News   Apr 03, 2020
 8K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 9.1K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3K     0 

50 Street Widening & CP Rail Grade Separation

Took a quick look today, the overpass has lanes painted, the road to the east that leads to the CPR yard has been paved. Just have to redo the traffic lanes painting from the overpass south to the freeway

IMG_1500.jpeg

I also saw the painted lines Habibfazil was talking about. I’m guessing this could open on Monday. I also saw a sign on Sherwood Park Freeway that 82 Avenue will be closed from 50-56 Street.

Last edited:
Looked like a tiny bit of work o the south end when I went through yesterday. But could be open any time.
there is a sign posting that access to 82nd ave. will be closed this Friday evening. I assume this means that by Friday traffic will be routed over the overpass. I'm not yet seeing a walk / bike path on the new overpass bridge and i hope that there's one in place before work begins on the western span

Looks like a rough bike/pedestrian path on 50 Street NB (right side).
I emailed the project manager on this one a couple weeks ago asking if the shared use path will be included when the bridge opens. It will not be, the bridge is cars only for now.

There will be continued bike access on the west side along 50st though (they did pave in a path there)

Thank you for your email.

Later this year, when the Northbound Overpass opens, it will accommodate two lanes of traffic in each direction. Please be aware that there will not be a shared-use path on the overpass initially, and pedestrian access will remain as it is until the Southbound Overpass is completed. The pedestrian crossing signal arms at the CP Rail tracks will continue to function as usual.

Once both overpasses are finished, a new shared pathway will be constructed on the east side of the Northbound Overpass, and a sidewalk will be added on the west side of the Southbound Overpass.
Regards,

Edmonton_sig_RGB_S.jpg
Malika Ali, M.Sc.,P.Eng,CMEngNZ
Engineering Program Manager,Transportation Infrastructure Delivery
Integrated Infrastructure Services | Infrastructure Delivery

New 50 Street Northbound Overpass opening to traffic​
September 11, 2024

Join Mayor Amarjeet Sohi, City officials and project partners to celebrate the opening of the 50 Street Northbound Overpass. Media is invited to attend brief remarks, a ceremonial ribbon cutting, photos and to be amongst the first to walk the overpass before the road officially opens to traffic. City staff will be available to answer questions.

Date: Friday, September 13
Time: 12 p.m.
Location: 50 Street project site, between 90 Avenue and Sherwood Park Freeway.

Please meet on the north side of the overpass. City staff will be there to greet media on foot. Parking is available along 90 Avenue. Personal protection equipment (PPE) is not required for this event. Please dress appropriately for the weather.​
For more information:
edmonton.ca/50StreetWidening

Back