News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.7K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Alberta Avenue (118 Ave)

So -- in the foregoing two posts we have electric mini-buses and LSM-driven electric rail cars. In both instances we can use solar roofs to augment power to on-board batteries -- batteries that in the case of the rail cars can be remotely recharged at every stop from windings buried 3-inches below grade. Both systems would be remotely controlled from a central monitoring station located somewhere along the avenue in a second-storey office. Avenue sidewalks would be able to expand in width by about 2/3 of a lane-width, creating broad pedestrian paths that could have a large variety of "street furniture" positioned thereon. In the Old West replication I would envision these walkways being composed of larch (tamarack) cross-laminated timber structures -- a wood that would weather to a soft tan patina. Into that surface we could "brand" or burn symbols and fonts that serve many purposes -- directional information; identity information (logos and names), advertising, and planar decoration.
With a cavity below the sidewalk which could dispel warm "stale air" from adjacent buildings we would also achieve a snow-free/ice-free surface here on snowy winter days (less maintenance).
Sidewalk furniture and elements could include a whole array of possibilities -- benches, dining tables, hologram pedestals, statues, retail displays, gaming consoles, awning enclaves, planters -- a veritable wonderland of interest and pedestrian engagement.

A further comment on dispelled air from adjacent buildings that would be exhausted under the pedestrian sidewalks... certainly this air would have to go somewhere beyond just "nesting" under the walkway. The air would be filtered, or course, to remove particulates and grease. But the residual air would still have building odors and so the aroma of restaurants (most notably) would be wafted onto the street through grills at the outer edge of the sidewalk -- the aroma of bakeries, of coffee shops, of ethnic specialties would all spill out onto the street (in some instances it would be Phở King amazing). Not only that, but curbside, on those exceedingly cold winter days when the exhaust and humidity that typically comes off buildings creates huge plumes of white "clouds", in this instance the plumes would rise from the street creating a mystical aura along the sidewalk that would turn the "worst" days of winter into something spectacular. And the same grill that allows spent exhaust air to escape could also serve as the entry opening for a rain gutter system (double duty). The cold-days plume would also crystallize on adjacent plant-groupings affording that wonderful winter-wonderland glaze that occasionally visits Northern 'burbs.
december-fog-landscape-nature-winter-landscape-tree-france-mist-winter-thumbnail.jpg
hoarfrost-dpenner.jpg

Last edited:
Getting to the street architecture along Alberta Avenue and some of the guiding principles for new development, I think that block development perpendicular to the east-west axis of the Avenue, the first 30 metres (100 feet) of depth should be limited to four active floor levels -- say 15 metres (50 feet), with heights behind that able to go up to 50 storeys (we don't want to have a height competition with downtown where many new developments will/and do exceed 50 storeys). More importantly ALL of the uses at street level should be active retail and hospitality uses -- no service outlets like banks, professional offices (lawyers, doctors, architects, etc.), insurance companies, clinics... you get the drift -- nothing that impedes contiguous pedestrian movement along the walkway. Even theatres and galleries should have a retail storefront component. Since there are no autos along 118 Avenue, there should be no refueling stations or auto service businesses. And, while retail and hospitality can explore upper levels as outlets, nothing should come down to street-level that deadens pedestrian linkage. Ideally, it would be nice to have a variety of building heights from single storey to two, three and four levels -- I think that most existing buildings fill that bill.
I am attaching here a link to the town of Davie which developed standards for a similarly envisioned "Western Theme District". I believe that they have gone too far in theme restrictions, but it is an interesting read nonetheless.
I think there should be room for modern interpretations amid a plethora of theme characteristics -- some theme elements might be exaggerated parapets, second level balconies that protrude out over the pedestrian walkway, awnings, double-hung windows, muntin-bar-rich fenestration -- some materials include a plethora of wood types and treatments such as shou sugi ban, decorative oils and stains and forced-weathering; brickwork (especially one of my favorites -- clinker-bricks), stonework, cast-iron work and Churrigueresque detailing.
The high-rise buildings in the background could also be thematic -- suggestive of western landscapes employing forms that are suggestive of buttes and mesas and vertical landscape creations that employ vertical planting.
Buildings such as:
Museum of the American Indian.jpg
Doug Cardinals "Museum of the American Indian"
Mesa-Canyon-Biome.png

Mesa Canyon Biome
Some with integrated mega water features:
images.jpeg
Waterfall Building.jpg

Some featuring Vertical Plant Walls:
240px-Bosco_Verticale_Milano.jpg
http---com.ft.imagepublish.upp-prod-us.s3.amazonaws.com-5f9bb246-b976-11e9-96bd-8e884d3ea203.jpeg

