News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Alberta Avenue (118 Ave)

In my experience I haven't noticed any uptick in crime recently and I live in the middle of the neighborhood, though the level of riff raff does change on a block-by-block basis here, so I just live on a good block I think.
I had to yell a guy out of my backyard at 3am a month and a half ago which was something not fun. I feel like I'm seeing more troublesome people around but it's hard to gauge year over year since I don't really keep tabs.

I grew up in the Alberta Avenue precinct -- 91st Street and one lot south of 120th Avenue -- the Avenue theatre was my entertainment destination. The area has always had a bit of a rough edge to it. In the early fifties the Nite'n Day Cafe was the scene of a brawl between army recruits stationed at Griesbach and Zoot-suiters -- the cafe was located at 8003 and 118th Avenue -- "It was the venue for a legendary brawl between soldiers from Griesbach and zoot-suiters from east Edmonton in the early fifties. It was I think less well-known for its food than it was for its 24-hour opening and its rough clientele." https://edmontonjournal.com/news/lo...en-and-zoot-suiters-brawl-on-edmonton-streets ... then there was the Cromdale Hotel where angry young men and flirtatious females always found ways to stir it up.

Honestly we have no where to go but up... Even over in ye auld Northe Highlands (Montrose) which is the quietest of the non-luxury sections of Beverly-Highlands B&A/home invasions are the #1 scourge.. Between my own car and both my 'rents we've had probably $1K in broken windows just from crackheads looking to steal CD's and personal info from our vehicles and even when you strip shit out and leave them unlocked as a last-ditch radical attempt to "deincentivize" the damage it happens... This is why I plan on just selling my car because it's not worth the hassle for the number of times I actually drive it since working exclusively from home post pandemia...

I also propose the City of Edmonton to officially authorize a COPS program... AKA Citizens On Patrol program where you have trained average citizens team up with police to roam problem neighbourhoods during the worst hours to make their presence felt. It works well in smaller towns and cities with similar issues so I can easily seeing it work in a city like Edmonton should it be proactive enough to actually bother. Also gives the worst Ken's and Karen's something to ACTUALLY do besides sit at home and fret about the world going to shit without actually having to step up themselves. It also works effectively as a RW "put up or shut up" pushback as anything else. BONUS! I know because my mom organized and volunteered for one back in Vegreville when we lived there and it help cut down or at least track the worst offenders and bring them to swifter justice when they got caught. Pics and video are the best evidence/defense we have against chaos in the 2020's...

On the Ave this past Monday to browse my fav second-hand shop. Alas, it was closed for the day for some quick reno.
Anyways, I loved their security shutters and had never noticed them before. Nice art and better than a broken window.
DSCN2642~3.JPG

and a few blocks to the east the retail in this little new building (finished last year sometime) was super busy
DSCN2646~2.JPG

Just came across this night market programming starting soon. Hope this little initiative continues building community vibrancy.
FacebookCover-NightMarket.png

Join us this summer for 10 Night Markets in the Alberta Avenue District. Each Market offers different vendors, entertainment, and community partners. Enjoy a laid-back, family-friendly and inclusive environment to pick up locally-made goods, enjoy a bite to eat or sit and relax with friends on a beautiful summer evening.
June 30 | Alberta Avenue Community League
July 14 | Downtown Auto
July 24 & 25 | KDays Pop Up Market
August 11 | Battista’s Calzone
August 18 | Mona Lisa Pub
August 25 | Canadian Dollar Store
September 1 | Battista’s Calzone
September 8 | Battista’s Calzone
September 15 | Downtown Auto

Back