News   Apr 03, 2020
 8K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 9.1K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3K     0 

Alberta Politics

Smith is on a roll with these major announcements to her supporters.

Drayton Valley is like the new provincial capital - the centre of government business where policy is announced to a room full of supporters.

This one is about an Alberta police agency.

Last edited:
Sooo…

Hands up if you - or even if anyone you know - voted for this sh!t.
Well I didn't vote for it, mostly because I think party based democracy is a meme, but I did likely indirectly give them the idea for the policy.

Care to explain what part of introducing some competitive pressure to improve efficiency in healthcare is bad thing?

Smith is on a roll with these major announcements to her supporters.

Drayton Valley is like the new provincial capital - the centre of government business where policy is announced to a room full of supporters.

This one is about an Alberta police agency.

Lol... Yeah that one too. What's the problem?

Lol... Yeah that one too. What's the problem?

The public is learning more about these two initiatives from a reporter who attended a townhall meeting over a week ago on Aug. 17. That's a very poor way to announce policy directives.

The UCP and Premier Smith has established a poor relationship with with many hospital workers (doctors, nurses, support) as well as other key health stakeholders. Is this approach of fear and threats going to improve that relationship and increase the #of doctors we have? I can't imagine being in an environment like that.
We have troubling staffing issues. A man recently died several months after his cancer diagnosis and had never even seen an oncologist due to shortages.
Even Covenant Health has had to close departments in some of its hospitals for periods of time due to staffing issues.

I agree with you that I don't love party democracy in many respects and I find this particular government very heavily ideologically based in its decisions and is happy to hide info that is not supportive of its initiatives- such as the results of public survey on CPP, for one. They completely ignored the majority will of Edmonton and Calgary on municipal political parties.

This government just doesn't work well with so many of its partners in the province and even groups like the
Alberta Rural Munipalities Association, where their bread and butter support is, have outlined various concerns from inadequate funding, policing and well clean ups etc.

In terms of Danielle Smith, I don't trust or believe her many times. She distorts facts. Great communicator though.

Last edited:
This is a problem of having a government being led or pushed by the extremes of its own party. They start to pursue things most people don't want just to satisfy their own members.

Well I didn't vote for it, mostly because I think party based democracy is a meme, but I did likely indirectly give them the idea for the policy.

Care to explain what part of introducing some competitive pressure to improve efficiency in healthcare is bad thing?
I suppose it depends on your priorities but public healthcare isn't necessarily best served by "improved efficiency" as much as by the delivery of quality health care. If improved efficiency doesn't result in the latter - or indeed compromised delivery of the latter - then it's foolishness personified.

If the goal is the provision of quality health care, perhaps less "introducing fear" and more listening to doctors and nurses and other health care providers is a better path? At this point in time, 650,000 Albertans don't even have a GP - the earliest and most efficient point in delivering quality health care. That's only going to get worse as Alberta experiences national and internation migration numbers at the fastest rate the province has ever had and none of them bring their own doctors or nursed or emergency rooms or hospitals with them...

Back