8b174e8f-3d00-463a-be48-d3406f8c292e.jpg

Alberta Avenue subtends an older neighborhood that has been the starting point for many immigrants covering a broad range of nationalities and ethnicities. Even today it is possible to see the cultural melange that composes a history of "beginnings". There is a western anchor to Alberta Avenue -- the Northern Alberta Institute of Technology -- fitting in the sense that it allowed tradesmen of many backgrounds to advance their employment status with career enhancement programs of short duration, thereby propelling the educational impetus of a progressive City. Historically, the western anchor also included the Edmonton Municipal Airport (the main reason that NAIT selected the location that is now its centre).
The Eastern anchor used to be the meat-packing district with processing plants such as Swift Canadian, Burns, and Canada Packers. Also contributing to the easternmost anchor was the Edmonton Exhibition Association grounds and Borden Park which used to house Edmonton's zoo. Here are some interesting articles and websites that help with the understanding of the community in a time-capsule kind of way -- https://www.packingtown.org/ ; http://cec.chebucto.org/ClosPark/Borden.html ; https://www.pressreader.com/canada/edmonton-journal/20071103/281818574474560 ; and https://algirvancanadian.blogspot.com/2012/04/edmontons-borden-park-exhibition.html.
Today the Municipal Airport is gone, the Packing District is gone, the Borden Park Zoo is gone, the Edmonton Exhibition Association grounds (think Northlands) are gone, the Edmonton Gardens arena is gone and its replacement the Edmonton Coliseum is on the way out. What used to be one of the more vibrant and interesting areas of the City is now sputtering, flailing and failing on many levels.
There still remains some interesting infrastructure there -- of course, there is the Avenue itself (now more relegated to a street-traffic thoroughfare than a destination route). The Canadian National rails still remain that once ferried train passengers to Edmonton's downtown CNR terminal. Part of that right-of-way has been repurposed to enable the north-east line of the LRT, but -- as of today -- the CN rails are still there. The "hulk", the Edmonton Coliseum, is still there. The remnant "exposition" buildings of Northlands are still there. And a much-gentrified Borden Park is still there.
So here is my idea for a rejuvenated eastern Anchor replacement and I have mentioned it many times on the Skyrise Cities platform. Turn the Coliseum and adjacent lands into a double-purpose Economic Engine. Here is where a Regional Transportation Hub could be located (I called it ERiTH -- Edmonton Regional intermodal Transportation Hub); and here is where an Ethnic-modeled permanent fair and exposition could also be located (I called it Ethnotica).

Last edited:
Great ideas for conversation @archited. Alberta Ave and area have such a rich history. I enjoy learning more moving forward, but I believe that the last 3 links you posted above aren't opening, I'll check back. Good info from the Community League and Business Association, & past ARP's regarding the history and current direction of the area. First and foremost for me is the loss of the Coliseum - I'm still in denial that the city will be bulldozing the Coliseum!
I agree with your thesis that the city needs a true Regional Transportation Hub (again) and that the Coliseum should be considered, I'd hate to see that monumental structure demolished.
Your idea for a permanent Ethnic/Expo themed community, employment hub, on the mass of available lands is much more interesting & I feel viable. I think we have to wave a massive red flag and put a stop to any rubber-stamping the current deal for this area. Sometimes you get farther ahead by stopping, even taking a step back to see where you have been, and envisioning a clear path forward.
The current plan for Northlands is unimaginative and I worry it will be a parking lot for years/decades to come. A permanent fair/Expo idea is something I've often thought about, mainly due to the literal destruction of a once-great Klondike Day's theme into nothing. You've presented many intriguing ideas to study archited.
Ethnotica has a nice ring to it!

Thanks, @Kaizen for the pickup on the link errors -- I neglected to check them myself after posting -- I believe all are working fine now. It is sad to see a once-vibrant area of the City fall so far out of sorts with its former self.

For those looking to gain a better understanding of where I am going with this "Hobby Project" and other Edmonton ventures I recommend this book --
Scale: The Universal Laws of Growth, Innovation, Sustainability, and the Pace of Life in Organisms, Cities, Economies, and Companies First Edition

by Geoffrey West (Author)

Back at the virtual drawing board once again. And BTW I have peaked the interest of two Edmonton-based developers in the thought process going into Alberta Avenue so who knows? One observation -- decomposed or crushed granite both have about 3% iron composition and 12% alumina in their makeup and so, by mixing in iron filings with this grade of texture, sending a low-current charge through the pavement would definitely sublimate snow as it falls on the surface (again only at times determined by sensors detecting freezing temperatures and high humidity).
The big thing that I wanted to bring up next has to do with the abutting intersections that would be closed off to through traffic (with the exception of 97th street and 82nd street). The closure would leave an end-of-block possibility for some other use. I would like to see a 3-sided enclosure with a projecting roof that would form exterior or al fresco event space. Ideally these would be sponsored spaces that feature western themes: Idea #1 -- The Wilf Carter theatre of Canadian Country and Western Music -- a holographic stage platform that honors performers from the '30s and '40s with auto-animated images of Wilf Carter (Master of Ceremonies), Don Messer, Tommy Hunter, and Hank Snow on the Canadian side and the Carter Family and Jimmie Rogers from the U.S. and Bluegrass notables such as Bill and Charlie Monroe, Earl Scruggs, and Lester Flatt. Holograms would bring all of these performers back to life. Audience participation in the form of Barn Dances and Square dances would engage public participation. AR would be employed to build on the theme environment; Idea #2 -- a parody-based re-enactment of part of Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show (which incidentally traveled the world -- and Bill Cody actually lived in Toronto for a number of years). A small-scale Rodeo where "cowgirls" are riding donkeys and roping miniature yearling cattle; donkey polo between two "cheerleader" squads; greased-pig competitions -- essentially a wild-west show scaled to an urban environment; Idea #3 -- audio-animatronic Alberta zoo --
and
the ultimate safe "petting zoo" remotely controlled to interact with children. Alberta animals can be set in an AR-world featuring wolves, bears, moose and a world of large and small creatures alike; Idea #4 -- Cree village where the language is authentic, translated via smart-phone app depicting culture in a tepee encampment. Again, audio-animatronics in concert with actors and remote cast controllers (for inanimate control) and AR scenery enhancement. Please feel free to thow in other concept ideas.

