening so just don't know why they continue to drag their feet on so many things.

I know it's dangerous to try and get into the head of the UCP and Kenny, but are they holding off on passports until after the federal election? Do federal PC's fear losing more support to People's Party of Canada in Alberta if we make the move before the election?

Passports are clearly happening so just don't know why they continue to drag their feet on so many things.
Living out of country and fully vaccinated in Mexico with Pfizer 2 shots and a US Pfizer booster so with 3 shots I am awaiting Canada to release the Government of Canada vaccine app as my vaccination records will be going on it and I will be using Canada's vaccine app for my international travel not anything from the Banana Republic of Alberta thankfully.

Back