There are quite a few locations for possible end-of-block sponsored spaces: there are double (north and south) venues at 80th Street, double again at 81st Street -- then there is a strange misalignment of streets at 83rd, 84th, 85th, 86th, 87th, 88th, and 89th street; a happy-stance for differentiated event spaces times two (again, north and south venues); then we go back to aligned streets for 90th, 91st, and 92 streets -- double exposure again; at 93rd street there is only a southern possibility, the northern exposure truncated by the Alberta Avenue Community Centre park; at 94th street we go back to double exposure; at 95th street we have a special circumstance whereby commercial properties line both sides of the street on the southern arm of the street -- the northern arm can have a special event space; 96th street is again slightly out of alignment but still offer two possibilities.
On the west side of 97th street along Alberta Avenue there are twin possibilities at 101st, 102nd, and 103rd; 104th street only has a northern possibility due to an NAIT edifice to the south; 105th and 106th round out the possible locations for both north and south venues.
In total there are 21 possible locations for truncated street specialty venues.
These event spaces as noted in the previous post can be true theme spaces picking up and revitalizing the lost themes of Alberta Avenue.
So, here are some more ideas:
Idea #5 -- An open-air Vaudeville theatre specializing in retro musical acts (music from the big-band era with guest singers that would include holographic re-creations of early songwriter/composers such as R. Nathaniel Dett and Murray Adaskin); followed by Guy Lombardo and the Royal Canadians, Oscar Peterson, and Portia White. Interspersed with the musical performances would be comedy acts, magic performances, dance troupes, and other variety acts. Idea #6 -- A recreation of an early movie theatre with "silent era stars" including the likes of Charlie Chaplin, Mary Pickford, Lillian Gish, Buster Keaton, Gloria Swanson and John Barrymore. Canadian films of the era could include reproductions and/or remakes of classics such as "Battle of the Long Sault", "Back to God's Country", "Cameron of the Royal Mounted", and "Nanook of the North". Idea #7 -- a "Hall of Magic and Mysterious Illusions" using Pepper's Ghost Technology with performances that include such notable works as Joseph Conrad's "Heart of Darkness", W.W. Jacobs' "The Monkey's Paw", R.L. Stevenson's "the Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde", and Mary Shelley's "Frankenstein".
At this point we have covered 1/3 of the potential venues with more ideas to come specifically around ethnic contributions through the early years.

Back at the virtual drawing board once again. And BTW I have peaked the interest of two Edmonton-based developers in the thought process going into Alberta Avenue so who knows? One observation -- decomposed or crushed granite both have about 3% iron composition and 12% alumina in their makeup and so, by mixing in iron filings with this grade of texture, sending a low-current charge through the pavement would definitely sublimate snow as it falls on the surface (again only at times determined by sensors detecting freezing temperatures and high humidity).
i hope their interest has been piqued rather than peaked... :)

as for the snow melting, i wish it were that simple in our climate. :(

if you're going to try and melt the snow, there has to be some method and some place for the water to drain. it's pretty easy to add a trench drain at the bottom of a ramp using a snow melt mechanism (usually glycol loops in our climate but sometimes electricity) but relatively flat areas such as sidewalks can be particularly problematic when windrows etc. impede the drainage flow. the same issue will arise in the direction of the sidewalk where any nominal heaving or shifting of slabs will retain that water only to see it freeze into a solid sheet. wind drifts will create a similar problem, particularly once an ice bridge has formed on top of the melted water which happens often and quickly with our prevalent nw winds. at that point, clearing becomes much more difficult because everything is anchored by ice rather than just snow pack.

as for adding those iron filings, they will soon rust and spall the surface of the concrete they're embedded in which is why warehouse slabs now use stainless steel (which is considerably more expensive) or polypropylene fibers now that asbestos can't be used. i would also be interested to know how you would propose to deal with expansion joints and cracks and the inevitable repair and replacement of sections for servicing and new construction etc. without impeding your current flows.

at the end of the day, nothing beats good snow removal well done by hand and/or equipment. it's also much friendlier to chat with your service provider than with a hidden current. :)

Back